Is my system considered “Hi-Fi”?
Aug 20, 2021 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Dipypang

New Head-Fier
My audio system:
PC -> USB out -> Fiio K5 Pro ->
(1) RCA out -> Edifier S1000db
(2) Amp out -> Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 (2013)

I’m thinking of upgrade:
1. DAC/AMP to Topping D90SE & A90 stack
2. Headphone to HD600 / HD800s / Hifiman Arya
3. Speakers to Yamaha HS8 + HS8s (subwoofer)

Will I get a much more better audio quality or the upgrade will not be very audible?
With my system right now I can’t hear any difference between Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi. Is it my ears or my system or it’s actually not much different between those 2 streaming service file quality.
I also ripped some CDs and listen to the original PCM wav file but it’s the same with Spotify…

Any recommendations for DAC, AMP, Headphones (dynamic/planar) and Studio Monitors?

Aug 20, 2021 at 9:18 AM Post #2 of 10
Fire up the wallet as Advice #1 music server #2 hp #3 dac # 4 amp #5 cables and interconnects. Good luck try not to shuffle up.

Aug 20, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #3 of 10
Will I get a much more better audio quality or the upgrade will not be very audible?
Yes, there will be a drastic change in sound quality.
. Is it my ears or my system or it’s actually not much different between those 2 streaming service file quality.
I also ripped some CDs and listen to the original PCM wav file but it’s the same with Spotify…
There is a difference between the two that is audible
Any recommendations for DAC, AMP, Headphones (dynamic/planar) and Studio Monitors?
The biggest jumps will always be the headphones, so start there and look around at reviews. Try some on if you ever get the chance at a local store (I don't have that option and many don't). Try to then look at amps and dacs that have synergy with those headphones. Lastly look at your sources (Usb, coax, Digital Converters) and wiring.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:43 AM Post #5 of 10
Fire up the wallet as Advice #1 music server #2 hp #3 dac # 4 amp #5 cables and interconnects. Good luck try not to shuffle up.
I see you’re using HD800s, do you recommend that? I’m choosing between dynamic and planar right now I’m
Yes, there will be a drastic change in sound quality.

There is a difference between the two that is audible

The biggest jumps will always be the headphones, so start there and look around at reviews. Try some on if you ever get the chance at a local store (I don't have that option and many don't). Try to then look at amps and dacs that have synergy with those headphones. Lastly look at your sources (Usb, coax, Digital Converters) and wiring.
any headphone recommendation?

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 10
I only have two hp and 1 iem for a reason, I like them

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 10

That's very tough to answer for somebody else.

I can guess I can hear a difference, but there's no guarantee you would. Even in cases where there are very clear differences just short of totally skewing the entire response profile this is tough to guess for somebody else, much less if you're responsible enough to think of how spending is likely tied to whether you can claim that somebody else will or will not hear any difference.

With my system right now I can’t hear any difference between Spotify and Tidal Hi-Fi. Is it my ears or my system or it’s actually not much different between those 2 streaming service file quality.

It can depend on both you and the music, not just the compression ratio.

For most overproduced and likely synthesized pop and electronic I can't hear the difference between FLAC and Spotify apart from bass being more solid and deeper on FLAC than any other compressed file, but then again I have most of this sort of music on Spotify anyway. For the rest of my music that I have on CD or FLAC download, I can tell the difference, even on Loudness War recordings: obviously the bass has a deeper and more solid "thud" on FLAC, the midrange is fuller owing to reinforcing frequencies that can get cut at the low end, and the top end can seem either darker or more tinny on MP3. The last one can be a lot less obvious on 320bps VBR, except on music that really has a lot of imaging info in the recording even 320kbps will lack that "popping out like on a 3D book" effect on the vocals on headphones (or speakers) that really show this. Note that out of convenience because built in car stereos lost CDs and can't read FLAC, plus how my car isn't exactly a Rolls Royce (ie the ambient noise is still high) I'd still much rather use 320mbps MP3 or Spotify out of my phone regardless of what processor I have hooked up to that car stereo and how many amp channels I use to fix the imaging in a car (note: there's a way around FLAC but it's too much work to do on a car to be honest).

I can't guarantee you can hear the difference even on the exact same music as I can though in the same way that I have a friend that can't tell an HD600 with new pads and not worn tight vs his Apple earphones even though he immediately heard a difference with Grados.

Aug 21, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #8 of 10
I see you’re using HD800s, do you recommend that? I’m choosing between dynamic and planar right now…
Hd800s is recommend any time.
It is so CHEAP in consider its sq. Not only for jazz or instrumental.
Ibasso SR1 (Limited) is also good for its price. Natural sound (need an easy mod), clean and clear, comfort.

Aug 21, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #9 of 10
My audio system:
PC -> USB out -> Fiio K5 Pro ->
(1) RCA out -> Edifier S1000db
(2) Amp out -> Sennheiser Momentum 1.0 (2013)

I’m thinking of upgrade:
1. DAC/AMP to Topping D90SE & A90 stack
2. Headphone to HD600 / HD800s / Hifiman Arya
3. Speakers to Yamaha HS8 + HS8s (subwoofer)

Probably not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back