Is my DAC the problem?
Nov 28, 2015 at 9:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

James Myers

Head-Fier
So I have a pair of JBL LSR 305's, and I'm running them through the line out on my FiiO E10k.  Everything sounds great overall; music, movies, youtube, BUT when I play video games on my PC, there is a fairly loud, persistent hum coming from my speakers.  It is only audible when I'm actually ingame, not in menus etc.  Could it be the DAC?  I'm considering a new one, maybe the Focusrite 2i4.  Does anyone have experience with the 305s and PC games?

The setup;

USB -> Fiio e10K line out -> JBL LSR 305

Nov 30, 2015 at 12:30 AM Post #2 of 3
Don't know about the e10K but when I had an E17 it's line out produced just as much noise as the headphone out of my PC. Although it's strange that music is fine but games are not.
Do your speakers hum in all games or just one? Try adjusting in game volume first. Have you tried connecting the headphone out of your computer directly to your active speakers? Do this to compare the level of noise coming from your computer and your e10K.
Lastly, your speakers have some adjustable settings such as HF/LF trim and input sensitivity. Have a play around with these too.
If none of that works then a dedicated mains powered DAC may be less noisy in your system.

Dec 1, 2015 at 1:07 AM Post #3 of 3
  Don't know about the e10K but when I had an E17 it's line out produced just as much noise as the headphone out of my PC. Although it's strange that music is fine but games are not.
Do your speakers hum in all games or just one? Try adjusting in game volume first. Have you tried connecting the headphone out of your computer directly to your active speakers? Do this to compare the level of noise coming from your computer and your e10K.
Lastly, your speakers have some adjustable settings such as HF/LF trim and input sensitivity. Have a play around with these too.
If none of that works then a dedicated mains powered DAC may be less noisy in your system.

Yes my e10k is about the same as the headphone jack on my PC.  It hums in every game I've tried, which is quite a few.  Adjusting volume makes no difference, it just drowns out the hum with higher volumes.  HF/LF made no differnce, and changing sensitivity from +4db to -10db just made the hum louder.  

I also just bought a PS3 today, and there is no noise whatsoever when I run the 305s from the headphone out on my TV while playing the PS3.

Funny enough, The 305s emit the hum (albeit a bit quieter) even when the e10k is turned off - but the sound stops instantly when I unplug the e10k from the USB.  I'm now thinking it's the USB, now to hunt for a new DAC!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back