Is my PSU good for PIMETA?
Aug 10, 2006 at 2:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

applegd

100+ Head-Fier
I have couple nice PSUs (size is about same as the regular laptop power supply) which can easily supply 2000mA current, but its voltage is 12v. Is it good for PIMETA?

BTW what is the typical parts cost for building a PIMETA? I read some threads in this forum, some people said USD 100-150, does this sound correct?

Thanks for help!

Aug 10, 2006 at 2:42 AM Post #2 of 7
The Pimeta is a funny beast... you can build one for $100-$150, on the other hand, you can spend $75 on quad stacked buffers and $55 on a set of OPA627/37, plus board, pot, jacks, other board parts and casing.

Your PSUs are probably switching supplies if they are regulated. You'd be better off with a linear regulated supply like a tread for your Pimeta. Rather than have a huge gob of relatively dirty current you can't use, you're better off with less current but clean current.

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Thanks very much for all the replies!!

I will check the inside of my PSU which is made by HP(Hewlett-Packard). As it only supply 12V, I might have to build TREAD.

Aug 10, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #6 of 7
If you aren't including batteries you can put a Tread behind the amp board in a relatively small Hammond case or something similar and it makes a nice package. You can get a very nice AC-AC wallwart for about $10 or less.

Aug 10, 2006 at 8:28 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeilR
If you aren't including batteries you can put a Tread behind the amp board in a relatively small Hammond case or something similar and it makes a nice package. You can get a very nice AC-AC wallwart for about $10 or less.

Thanks! NeilR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back