Is my mind going to be blown?
Sep 9, 2013 at 3:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

victorc

New Head-Fier
I'm completely new to audiophile stuff and was wondering if buying high end equipment is really worth it for the price. The best I've ever heard is flac audio coming straight out of the 3.5 mm jack in my computer to some Sony mdr-v6's, so not that good in other words. if I bought a stax sr-2170 with an hrt streamer, or a hifiman he-500 with an ef2a, would my mind be blown? I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should invest in this kind of stuff because there aren't any hi-fi shops near me to try anything out. I do have the money but I feel like if I just buy a fiio e17 and use my mdr-v6's ill be satisfied enough. Can anyone share some stories about the first time they used hi end gear?

Sep 9, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #2 of 15
I'm completely new to audiophile stuff and was wondering if buying high end equipment is really worth it for the price. The best I've ever heard is flac audio coming straight out of the 3.5 mm jack in my computer to some Sony mdr-v6's, so not that good in other words. if I bought a stax sr-2170 with an hrt streamer, or a hifiman he-500 with an ef2a, would my mind be blown? I'm having a hard time figuring out if I should invest in this kind of stuff because there aren't any hi-fi shops near me to try anything out. I do have the money but I feel like if I just buy a fiio e17 and use my mdr-v6's ill be satisfied enough. Can anyone share some stories about the first time they used hi end gear?

Heya,

Just getting a nice mid-fi headphone and connecting it to a discreet source was enough to get me addicted. A good open or semi-open headphone with a great sound stage and great resolution and extension will give you a huge experience compared to an inexpensive closed headphone with less sound stage.

I think anyone interested in audio should strive for the mid-fi offerings with a very humble DAC/AMP that handles it, and can actually just stop there if you're looking at bang for buck. Only go past this is you are looking to be an enthusiast who is interested in technical superiority of components, that last 1% of quality that you can't even really hear with your ears, but leaves you smiling knowing you have it (or at least you believe you have it), etc, in other words, the high end and summit end of things. I say this as someone with high end gear, coming from entry and mid-fi.

I would look at (just some suggestions):

AudioTechnica AD900X
Beyer DT880 PRO (250ohm)
Hifiman HE-300
Sennheiser HD600 (or HD580 if you can find one)
AKG K702 (or Q701)
Philips Fidelio X1

And start with something like a Fiio E10.

Basically $200~300 headphones with a $60 dac/amp. It's expensive, since it's not entry prices, but it easily can be an end game solution for audio, and really gives you the best audio for the dollar in my opinion and experience.

Very best,

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 15

Some good advice from MalVeaux above.  New headphones would be a larger difference than just sticking an e17 in the mix.  What kinds of music do you listen to?  The Philips Fidelio X1 is a great all-rounder.  This thread could give you the reactions of some people hearing higher-end stuff for the first time:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650328/non-audiophile-reactions-to-high-end-headphones-part-ii

Sep 9, 2013 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 15

Heya,

Just getting a nice mid-fi headphone and connecting it to a discreet source was enough to get me addicted. A good open or semi-open headphone with a great sound stage and great resolution and extension will give you a huge experience compared to an inexpensive closed headphone with less sound stage.

I think anyone interested in audio should strive for the mid-fi offerings with a very humble DAC/AMP that handles it, and can actually just stop there if you're looking at bang for buck. Only go past this is you are looking to be an enthusiast who is interested in technical superiority of components, that last 1% of quality that you can't even really hear with your ears, but leaves you smiling knowing you have it (or at least you believe you have it), etc, in other words, the high end and summit end of things. I say this as someone with high end gear, coming from entry and mid-fi.

I would look at (just some suggestions):

AudioTechnica AD900X
Beyer DT880 PRO (250ohm)
Hifiman HE-300
Sennheiser HD600 (or HD580 if you can find one)
AKG K702 (or Q701)
Philips Fidelio X1

And start with something like a Fiio E10.

Basically $200~300 headphones with a $60 dac/amp. It's expensive, since it's not entry prices, but it easily can be an end game solution for audio, and really gives you the best audio for the dollar in my opinion and experience.

Very best,

Agree'd and honestly for me, the Beyer Dt 880 PRO 250 ohm is what got me hooked! I'd grab something like a Fiio E17 and a Beyer Dt 880, and that should be a great start into the hobby! I was BLOWN away by my oDac and Matrix M Stage combo with my Dt 880. 

