Is my Gilmore Lite sufficient for K701?
Dec 4, 2006 at 9:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

cvince

100+ Head-Fier
I've read everywhere that K701s need lots of power to perform at their full potential. Is the Gilmore Lite considered a weak amp by any chance?

I do find myself turning the volume past half-way a lot of times on softer classical recordings, and I'm really not used to having to turn things this high.

I like the sound coming out of the Gilmore Lite, but I'm wondering if a more powerful amp will make it sound even better?

Are musical fidelity X cans more powerful than the gilmore lite?

I really want to have the heed canamp, but I have a budget and the heed canamp exceeds it.

Any other suggestions?

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #2 of 17
The GL is a good amp with the K701. It has 1 Watt of power output which is the same as the GS-1. It shouldn't be considered a weak amp at all.

Plus it is nice and small
biggrin.gif

The X-cans puts out about 1 Watt also.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 17
Same cans/amp here, but I have the dedicated PSU as well. Even with that, I'm usually at 3 notches above the 12 o'clock position. What you've asked has crossed my mind occasionally but it doesn't trouble me because it does sound good as is. The amp does get hot but I know it hasn't got the best ventilation atm.

The other thing is, I use foobar with replaygain. If I turn off replaygain, on some albums I'd have the volume set to maybe 1/3 of the max, which (when looking at the use of the amp) is much more comforting. But as you said, on quieter older recordings, without RG, I'd be cranking it just as hard as you do.

I'd definitely be interested to know what others who've made a comparable change/upgrade from this amp think about this.

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #4 of 17
What is your take on DPS vs no DPS?

Would the money be better spent on an external DAC?

Dec 4, 2006 at 10:38 PM Post #5 of 17
i think the gilmore light (dynalo?) should be fine for the K701's... if anything the next improvemnet would be making your 701's balanced and running them from a dynamid (aka gilmore refrence?)

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:44 PM Post #6 of 17
I think it was designed like that, to give you the maximum amount of travel space on the pot as possible. I personally think it has the power to drive it well, it's just that the sound signature may not be the best pairing with the k701 - a little lean in my opinion.

Dec 4, 2006 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...it's just that the sound signature may not be the best pairing with the k701 - a little lean in my opinion.

"...a little lean in my opinion". Could this be the camel's nose peaking under the tent that creates that tiny itch only a $500-$1,000 amp can scratch?
biggrin.gif

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:28 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by cvince /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is your take on DPS vs no DPS?

Would the money be better spent on an external DAC?

I haven't A'Bed with and without. I bought the DPS thinking I would use the amp transportably at work, but ended up never bothering to bring it. I'll play around with it at home if I remember and let you know.

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by daggerlee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
may not be the best pairing with the k701 - a little lean in my opinion

Agreed. Errr, although this is getting slightly away from the main topic: with a DAC (zhaolu, esp unmodded) like yours it can sound like razor blades, I tried a very similar combination. It's why I prefer a NOS DAC. But when you're talking about shifting the overall tonal balance of ur rig via choice of DAC, it's getting right down to the very very small details, as the amp and cans have much moer impact on that. I consider the K701+GLite as *ever-so-slightly* on this side of 'lean'. But if we were talking on a visual scale of say a 12 inch ruler, with 6" being neutral, then the GLite is maybe only 1" towards the lean side; not much in it at all. With certain DACs it would be pushed way into the lean side, with others (eg NOS), it may well bring it to very near 'perfect'. I only bring this up since the OP asked if they would get more out of a DAC than the DPS (which I'll test tonight).

Then again, I came from the HD650 thinking it was too warm... it's all opinion :p

Dec 5, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #10 of 17
I like upper-end clarity.

The Gilmore Lite definitely offers it.

If you do A/B your Glite w/ and w/o DPS, can you please inform me whether the sound is produced with greater authority with the DPS?

My main issue with my setup at the moment is the small scale of the sound.
An orchestral crescendo from piano to fortissimo just doesn't make my heart rush as much as the real thing (or as much as on speakers).

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rincewind /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. Errr, although this is getting slightly away from the main topic: with a DAC (zhaolu, esp unmodded) like yours it can sound like razor blades, I tried a very similar combination. It's why I prefer a NOS DAC. But when you're talking about shifting the overall tonal balance of ur rig via choice of DAC, it's getting right down to the very very small details, as the amp and cans have much moer impact on that. I consider the K701+GLite as *ever-so-slightly* on this side of 'lean'. But if we were talking on a visual scale of say a 12 inch ruler, with 6" being neutral, then the GLite is maybe only 1" towards the lean side; not much in it at all. With certain DACs it would be pushed way into the lean side, with others (eg NOS), it may well bring it to very near 'perfect'. I only bring this up since the OP asked if they would get more out of a DAC than the DPS (which I'll test tonight).

