Is my IE8 cable faulty?
Nov 6, 2009 at 1:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

toffeefan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, this morning when i was fiddling around with my IE8 cables, i noticed some gold or yellow residues covering the tip of my cables. Is this normal and will it affect the quality of the sound? And if so, is it possible to get it replace under warranty? I've attached a picture with the affect area circle in red, its not very clear as i take it with my cam phone (click the thumbnail for larger image). Thanks for the help.

Nov 6, 2009 at 1:57 AM Post #2 of 10
Don't believe that it would affect the sound, do they sound any different? My IE7 definitely doesn't have that gold residue there.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:08 AM Post #4 of 10
Looks like the nickel plating is wearing off. It will affect the sound in that the contact will be compromised leading to intermittent output and loss of bass.

I wish someone made an upgraded cable for the IE8s...

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:01 AM Post #5 of 10
Thanks for the feedback guys.

-ChroniCali
I don't know if they sound any different as i only discover the chipping off till recently. I might have listen with the faulty plating all along without realizing it!

-demo1
Great, thanks for the input. Hope my local distributor will do a one to one exchange with me.

-jwbrent
No upgrade cables till now means that the current cables for IE8 are so good that no one has found a way to make a better cable yet
beyersmile.png
. Btw, is that nickel plating on the cables? I heard someone said they are made from silver.

Nov 6, 2009 at 2:26 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by toffeefan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the feedback guys.

-jwbrent
No upgrade cables till now means that the current cables for IE8 are so good that no one has found a way to make a better cable yet
beyersmile.png
. Btw, is that nickel plating on the cables? I heard someone said they are made from silver.

lol. Possibly, but I'm sure there is some enterprising guy/company out there who will market a replacement cable in the future.

Usually, nickel plating is what's used. Sennheiser could have used silver plating but I would think they would have made a mention of that in their marketing, so my thought is it's nickel.

Nov 9, 2009 at 1:31 AM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Take a look at this: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...ml#post5667992.

I encountered the same problem with my IE7s. I remember this creating a lot of static every time I turned/touched the plug. I gave Sennheiser a call and they were happy to replace them under warranty. I then got rid of the IE7s and upgraded to the IE8s.

So yes, you can get them replaced.

Dang! I called the Sennheiser service center in Singapore and the lady who attended to me said that the warranty does not cover the wear and tear of cables. I then asked her why other service centers of theirs in other countries were happy to replace them straight away and she got no answer. Anyway, she has refer this issue to her manager and will get back to me shortly. I hope all turns out well
smile.gif

Nov 9, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #9 of 10
Ok. Now i'm officially irritated
angry_face.gif
. Sennheiser Singapore told me the cables are not covered by their warranty after 6 months (for wear and tear issue). Then what does their 2 year warranty cover?!?? I've always handle the cables with care and same with demo1, i used the IE8 with the same source with my other headphones/iems with no problems, yet they are continuing to chip off my IE8 sliver plating. This IE8 is less then a year old.

I've cable problems too with my d jays in the past (after 1+ yr of usage, left channel wire broke), yet no question was ask when i sent the item back. They immediately sent me a brand new d jays.

I'm so disappointed with their customer/warranty services. Especially I've paid so much for this product, i expect a customer service the same as what i got from the jays company or even better.

What you guys think? Would you guys save all the hassle and pay for the cables as what senn singapore suggested? Or send an email to their customer service manager and hope for the best?

Nov 9, 2009 at 5:53 PM Post #10 of 10
i am sad for you man,i dont know why such a gigantic company has different customer services in different countries!it is supposed to be a proffessional company and the shop you got the ie8 from is also not honest about the warranty.if i were you,ill save the hassle and keep the cable if it doesnt interfere with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back