Also for Closed Headphones the Sound Magic HP 100 are very simmilar to the Sound of the Dt 880, and they cost slighty less. So The Dt 880 or Sound Magic Hp 100 are my recommendations,

In addition the Sound Magic Do not need an amp, yet they improve with one, so an E17 would be great for both 

Some good advice from MalVeaux above.  New headphones would be a larger difference than just sticking an e17 in the mix.  What kinds of music do you listen to?  The Philips Fidelio X1 is a great all-rounder.  This thread could give you the reactions of some people hearing higher-end stuff for the first time:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/650328/non-audiophile-reactions-to-high-end-headphones-part-ii

I disagree, I found that my oDac made a HUGE differance over my On Board Sound Card, still if you can afford both I'd shoot for it! As A headphone is like Skillet, if your cooking bad meat [from a bad source] in a GREAT cast iron pan... well it's still going to taste a little mediocre, where as you put a good PRIME steak in that awesome Cast Iron pan and you've got a WOW factor 

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 15
Ok so from what I've read hif fi set ups do actually blow minds. Does anyone know if a fiio e17 can drive a hifiman he-400 successfully?

From what I've read, yes. But I can let you know for sure when my 400 comes in next week.

Sep 9, 2013 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 15
From what I've read, yes. But I can let you know for sure when my 400 comes in next week.

I would not drive an Orotho with an E17... granted it might be "sufficently" loud. But ortho's are KNOW to be current hungry... but it might work! [I got a iBasso PB1 for the driving of all my portables] 

Sep 9, 2013 at 6:18 PM Post #9 of 15

Alright thanks you can just pm me whenever you get to listen to it. I've read that it works but its just really harsh or something, so getting that cleared up would be a big help.

Will do.

Sep 23, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #10 of 15

Alright thanks you can just pm me whenever you get to listen to it. I've read that it works but its just really harsh or something, so getting that cleared up would be a big help.

So, I just tested the 400 off the E17, (about 200mW at 35ohm) and then off my Starlight (about double the E17's power) and I say go for the E17.  I had to push it almost to max volume at some points, but there is no distortion.  If you have very quiet source material, it could be an issue, but the material would need to be VERY soft.  Changing the E17's gain to 12db can help in that case though.  I don't think you'll have any problems.

I also recommend going for the E17 because you will want some EQ capabilities with the 400.  The drivers are amazing, but the signature is a little wonky IMO.  EQ turns good into great in this case.

Sep 23, 2013 at 11:41 PM Post #11 of 15

So, I just tested the 400 off the E17, (about 200mW at 35ohm) and then off my Starlight (about double the E17's power) and I say go for the E17.  I had to push it almost to max volume at some points, but there is no distortion.  If you have very quiet source material, it could be an issue, but the material would need to be VERY soft.  Changing the E17's gain to 12db can help in that case though.  I don't think you'll have any problems.

I also recommend going for the E17 because you will want some EQ capabilities with the 400.  The drivers are amazing, but the signature is a little wonky IMO.  EQ turns good into great in this case.

And everything sounded good? I mean, that's good if the e17 can drive the he-400s, but does it sound like it should? Pretty much what I'm asking is does it sound like a $400 dollar headphone with the e17 haha

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 15
And everything sounded good? I mean, that's good if the e17 can drive the he-400s, but does it sound like it should? Pretty much what I'm asking is does it sound like a $400 dollar headphone with the e17 haha

I have not heard the E17 and the HE-400 together, but it's probably going to depend on how loud you want to listen and if you like bass heavy music and/or like to boost the bass output. If you listen at only moderately loud volumes, that I would imagine it would be fine. But if you want to have heavy bass output for EDM and run it pretty loud, you might run out of headroom on the amp where the bass could be cleaner with more power.

That being said, if you can afford it and don't need a portable setup, I would go with the Schiit Modi and Magni separate DAC and headphone amp (a) for the little better SQ and power you would get over the E17 (they are a step up) and (b) because it's nice to have separates in case later on you want to try a different headphone amp, like a tube amp.

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:38 AM Post #13 of 15
I have not heard the E17 and the HE-400 together, but it's probably going to depend on how loud you want to listen and if you like bass heavy music and/or like to boost the bass output. If you listen at only moderately loud volumes, that I would imagine it would be fine. But if you want to have heavy bass output for EDM and run it pretty loud, you might run out of headroom on the amp where the bass could be cleaner with more power.

That being said, if you can afford it and don't need a portable setup, I would go with the Schiit Modi and Magni separate DAC and headphone amp (a) for the little better SQ and power you would get over the E17 (they are a step up) and (b) because it's nice to have separates in case later on you want to try a different headphone amp, like a tube amp.

yeah I'm pretty sure I'm just go gonna for the schiit set up and look for a used he-400 on the forums here. Thanks dude you helped alot

Sep 24, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #14 of 15
yeah I'm pretty sure I'm just go gonna for the schiit set up and look for a used he-400 on the forums here. Thanks dude you helped alot

Be sure to research about the revisions of the HE-400. There was one version that people were not happy with you'll want to avoid when buying used, but that has since been corrected. Research and ask questions in the owners thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-impressions-and-discussion-thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Back