Is my focusrite scarlet 2i2 sufficient as a DAC?
Jul 17, 2017 at 5:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

domsch1988

100+ Head-Fier
The easy part first: It's Headphone out is not great (mildly said). It's way to quiet and noisy. I'll be upgrading to a Magni 2 soon.

The more important question: Is the DAC good enough? Will the Modi provide a audible upgrade in sound quality? The Interface is staying anyways, as i need it for recording purposes. I couldn't find any specific information on the DAC part of the interface sadly.
Or should i get a better interface all together (and improve recording quality at the same time)?

Jul 17, 2017 at 6:41 AM Post #2 of 6
I have the Solo and it works just fine as a DAC. Of course there are better external DACs out there but in the Modi 2 price range it'll pair up just fine with Magni 2. Also its a pretty good interface so unless youre planning on going pro, you shouldnt really need to upgrade. The mic will make more of a difference really. I have the Solo and AT2035 and it sounds great. Good luck!

Jul 17, 2017 at 7:55 AM Post #3 of 6
The easy part first: It's Headphone out is not great (mildly said). It's way to quiet and noisy. I'll be upgrading to a Magni 2 soon.

The more important question: Is the DAC good enough? Will the Modi provide a audible upgrade in sound quality? The Interface is staying anyways, as i need it for recording purposes. I couldn't find any specific information on the DAC part of the interface sadly.
Or should i get a better interface all together (and improve recording quality at the same time)?

I wouldn't worry about the DAC chip or even the output stage on an interface, they're pretty good. Your bigger problem with an outboard headphone amp is how to set the preamp output to 2v. If that's the max output then it's easy - just set the volume control to max. Otherwise, it gets tricky.

However since you need it for recording then it has to stay. Alternately you can just use studio monitors for recording and mixing, that way you also don't have to deal with the "left ear only hears left driver, right ear only hears right driver" problem on headphones (vs both ears hearing both speakers in-room).

Jul 17, 2017 at 9:10 AM Post #4 of 6
I wouldn't worry about the DAC chip or even the output stage on an interface, they're pretty good. Your bigger problem with an outboard headphone amp is how to set the preamp output to 2v. If that's the max output then it's easy - just set the volume control to max. Otherwise, it gets tricky.

However since you need it for recording then it has to stay. Alternately you can just use studio monitors for recording and mixing, that way you also don't have to deal with the "left ear only hears left driver, right ear only hears right driver" problem on headphones (vs both ears hearing both speakers in-room).
Oh, i wasn't clear. Sorry.
The Interface NEEDS to stay for recording because of the Inputs. I do currently use it for Monitoring too, but could switch to something else. The Interface is not needed for listening back to recordings. Reaper (DAW) is flexible in Routing outputs to other devices.
Also, for the final mixing i do have a crossfeed plugin to get a bit of the Speaker feel. And in the end, the final mix is crossreferenced on the HiFi and the car anyways.

I'd really love some Studio Monitors, but they get expensive fast... Might be a better investment than the HD650 though. Decisions, Decisions...

Also, what's that with 2V of output?

Jul 17, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #5 of 6
Oh, i wasn't clear. Sorry.
The Interface NEEDS to stay for recording because of the Inputs.

Uh...I'm not sure why it would seem like my reply didn't take that into account. I know that an "interface" is an ADC-DAC device with mic inputs.

I do currently use it for Monitoring too, but could switch to something else. The Interface is not needed for listening back to recordings. Reaper (DAW) is flexible in Routing outputs to other devices.

If the interface will only be utilized for its mic preamps and ADC then this makes everything easier. Get a DAC-HPamp that way you output digital and the DAC sends the amp stage a fixed voltage signal anywhere between 1.8v to 2.2v.

Also, for the final mixing i do have a crossfeed plugin to get a bit of the Speaker feel. And in the end, the final mix is crossreferenced on the HiFi and the car anyways.

Well that's doable, especially if you're willing to do a lot of cross-referencing to actual speaker systems.

I'd really love some Studio Monitors, but they get expensive fast... Might be a better investment than the HD650 though. Decisions, Decisions...

Personally the only real reason to use headphones while mixing is if you have to do it in a flat and you can't acoustically isolate it from the neighbours. But like I said if you're willing to do a lot of cross-referencing anyway than it's not a problem.

Also, what's that with 2V of output?

Sony Redbook (CD) standard output for CDPs, which amp designers take into account when designing inputs (other than for the TT anyway). Other manufacturers like Rega took the iPod into account (despite all their ads showing them integrated with their CDPs and integrated amps for some reason) and gave the Ear a +26dB gain.

Jul 17, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #6 of 6

My two cents.
Keep using the 2i2 as the DAC and connect an external headphone amplifier to the line-output on the 2i2.
What headphone do you currently have and are you playing on buying an other headphones in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back