Is my old sony D-11 something special, or no true D-11?
Jan 8, 2016 at 8:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

cddeservesdeath

New Head-Fier
I have a sony discman d-11 white colored.

It still works, with a few kind words and a bit of love....

I use it since 26 years, and thats amazing,i think.

now i saw the first time, that my D-11 has an other battery-solution than every D-11, i can find in the web.

Maybe it´s becauae all other D-11 i can find are black, but my D-11 has a battery-box for, also 4 mignon, which can be taken out from the player from behind.

It´s logical that it has to be put in the same way.

Every other detail, instead of the colour is identical.

Is my D-11 just the version for the German market, or is this discman no true d-11.

I remember, that it costed about 600 D-Mark ~300€.

Does anybody know the answer?

And is my D-11 rare?
I can´t find a picture of my D-11 in white nowhere.

I will drive to my parents house toda, where its stand to post a photo of it here.

Thank you. And sorry for my bad english.

Jan 8, 2016 at 8:42 AM Post #2 of 6
I don't think it's that rare.  My DEJ-01 Anniversary edition however is :D

If you have a copy of your battery code, it's possible to find it from Japanese importers.  You can buy rip-off explosion friend cheap ebay types, but the originals are not that dear.  Sony used an array of lithium gumstick batteries which powered everything from cassette walkmans, mini-disc players, CD players to ionisers.   

The quality of these generational portable CD players are unmatched.  The modern ones are all serviceable plastic convenience products without Burr-Bit DACs due to the shift towards lower quality iPods with even more terrible built in amplifiers. 

Jan 8, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #3 of 6
The thing is, that i got this discman as a present on my 12 birthday.

My mother asked a friend of the family, a professional musician, who knowed more about hifi than i know about PC-hardware today.

My mother, i remember was shocked because of the high price, and the man allways said that "this would be the Rolls Royce of the CD-players, of the portable minimum"

I was crying because i wanted a Hifi- tower part black as night.The night before i remember i dreamed, that i would get a player just as big as a cd.

Funny, but i think thats not the kind of information wich is wanted. So forget the last two sentences please,ok?

Ebay startet about 10 years later.

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #4 of 6
I'm sure it was expensive then. 

When the Technics SXLPS 900 came out, this was the first discman with DAC quality and a remote-control  It cost around £300 ($450US) in the 1990s - probably round £1000 in real terms today!   

Alas, electronics depreciate.  The D-11 had a number of coloured models available in the Far East market.  It wasn't a design special or anything unique, but was pricey, a bit like ZX81 computers when they first came out, but not so much 10 years later, but then 30 years later, prices go up due to  moving from being 'outdated' to being 'vintage' then 'classic iconic'      

I'm fond of stuff which others consider junk :)

Minidiscs rule! 

Jan 8, 2016 at 10:46 AM Post #5 of 6
You think that it was made for the Japanese or Asian market?

I thought about this possibility aswell, because i have never seen a second white d-11 all this time. 

and the battery-box which can be taken out of the player, also for 4 mignon. the way it locks is so intelligent and " hochwertig" made.

The fact, that the player is still working 100%.

When i got it it was 1989 i remember in this moment. i wanted to have another CD-player, but there was no way to give it back.

the man who bought it was working at a cologne music-university. He as a great pianist but he had something at his hands....

The possibility that he ordered this D-11 at Sony directly, maybe over an international shop, where the university ordered things.

when i just remember the sound studio he had, i don´t know what there was for sur , but there where min. 50 high.end professional hifi technology-things.

no keyboards, or sothings to make " tonaufnahmen". the room was about 80m² big and there was an Klarinett and a stainway flügel.

every second there was a thing making the air not to dry.....

Yes i´m nearly save that it was a D-11 for or from the japanese market.

I´m back in a few hours with the player. I think than we know more???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back