Is my iPod on its Death Bed?
Feb 18, 2009 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

autosound

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys,

So my iPod, 5G Video, has started acting funny. It takes it at least 10 minutes to get to a song and it has started to click on me. If you've experienced this before, is it at the point of no return or is there anything I can do this salvage this guy. I just bought an amp and don't have the money to shell out for a new source. Please give me some good news, thanks guys.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:19 AM Post #2 of 23
I believe I've had this, the HDD died for the most part. It'd boot up once in awhile and work for a few hours total, but eventually I'd get that "you need to restore" error.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:22 AM Post #4 of 23
when my 5g ipod dies I will be buying whatever the biggest 1.8 hdd that is compatible that exists for it. I want a 500gig ipod!!!

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:35 AM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sounds like the HD is aboot deading... if you got the skillz you can buy a new HD and replace it.

By skillz do you mean experience with K'Nex and Legos, because then yea....I got skillz.

But seriously, how difficult do you think the replacement will be? I don't want to be without my music....

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:41 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by autosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By skillz do you mean experience with K'Nex and Legos, because then yea....I got skillz.

But seriously, how difficult do you think the replacement will be? I don't want to be without my music....

sadly not lego skillz. you have pm of a video walk through of what it takes to replace.

Feb 18, 2009 at 2:52 AM Post #7 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by DanTheMiataMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sadly not lego skillz. you have pm of a video walk through of what it takes to replace.

Thanks a lot Dan,
The video is very useful and actually gives me the confidence to replace the drive myself. Do you know what drives I should be looking for and which ones to avoid?

Feb 18, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #8 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by autosound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks a lot Dan,
The video is very useful and actually gives me the confidence to replace the drive myself. Do you know what drives I should be looking for and which ones to avoid?

1.8 is all i know but the all mighty google can prolly help.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:39 AM Post #10 of 23
Feb 18, 2009 at 4:48 AM Post #11 of 23
sweeet that is massive... for an ipod.

DanTheMiataMan would you mind PMn me that video as well? It would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think that anything other than the hdd and battery would die in the ipod in a reasonable amount of time? (10 years?)

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:55 AM Post #12 of 23
This will sound weird, but, if your warranty is up and apple says that it would cost a lot to fix it (Take it to apple and see what they say before anything else!), remove the hard drive and... shake it. I have no idea why this works, but when my 3G stopped working, I looked around on the web and this was an oft-mentioned remedy. Sure enough, I tried it and my Ipod has worked like a charm since (over a year and a half)

If you can't get it fixed another way, you might as well give it a go. Use it as a last resort if it dies all the way.

Feb 18, 2009 at 4:56 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Burninate35 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sweeet that is massive... for an ipod.

DanTheMiataMan would you mind PMn me that video as well? It would be greatly appreciated.

Do you think that anything other than the hdd and battery would die in the ipod in a reasonable amount of time? (10 years?)

This is actually the link Dan sent me, in case anyone else would need it.

How to Replace iPod Video Hard Drive

Feb 18, 2009 at 5:24 AM Post #15 of 23
Congrats! You've won!

The prize is a lesson on why real spinning hard drives in a portable device is an extremely stupid design, and to avoid every spending money on something like that again unless it has a solid state drive! TADA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No seriously. It took me three ipods to learn this lesson. Now I'm happy with my Nano, and now my iPhone. Fantassssstic.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back