Is my nano to blame for low volume on turbines?
Jan 5, 2011 at 11:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Fairchild

New Head-Fier
Hi all,
So I have a fairly new monster turbines (normal model, not the pros) and I have been testing it out... it took some time to find the right tips, the stock ones were directly too big for me... finally I settled on the XS supertips (gel or foam, both work well) and while I am liking the sound I have noticed that driving them to a reasonable level in my laptop is very easy, takes like 15% of the volume, but when I put the same songs into a nano (3rd gen, the square one...) I need to significantly increase the volume to more than 50% to get the same level. I must say that I dont listen to loud levels, actually less loud than most of my friends...
This surprised me since I was expecting that with IEMs I would reduce the volume. Before I was using Sennheiser mx500 earbuds and I would use them at 40% or so...
Now the questions:
- Does this happens to anyone else with these particular IEMs?... it didn´t look from the specs that impedance and sensitivity were too different from the senns
- Is it bad for the hearing to raise the volume if it is in order to reach the normal volume? might be a stupid question haha, I am not sure if sound pressure refers only to the volume
- Do I need a new DAP? I don´t like the idea of portable amps, kind of kills the whole portability idea... suggestions?
Any input will be welcomed
etysmile.gif

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:44 PM Post #2 of 6
I have the same nano and some Turbine( just got them yesterday but I was drunk and shouldn't have been touching my new equpiment stupid me. ;P) But these get alot louder then I am  used too and the isolation makes the volume  even worse cause it has nothing to  compete with.

My turbines sound great even at a sub par listening level, I'd say theough you're not getting a good enough seal I found at firs tthe supplied tips made it hard to get a good seal. I'd gotten better now and now I get the full isolation( such as not hearing a firetruck going down the road  while my music wasn't playing.

These sound pretty good at approximately 40% to me, especially just sitting here at my desk. I do find they mask details at the lower volumes though, such as high end Headphones do when used out of a crap source and no amp.

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Nano's put out some serious power compared to say a Sony S series or Sansa Clip's. You should have no issue powering your Turbines.  Seal seal seal! *arf*

Jan 5, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #4 of 6
listening levels are different for all of us, 50-60% is about how much i used the turbines with my ipod classic, the turbines aren't very efficient IEMs by any means so that should account for the need to increase the volume

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:00 AM Post #5 of 6
Wow, buffalowings made a helpful post. (joking, joking)

Everyone's listening levels are different, and every IEM is different. 50% volume isn't all that uncommon for headphones, nor does it seem like a particularly loud level to me. My Turbines are usually at around 25-30% out of my P3, which is a pretty powerful DAP. 50% seems about right for the dinky little iPod nano. Sorry, I don't like Apple.

Jan 6, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Nano's put out some serious power compared to say a Sony S series or Sansa Clip's. You should have no issue powering your Turbines.  Seal seal seal! *arf*

mm, I think i get a decent seal, at least i can feel is airtight when I break it to take them out... Is that enough or should I be looking for total isolation?
It might be related to the efficiency... I bet my laptop puts out a lot more of power so that would explain the small ammount of volume needed...
Is dangerous for the hearing a 50-60% powered nano? Kind of worried about this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back