Is my Zhaolu DAC 2.0 dead ??
Jun 30, 2006 at 7:37 AM Post #16 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by pmkap
Neil,

While its unfortuneate that we're both on the recieving end of 'teething pains', I consider this to an example of the law of unintended consequences, or, stuff happens. A freind here in NYC recieved a stock Zhaolu, and its been running perfectly. My own Zhaolu had the upgraded caps, and when Eddie reinserted the pc board, he left out the screws securing the board on the front perimeter, and only screwed it down with a single screw in the boards center. Some thing that at the time didn't bother me at all. I've no doubt that the DAC worked perfectly when it left Eddie's and that it had been subjected to that 3 day burn-in when it left HK. But it might be possible that Eddie unknowingly in leaving out those screws, facillitated the boards vibrating on its inter-continental delivery flight, and the result is a stress fracture on the pc board, resulting in our common problem.
As far as what to do, I'll e-mail Eddie and provide a link to this thread. Perhaps he has had this happen with others and has recieved back a faulty board and can point us to the likely place requiring a solder reflow. If not, with Eddie's permission, I'll borrow a magnifying visor (I've terrible eyesight) and try to track down the problem. I've no problem with taking a multimeter and soldering iron to the DAC myself, but would like to avoid any potential finger pointing conflicts.

Its unfortunate that we're the winners of the 'schit happens' contest, but I don't ascribe this to any lack of qc on Eddie's part. We simply learn from our mistakes. Nor am I confidant that the lack of affixing screws are the cause. Does your unit lack the full compliment of fixing screws?

Aside from our problems, I really think the Zhaolu a wonderful, charming DAC. Its even better with minimal opamp upgrades.

At this point, I think it best to pursue this via email with Eddie. Hopefully, the problem was caused by the combination of missing fixing screws and transportation induced vibrations. If so, reinsertion of all screws prior to transport might well fix the problem and avoid it for others in the future.

Regards,
Paul

...That was by far the most brilliant post I have ever read

I do believe Paul here deserves an award for one of the most hilariously sarcastic posts ever on head-fi =D

Jul 1, 2006 at 11:18 AM Post #17 of 25
My Zhaolu also seems to have more issues (beyond those already descirbed, but dealt with in some manner http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...10#post2178310)

When I play bass heavy music, my Zhaolu sometimes loses digital signal lock and thus all sound reproduction ceases! This also occurs if I walk in front of it - it seems there is a loose connection somehwere that responds to vibration in a very unpolite manner.

Nice (not), and it explains why we do not see many more of the Chinese HiFi products in retail stores, reliability does not seem to be their forte. Luckily for us enthusiastic folk, the sound quality overrides the basic requirement for reliability that other folk expect.

Cheers,

Victor

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:28 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by vmajor
My Zhaolu also seems to have more issues (beyond those already descirbed, ...
Nice (not), and it explains why we do not see many more of the Chinese HiFi products in retail stores, reliability does not seem to be their forte. Luckily for us enthusiastic folk, the sound quality overrides the basic requirement for reliability that other folk expect.

Cheers,

Victor

However you and others have spent good money and should receive a reliable product. I think it is sad that the quality is not there since I was kind of looking at this DAC.
mad.gif

Jul 1, 2006 at 1:55 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

My Zhaolu also seems to have more issues (beyond those already descirbed, but dealt with in some manner http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showt...10#post2178310)

When I play bass heavy music, my Zhaolu sometimes loses digital signal lock and thus all sound reproduction ceases! This also occurs if I walk in front of it - it seems there is a loose connection somehwere that responds to vibration in a very unpolite manner.

Cheers,

Victor

When you walk in front of it? Have you confirmed that it's a problem with the DAC itself?

Jul 2, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Luckily for us enthusiastic folk, the sound quality overrides the basic requirement for reliability that other folk expect.

You have GOT to be 5h1tt1ng me. Oh actually yeah, you're right. I don't care if my car doesn't start every day when I need to go to work... because it looks/sounds cool...

I have a solution, just don't play that bass heavy song and/or don't walk in front of the DAC.
rolleyes.gif

Sounds like that episode of Becker with the TV lol.

Jul 2, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrarroyo
However you and others have spent good money and should receive a reliable product. I think it is sad that the quality is not there since I was kind of looking at this DAC.
mad.gif

Sorry to hear some are having major problems (dropped signals , bad internal build assembly). Recieved mine from Hong Kong (Eddie mod version) about a week ago and while I think the front facia and front switch gear is very clunky and ill fitting the guts on my unit were flawless , also the rear I/Os were very well done. It is not fully burned in nor is the Headfive (Meier audio!) but the sound is fantastic. I suppose we all take risks in buying obscure audio gear in hopes to find the "cheap pearl" but I could not be more happy with the sound of this DAC. I do suppose they are selling ALOT of these though perhaps the problems are only a small percent , I hope. Cost/Risk/benefit , analysis I would buy it again.

Jul 2, 2006 at 4:23 AM Post #22 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinwerm
.... Cost/Risk/benefit , analysis I would buy it again.

I've only had mine (Cirrus Logic DAC, dedicated headphone amp) for about 48 hrs, and I must say I share your opinion.

That being said, even on my unit which has no issues related to core functionality there are small annoyances - like the super cheap potentiometer used for the volume control, I don't mind the low-volume channel imbalance, but the hissing noises and tactile "roughness" are quite annoying when adjusting the volume.

I may have to look into replacing it with something better at some point.

As for general quality, I opted to pay more and buy it from the US dealer (Wei, at ifiaudio.com) to minimize my chances of receiving a bad unit. Wei told me he personally tests each DAC he ships out, so there should be no DOA issues.

Granted, if ever parts fail down the road I'll be up the proverbial creek without a paddle. Such is the life of the penny pincher audiophile
580smile.gif

EDIT: After posting this I ran into a LOT of trouble that appears to have been 'caused by a wrong trimpot setting on the headphone amp part of the Zhaolu. For more info see my post history. I'll refrain from commenting on QA/QC of the brand.

Jul 2, 2006 at 5:59 AM Post #23 of 25
Can somebody else who have popping issue try the OPTICAL input. So far (2 days straight) the popping issue disappear after switching to OPTICAL. of course this is not a complete solution, but i just want to know if the COAX input circuit is the main cause of the problem.

Jul 2, 2006 at 6:19 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by device manager
Those of you that are having issues with the volume knob should try pulling it outwards (away from the unit) a tiny bit.

Wow.. so THAT's what the problem with it was. It turns waaay smoother after doing that. I wonder why they pushed it down so hard against the volume pot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back