Is my New Amp broken?!
Dec 23, 2004 at 7:20 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by walkman666
Thanks again Lisa (and sorry to others if I hijacked this thread).

To be sure, when you say: "Put them on your amp's RCA inputs", you mean headphone amp's inputs, right? (d'oh!).

thx, - walkman666

Yes your headphone amp. The pimeta you bought from drew to be exact. Or any other amp you'll use in future will do too.
wink.gif

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #17 of 38
Rightio, Lisa. Thanks again.

Dec 23, 2004 at 7:27 PM Post #18 of 38
Again, if you are using the headphone socket on the Karma, turning the Karma volume down should simulate the effect of fitting attenuators. Start with the Karma volume at zero and gradually turn it up to see if you can find a level that works. Don't go beyond 30. If it hasn't worked by there, that's not your solution.

Dec 23, 2004 at 10:55 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

appar111, FYI (given that you're a fellow Shellbrook shopper): I got my Pimeta from Shellbrook yesterday. It certainly does sound better than the headphone out on my Outlaw 1050 receiver (which I use with a dvd player source when playing dvd-based music videos/concert videos). I've yet to compare it to my headphone out on my better integrated amp and far superior CD player source.

My only qualm is the gain setting, which I discussed with Drew beforehand. I have very little room for adjusting the volume on the volume control before it's too loud: the lowest setting is around 7:00, which leaks sound, and yet the highest I'd go is 9:00 (before it's too loud). Thus, I feel I have very little room to make these very fine adjustments to the volume; it's too little. I'd like a lot more spread to make finer adjustments. I may have Drew adjust the gain if indeed there's room for him to do so. He said he was going to set the gain at "3." My headphones are both low impedance, A-900s and Grado SR-225s, which is surely part of the equation here.

- walkman666

When Drew put together my Maxi Moy, he made it with a gain level of 14. I was using it with my DT770's at the time. It also sounded fine with my Grado SR60's, but you're right-- there doesn't seem to be too much room before it gets too loud. I must like to listen to my music loud (between 8-9:00 on the volume knob with the Grados).

Dec 23, 2004 at 11:27 PM Post #21 of 38
I hearya appar111. So, I did in fact order the attenuators suggested by Lisa, and that should give me more room. I have read on this forum that some folks feel the attenuators may also degrade the audio quality, but that is not consensus.

Lisa, do you perceive a degradation in audio quality with your Rothwell attenuators?

I'll let you know how this pans out, appar111.

- walkman666

Dec 24, 2004 at 8:04 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

I hearya appar111. So, I did in fact order the attenuators suggested by Lisa, and that should give me more room. I have read on this forum that some folks feel the attenuators may also degrade the audio quality, but that is not consensus.

Lisa, do you perceive a degradation in audio quality with your Rothwell attenuators?

I'll let you know how this pans out, appar111.

- walkman666

I have difficulties hearing a difference but i haven't listened much without so I really can't tell. (it's simply too loud without.) From what I've read it should sound different but not worse. I'm planning on doing a comparison between with and without with a low volume recording.
Let us know what you think too.

Dec 24, 2004 at 2:19 PM Post #23 of 38
Right, got it, Lisa. That's what I read in a review of your Rothwell attenuators. I'll do a comparison myself, as I can listen without, but would like the greater control. It would a "nice to have" for me, but is not a "must have."

thx, - walkman666

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:07 PM Post #24 of 38
alea35 thank you for starting this thread. Sorry for butting in here with my tangential experience (Drew from Shellbrook and volume -although my problems have been the opposite of yours) Walkman666 I just got a Pimeta Signature from Drew..well about a month ago. You're question about volume adjustment and appar111's and Lisa's responses really struck a chord with me. Thank you to all of you for your questions and responses. This is my first headphone amp and I kept thinking I needed to turn the volume up more. I should say I had been using a set of Yamaha HP-1's from..a long time ago..in a galaxy..well you get the idea and they were warm and rocking and engaging. When I used them with the Pimeta it was wonderful. Then the Sennheiser HD595's arrived and at first I couldn't listen to certain CD's because they were too bright (now I realize the volume was too HIGH!). I've been listening at 8:00 as a minimum, most of the time setting it on 9-10:00. This was listenable at times, but much too intense most of the time. I thought there was something wrong with the phones, or my overly sensitive ears.

Anyway thank you for your annecdotes and your wisdom.

