is my Auzentech Forte dying/crapping out on me?
Jul 25, 2010 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

Quakky

New Head-Fier
Hi,
So my problem with the Auzentech Forte started about a month ago. Out of nowhere I would start hearing out of my speakers what I can only explain as machine gun sound - repeated POPOPOPOPOP-. but it would usually go within 20 seconds.

Then it started happening more often. I looked into it. the card is placed well in the slot. I thought that this distortion sound might be coming from the vibrations of my case. I ruled this out as I am sure that if it was vibration problems, moving the case would solve the issue, but it didnt.

More recently this started happening more and more, so I thought maybe it is being caused by the videocard right above my soundcard. I lowered the speed of the fan on my videocard and the frequency of this distortion sound did not change (meaning the time from 1 pop sound to the next stayed consistant). I put my videocard fan to 100% and nothign changed. it is a consistant distortion machine gun- like sound,

I thought this might be a windows issue, but today I'm 100% it's not because what happend was the damn sound woke me up at 4 am and stayed consistant for over 5 mins. so I turned off my pc and turned it back on, and as soon as I pressed the power button the sound came back!. 

Last thing : I examined to see if it's my speakers, but I also have my headphone plugged into the soundcard, and when that sound happens it comes out of my speakers AND my headphones.

please help me

Thanks.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #2 of 31
I would start by uninstalling the card and drivers, physically take the card out as well.  Start from scratch and see if the problem still exists, if so, I would guess it's dying.

Jul 25, 2010 at 10:38 AM Post #3 of 31
Hey I dont see how this is a driver issue as i stated that this sound occured when I booted up my PC (I was in the POST screen)

I just got an audio sample to get you guys to hear the sound. but the problem is I captured the sound through my camera, and I cant capture just the sound because the program I'm using (Audacity), is picking up a pop sound  when I have "What u Hear" turned on, Even though there isnt any sound that I can hear.

What u Hear is an option in the Creative suite that allows you to record sound that is being played on your pc.

Is there any site that I can upload audio files to?

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 31
I guess I wasn't necessarily trying to imply a driver problem.  Just my old school pc solutions kicking in... That's where I always start with stuff like this.

Does your motherboard have onboard audio?  If so, is there anyway your bios options got set back to default and turned it on?  I know when my onboard audio is turned on, there is a mess of sound with my sound card.

Jul 25, 2010 at 11:55 AM Post #5 of 31
I have no onboard soundcard. I do have a soundcard that came with my motherboard that I had to insert in a 1x pci-e slot. Therefore this couldnt possibily interfere with my forte. As for onboard soundcard options...you can choose in the chipset section if you want an HD audio controller or AC97, but I dont think this would do anything.

if there is an audio upload place, i can upload the sound sample so you can have a listen..it's very weird..the first thing that comes to mind when you hear this sound is interference, but I havnt changed my pc or my pc location since I installed my soundcard.

Jul 25, 2010 at 2:39 PM Post #6 of 31

Quote:
you can choose in the chipset section if you want an HD audio controller or AC97, but I dont think this would do anything.

This was what I was referring to, I have to set my "HD audio controller" to disabled.  Other than that and reinstalling the device with a fresh start, not sure what to tell you.

Jul 25, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #8 of 31
Hey guys.

The issue seems to be an overheating issue. I have no idea why the card is overheating. I have a antec 900 case..all fans running at max.

But touching the chipset is burning to the finger. I put a fan into the case, and the poping sound litterly just slowly phased out. it went away after about 5-10 seconds. I turn off the fan, and bam the sound came back.

Any suggestions?

Jul 26, 2010 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 31
I have the Forte too, and just within the last week or so my card did the same thing. I went on vacation for a week and when I came back, the sound went away but now everything is super muffled. I think it's just...dead?

Jul 26, 2010 at 2:14 PM Post #10 of 31
can you do a small experiment? just put a fan straight on your forte and see if the sound fixes itself.

Edit: I just want to say now the damn sound will not go away. I pulled the card out and back in and now It will not go away and the sound starts as soon as I turn on my pc..the only way I got the sound to go is by putting the fan right on it (layed the fan on the ground)

this is 100% hardware issue... Anyone having similar issue should rma their cards if it's been less than a year. Ill upload the sound clips on youtube and post them here soon.

Aug 3, 2010 at 7:12 AM Post #11 of 31

Quote:
Hi,
So my problem with the Auzentech Forte started about a month ago. Out of nowhere I would start hearing out of my speakers what I can only explain as machine gun sound - repeated POPOPOPOPOP-. but it would usually go within 20 seconds.

Then it started happening more often. I looked into it. the card is placed well in the slot. I thought that this distortion sound might be coming from the vibrations of my case. I ruled this out as I am sure that if it was vibration problems, moving the case would solve the issue, but it didnt.

More recently this started happening more and more, so I thought maybe it is being caused by the videocard right above my soundcard. I lowered the speed of the fan on my videocard and the frequency of this distortion sound did not change (meaning the time from 1 pop sound to the next stayed consistant). I put my videocard fan to 100% and nothign changed. it is a consistant distortion machine gun- like sound,

I thought this might be a windows issue, but today I'm 100% it's not because what happend was the damn sound woke me up at 4 am and stayed consistant for over 5 mins. so I turned off my pc and turned it back on, and as soon as I pressed the power button the sound came back!. 

Last thing : I examined to see if it's my speakers, but I also have my headphone plugged into the soundcard, and when that sound happens it comes out of my speakers AND my headphones.

please help me

Thanks.

Yep it's goin,i had the forte also, and i got that annoying noise.It started out intermittent and with gaps of weeks in between.I turned off the mike and it stopped(but that wasn't really the cause).It started to get more and more frequent and the pulse sped up and slowed down depending on what background process was running,but it always went away.Just recently i rebooted my system and thats all i heard was a pulsing noise and nothing else.I did the clean install with the latest drivers and moved the card to another pci e slot.It didn't work,i had to accept that the card died after not quite a year of use.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #12 of 31
LOL this settles it

I am going back to my Asus Xonar DX

Not taking any chances. I had very good experience with my Xonar, 2 years of flawless performance before I sold it. Now I am sorry I sold it but that ok  I am gonna buy back another one.

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #14 of 31
I did some digging on Newegg and seems a number of people are having problems with this card dying also.

I guess this card has become a hit or miss just like the HannsG brand of monitors. 

I don't know but Asus and Sony generally has a great hand in making Electronics that don't fail so easily.

Maybe its the capacitors and other stuff going bad? who knows

All I know is that if I spent that kinda money on a card and it died I will instantly drink poison.

Thats a lot of money for me and where I live I cannot return it to Amazon it would make no sense the shipping would be the cost of the card alone.

For us 3rd world guys like me, I gotta play it safe, when I buy something it needs to last atleast 5 years. I do days and days of research before I buy something.  But even then you can be unlucky it has happened to me already.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back