Is my DAC dying?
Jan 26, 2024 at 6:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

jamejfio

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

Want to see if anyone can diagnose the issue here. Been using my DX3 Pro for several years now, first as an Amp/DAC combo and now just as a standalone DAC hooked up to my A30 Pro.

A few days ago, I noticed that whenever I would turn the DAC off the power supply would make a high pitched squealing sound, which would persist even after unplugging the power supply from the mains for a minute before finally stopping. But since it wasn't causing any issues other than that, I cast it aside.

But then I realised...

I was listening to S.T.A.Y by Hans Zimmer through my DT880 600 ohm, and when the bass line hits I could hear a super faint crackle alongside the bass. Only the bass.

Thinking it was either my mind or the headphones, I switched to my R70x and HD600, but the issue remained. Getting concerned, I played the exact same song through my Fiio E10k, and the crackle was no more.

Is my DX3 Pro on its last legs? Do I need a whole new DAC or do I just need to get another power supply for it?

Tomorrow I will have to try using the DX3 Pro's headphone out just to eliminate the possibility of my A30 Pro causing the crackling. Once I've done that, surely that exhausts every other possibility and confirms that the DAC is the issue, right?

Thanks guys

Jan 26, 2024 at 11:24 PM Post #2 of 4
Also with trying different cables between the DAC and amp.

Jan 27, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey guys,

Want to see if anyone can diagnose the issue here. Been using my DX3 Pro for several years now, first as an Amp/DAC combo and now just as a standalone DAC hooked up to my A30 Pro.

A few days ago, I noticed that whenever I would turn the DAC off the power supply would make a high pitched squealing sound, which would persist even after unplugging the power supply from the mains for a minute before finally stopping. But since it wasn't causing any issues other than that, I cast it aside.

But then I realised...

I was listening to S.T.A.Y by Hans Zimmer through my DT880 600 ohm, and when the bass line hits I could hear a super faint crackle alongside the bass. Only the bass.

Thinking it was either my mind or the headphones, I switched to my R70x and HD600, but the issue remained. Getting concerned, I played the exact same song through my Fiio E10k, and the crackle was no more.

Is my DX3 Pro on its last legs? Do I need a whole new DAC or do I just need to get another power supply for it?

Tomorrow I will have to try using the DX3 Pro's headphone out just to eliminate the possibility of my A30 Pro causing the crackling. Once I've done that, surely that exhausts every other possibility and confirms that the DAC is the issue, right?

Thanks guys
Can you open the dac to see if you have any bulging or blown capacitors?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back