Everyone here at Head-Fi has been extremely informative and generous with their wisdom and patience with an old noobi like me
cool.gif

Dec 24, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by appar111
When Drew put together my Maxi Moy, he made it with a gain level of 14. I was using it with my DT770's at the time. It also sounded fine with my Grado SR60's, but you're right-- there doesn't seem to be too much room before it gets too loud. I must like to listen to my music loud (between 8-9:00 on the volume knob with the Grados).

Appar,
My portable sources are less loud than my home CDplayer. That could be one of the reasons why you're able to listen with the volume at 9:00 with gain 14. Volume output of different sources vary.

Dec 24, 2004 at 9:55 PM Post #26 of 38
Cool, martyj. Glad my tangent in this thread was value-add to you. We both owe Lisa for the help on the attenuator tip.

I listened "intently" to my "regular" Pimeta last night for a little over an hour. I was using Grado SR-225s and my zenith dvb-218 dvd player, which has decent sound -- but I only use it as a dvd source, not a CD source. Anyway, I did A/B the Pimeta I have from Shellbrook (dual 637 opamsp and a 627 on the ground, according to Drew) with the headphone jack on my Outlaw 1050 receiver, and found the Pimeta to make a noticeable difference. There was far more detail, more what I only describe as "tightness" in the sound, and also a brighter sound compared to the headphone jack on the receiver (and not a shabby receiver at that).

The Pimeta, so far, gets a thumb's up from me. I am basically listening between 8:00 & 9:00, and am curious how the attenuators I ordered (-12db) from headroom affect the sound. Per Lisa and what I have read about the Rothwell attenuators, I expect to gain 2-3 "hours" of volume spread, but also might find some sound differences. One review I read on-line of the Rothwell attenuators indicated a decline in impact, detail (transparency) and speed (sacrifices that clearly affect the sonic signature I covet with my Grados), but an increase in warm and balance. The reviewer though seemed to conclude that the tradeoffs in sonic quality were far more "pro" the Rothwell attenuator than against. Well, I dunno why I am paraphrasing...here is the link for the review I found upon a google for "Rothwell in-line attenuator."

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazin...3/rothwell.htm

martyj: how do you like your signature so far?

I'll let you know how the attenuators work out for me. If they cut out out too much detail and impact, I will not use them. The two hours of volume spread I currently have is not so bad, but it would be nicer to have more "room" to play around with fine volume tuning.

And, I too, feel I owe a big thank you to this community, even though my wallet is a lot lighter after a recent spending spree, cos I know (and hear) I am listening to some very good sounding music thanks to the research and reviews offered here.

- walkman666

Dec 25, 2004 at 3:39 AM Post #27 of 38
walkman, the signature pimeta is great, Drew set the gain at 5 on this amp, I loved the Yamaha HP-1's better with this amp than the Sennheiser HD 595's.. I haven't had the time to audition headphones yet. I saw a Great deal on the HD595's on ebay and couldn't resist.

The Pimeta from Drew has been wonderful. I need to match up the "right" headphones to create synergy with the pimeta and I'll be all set.

I'll be looking for your review of the Rothwell attenuartors. I've also seen attentuators on Meier's website and also at Headroom. The set on Headroom are 6 db and 12 db vs. 10 db for the Rothwells. I have no idea what the difference in sound would be. Maybe the 6 db set would be enough of an attentuation and yet not soften the sound as much as the review on Enjoy The Music reports.

I would like more control over the volume also. Maybe I should buy the 6db set on Headroom or from Meier's Audio. Have a Joyous Holiday.

cool.gif

Dec 25, 2004 at 5:08 AM Post #28 of 38
Hey martyj, to be sure, I got the Harrison Labs minus 12db attenuators from headroom. Rothwell's seem to be more of a euro entity. I'll let you know how they work out in my system. Thanks for the input on your Pimeta. Enjoy your headphone quest!

- walkman666

Dec 25, 2004 at 10:27 AM Post #29 of 38
Meier has attenuators on his site? Where?

I did a brief comparison. Very brief and I what I heard so far is that with attenuators the sound is less harsh. You get a feeling that the treble and bass are less but also much less fatigueing. Don't know if it less or just less smeared and more rounded. This seems to affect the whole frequency range. Sort of the difference between ice chips and ice cream. Both cold and refreshing but the latter is more creamy.
Just a very brief comparison though.

Dec 25, 2004 at 1:57 PM Post #30 of 38
Thx for the attenuator comparison Lisa, and the analogy. Interesting, and somewhat similar to what was described in the Rothwell attenuator review. I am most curious if there is a perceived loss of detail, which the reviewer claims he heard. I'll certainly be on the lookout for that with the Harrison one's I am getting from headroom.

- walkman666

Users who are viewing this thread

Back