is my IEM causing hearing loss or just too tight against my ear?
Apr 21, 2014 at 9:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ihavesmallears

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm pretty new to anything except cheap standard headphones and ear plugs and I recently purchased a pair of shure 215 IEMs. As my username suggests I have smaller ears than normal.

I generally listen to music on quiet noise levels because of the sound isolating effects but experience slight ringing in my ears like I've listened to loud music. Is it because of the sound levels or will having plugs that are too large cause my ears to ring? 

I am currently using the small sized black olive foam tips as they create a tighter seal than the silicone ear piece without putting too much pressure on my ear canal but It is firmly in my ear.

I don't think it's damaging to my ears but I love my new shures and will be listening to them a lot and I'm slightly worried about long term effects. 

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Ringing is a sign that your ears are not happy. Best to consult a doctor (instead of a headphone enthusiast forum) in case this is an indicator of something else going on with your hearing.

Apr 21, 2014 at 9:28 PM Post #4 of 4
I have tinnitus. You don't want that, so good to check with the doctor. Definitely sucks when the ringing becomes permanent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back