Is my iMod 4g totally dead?
Mar 30, 2008 at 11:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

johnnylexus

500+ Head-Fier
It won't take a charge at all. When it's plugged into the charger it alternates between the apple logo and a picture a an ipod with a sad face. Should I toss it in the trash?
frown.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 12:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnylexus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It won't take a charge at all. When it's plugged into the charger it alternates between the apple logo and a picture a an ipod with a sad face. Should I toss it in the trash?
frown.gif

I remember reading that Vinnie of Red Wine Audio warrants his iMods for life, so why would you want to throw it away? Contact him and send it in.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:34 PM Post #4 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by RickB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remember reading that Vinnie of Red Wine Audio warrants his iMods for life, so why would you want to throw it away? Contact him and send it in.

Best advice anyone could give.
biggrin.gif
While the unit is with Vinnie you could have him:

1. Put a larger battery
2. Replace the headphone plug (if it is giving you trouble)
3. If your iPod is 30 or 40 have him put a 60 gB HD (a new back might be needed)

Of course you would have to get items 1-3 and ship them with your ipod to Vinnie as well as pay for the return S&H.

Mar 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 10
one thing is holding him to the warranty if theres a defect or there was some damage, but if the ipod died of "natural causes", i dont think that holding vinnie responsible will do much good, after all, the ipods are made by foxconn, a company whos motto is basicly "who needs build quality when we make 3 for the price of 1"

anyways, if vinnie can fix it, great, but also consider that the 4th gen ipod has some years on it, and the life expectency of the avarage ipod is around 18 months,

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

OMG, I just slammed my iPod firmly into the palm of my hand and it STARTED WORKING !!!!

Amazing.

Yeah, nice, that's how you fix Ipods
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 30, 2008 at 6:02 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

OMG, I just slammed my iPod firmly into the palm of my hand and it STARTED WORKING !!!!

Amazing.

Sounds like your hdd was hung up. Check the disk with a utility for me, if it doesn't come up with any errors you are in the clear. But if it does your HDD will start getting corrupt and your songs will not play right, and your ipod will not work right.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 10
I had that problem with my 4G iMod. Sent it to Vinnie and he sent it back saying nothing was wrong this happened a few times, and I put a new battery in it and low and behold it did it again. What I ended up doing was buying an iPod opening tool and then when it did that I'd open it up, unplug the battery then plug it back in and all was good again...until the next time.
(Which is partly why I know have a 5.5G iMod
biggrin.gif
)

Though contacting Vinnie is always the way to go if you're not sure what to do and then he can guide you from there.

Mar 31, 2008 at 3:59 AM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Amazing.

Good stuff
biggrin.gif

There is actually some problem with the electricity of the hard disk. Sometimes you iPod doesn't work, just open it up, unplug the harddisk cable,and put it back and it works again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back