Is my amp doomed or still repairable?
Jun 16, 2020 at 1:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kuutan

100+ Head-Fier
This is an instance where I'm way over myself and should not have attempted to replace something I have no experience on.

I have a portable tube amp with a broken headphone jack and I tried to replace it by doing desoldering and soldering a new one in. Multiple attempts made and I think I burnt all traces and cause much damage. See attached
20200616_102540.jpg
pic.

I bought it used for a little over $200 but it's a discontinued amp and little hard to find nowadays.

Is it doomed? Possibly repairable but not worth it? I sent it to the authorized repair folks for this company but they sent it back with no work done. I live in Sacramento, CA and not many places that I know of for this kind of service.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #2 of 5
Looks like the traces for the jack-plug are beyond repair. Too much heat for too long. A bummer for sure. Does the company have any repair boards you could purchase? May not be a bad idea to at least ask. Be sure to tell them how much you like the amp and would hate to move away from it.

Jun 16, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 5
Looks like the traces for the jack-plug are beyond repair. Too much heat for too long. A bummer for sure. Does the company have any repair boards you could purchase? May not be a bad idea to at least ask. Be sure to tell them how much you like the amp and would hate to move away from it.
Thank you so much for the comment. It is the reply I needed for closure. I'm sure they can't do anything from this point and that's why they sent it back. A hard lesson to learn. :)

Jun 17, 2020 at 7:00 AM Post #4 of 5
Thank you so much for the comment. It is the reply I needed for closure. I'm sure they can't do anything from this point and that's why they sent it back. A hard lesson to learn. :)

There is an answer, but it may be one you don't like, or can't do: air-wire the jack pins to the source points of those burned out pads. Somewhere on that board, the jack pads have a part whose trace connects to each pad. Bypass the burned out pads and solder each jack pin (with wire) to that corresponding part whose trace connected to the burned-out pad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back