Then again, I came from the HD650 thinking it was too warm... it's all opinion :p

Yeah it was probably my DAC that did it. I remember at the time having the AD1852 board, which is regarded as being a lot more 'airy' and 'transparent' than the CS4398 board. So that combination of AD1852 + Glite + K701 did sound a little lean. Just for the record I owned HD580s which I also found too warm, I imagine the HD650 sound similar.
smily_headphones1.gif

Also I just remembered that the GLite was designed with the specific purpose of driving Grados well, i.e. being able to output massive amounts of current. but then again, Grados are much more efficient than K701s. who knows, I don't pretend to be an EE expert.

Dec 5, 2006 at 2:22 AM Post #12 of 17
P = IV

V = IR

P = (I^2)R

Greater resistance, lower current.

Higher current, lower resistance.

High school physics indicates that the Gilmore Lite was not designed for high impedance phones in mind.

Regardless, Who knows if this impacts the sound quality?

Dec 5, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #13 of 17
Yeper, there sure are a whole lot of variables dictating and defining that elusive term "synergy" going on between Amp / Headphone that can only be known by high recommendation or better yet in person. Ergo the value of meets or buying and trying with the F/S forum here on Head-Fi.
Another point mentioned was that of watt output. Whereas having no meaning with relation to percieved presentation. Most, if not all headamps (correct me of the exceptions) run at 1w or less as to prevent overdriving (again most) Headphones rated for 1w... Yet, I can tell you the fact is topology in the case of the Heed specifically rated @ .86w has a hella lot more POWER than the HeadFive for instance of a diferent topology type yet rated @ 1w.

As to the position of the pot; That is of no concern really and dependent upon two things input from the source could be less than some others, IE. home CDPs or ipods (not sure where your specific soundcard fits into this, in terms of preamping the signal) , also the load the specific headphone presents to the signal provided. Yes, the 701s will make most amplifiers pot to be turned further to the right for the same volume output all other things being equal(the recording as you say) vs another can of higher sensitivity.

To the OP, I haven't heard the G lite but reportedly it does do better with an upgraded power supply (I would believe, although one post here says no from direct experience(?)) as does also, highly regarded Slee Solo with upgraded PS and further so does the XcanV2&3 with the "little pinky" just for instance.... All still only putting out 1w or less to the phones....

Best regards~

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:22 PM Post #14 of 17
Well. That was a surprise.

You asked about the dynamics of music, so I've been listening to Beethoven's Symphony No. 5 in C Minor (FLAC, from the "Immortal Beloved" soundtrack), for the past hour, and damned if I can tell a solid difference between the wallwart and the DPS
frown.gif

I listened through the whole song using one, then the other several times, couldn't tell a difference. I listened to just the opening "bum bum bum baaaaaa", MANY times over, taking note of particular sounds, horns, whatever I could focus on to try and eek out a difference... nothing. When I think back to what my Storm DAC sounded like, and the extra low punch and general ambience it added, and assuming you have decent power (the DPS may be designed more as a "fix up/correct your dirty power" thing.. I don't know any more), I think you would be better off getting a NOS DAC to 'beef up' or 'fill out' the sound of the K701.

That's really kind of disappointing. I'm going to wait til I have my new DAC and see if I can tell any difference then. Maybe I'll flog it off if I can't. Or maybe I'll just keep it in case it is making a difference that is infintessimally small, but exists nonetheless. Either way, if you want bang for buck at this stage, I'd say the DPS isn't worth doubling the price of the GLite, at least not with the AC coming out of my wall.

Headamp said that the DPS makes the Glite pretty much the realm as the GS-1 in terms of performance. I doubt they'd say that unfounded, so I'll listen more over a longer period and post again.

Dec 5, 2006 at 12:42 PM Post #15 of 17
I have the 501's with the Dynalo and find the combination good - just not great, but I don't think it's the optimum amp for the AKGs or the Senns for that matter. The best the Dynalo sounded was with the MS1's no question - great synergy. I find the sound a little thin with the Dynalo and AKGs, it ticks all the right boxes but fails to provide that immersive engaging experience imo and setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back