Is pairing a Vali with an ODAC bat schiit crazy?
Apr 24, 2015 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

shoegazer72

New Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,

I listen to a lot of dream pop (e.g. Galaxie 500, Asobi Seksu), slowcore (e.g. Codeine, Low) and shoegaze (e.g. My Bloody Valentine) with bits of post-rock, roots rock, electronic, alt-country and even the occasional cello and piano classical piece (!) thrown in for good measure.  I don't listen to much pop, hip-hop, rap, or mainstream country stuff at all.

I have pair of AKG K240 Studios (semi-open, 55 ohm impedance, but somewhat harder to drive than the impedance figure suggests due to its relatively inefficient driver) that I already very much enjoy.  I've heard that the K240 (even the current made-in-China version which I own) responds very nicely to amping - with the right sort of amp.  So I'd like to give that a try.
I like the somewhat warm character of the K240, it's mid-bass bump, and the nice-but-not-too-forward treble.  I wouldn't mind a bit better base extension.

Right now the combination of the JDSLabs ODAC (with RCA output) and Schiit Vali looks particularly good to me.  Some have characterized the Modi as being ever-so-slightly harsher than the ODAC, which is why my inclination is to mix-and-match those components - even if the end result is about $70 more and a bit odd, aesthetically.

Can anybody think of any reasons that I should not pair these components or why the Modi 2 instead of the ODAC is an obviously better choice?

Thanks!

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #2 of 5
  Hey Everyone,

I listen to a lot of dream pop (e.g. Galaxie 500, Asobi Seksu), slowcore (e.g. Codeine, Low) and shoegaze (e.g. My Bloody Valentine) with bits of post-rock, roots rock, electronic, alt-country and even the occasional cello and piano classical piece (!) thrown in for good measure.  I don't listen to much pop, hip-hop, rap, or mainstream country stuff at all.

I have pair of AKG K240 Studios (semi-open, 55 ohm impedance, but somewhat harder to drive than the impedance figure suggests due to its relatively inefficient driver) that I already very much enjoy.  I've heard that the K240 (even the current made-in-China version which I own) responds very nicely to amping - with the right sort of amp.  So I'd like to give that a try.
I like the somewhat warm character of the K240, it's mid-bass bump, and the nice-but-not-too-forward treble.  I wouldn't mind a bit better base extension.

Right now the combination of the JDSLabs ODAC (with RCA output) and Schiit Vali looks particularly good to me.  Some have characterized the Modi as being ever-so-slightly harsher than the ODAC, which is why my inclination is to mix-and-match those components - even if the end result is about $70 more and a bit odd, aesthetically.

Can anybody think of any reasons that I should not pair these components or why the Modi 2 instead of the ODAC is an obviously better choice?

Thanks!

You can drive the Vali with the output of any DAC you like. Only you can decide if the resulting SQ is to your liking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back