Is my 4th gen iPod noisy???
Apr 11, 2007 at 11:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

senns&nonsense

500+ Head-Fier
Little perplexed tonight.....

Today I received in the mail a new NYKO line-out to RCA that I am using to connect my iPod to my HeadFive. I plugged them in and the sound was just fantastic! But.....whenever the iPod is doing anything like when i switch from one song or album to another, or even when one song ends and then another begins, I hear the unit working. There is a slight sound of the iPod doing its thing almost like the sound of a hard drive or the sound of music fast-forwarding.

I tried my 5th gen iPod (the kids have the newer one with more space and video, but lower SQ). The music was not as good as it 1)never is and 2) is not in lossless, but there was none of the sound of the unit working.

Is this normal? Is my 4th gen on its last legs/ Let me know if some explanation makes sense. I hope it is OK, b/s when the music is playing I do not hear the annoying background stuff anyway and the SQ is amazing.

Thanks.

Apr 11, 2007 at 11:52 PM Post #2 of 11
There was an issue with the 4G iPod's, where the user could hear the hard drives spin through the headphones (I'm guessing interference), so what you're hearing is probably normal, as long as it doesn't interefere with the music.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:34 AM Post #3 of 11
I was thinkin about iMod anyway. If this is a problem that suggests further trouble I would rather not spend , but if it is normal and iMod would bypass the interference that would be great.

Any insight appreciated!

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:50 AM Post #4 of 11
Not sure if the iMod would cancel out the interference or not... That answer would have to be from an iMod user. I'm also curious about it though, and I'de like to know the results.

Apr 12, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 11
Maybe I'll send this thread off to the RedWineAudio guy. He must be familiar with all of this and maybe can shed some light.

On a side note, it is ridiculous how good the actual music sounds through this. It really should not be that different from the previous set-up. I had been listening to the iPod through the HeadFive attached with an Apple dock and THX monster minijack-to-RCA cable all through HD595s. This last change to a direct NYKO lineout to the HeadFive has made everything so crystal clear. Unfortunately, it has also evidently uncovered this noisiness....

On another side note... interesting that even before the Monster set-up I had a cheap simple RCA cable. I have always been a cable quality skeptic (without any experience). If this short story is typical, the quality of cables matters a lot all along the quality spectrum. if I go iMod, or even if I don't, I think I need to get something from ALO and see if the cable upgrades continue to yield tangible and obvious results.

Amazing how easy it is to get caught up in the equipment and improvements and thereby spend less time just enjoying the music. But there is a thrill in hearing the music get better and better that is also enjoyable in it's own right.

Apr 12, 2007 at 2:15 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by senns&nonsense /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Today I received in the mail a new NYKO line-out to RCA that I am using to connect my iPod to my HeadFive. I plugged them in and the sound was just fantastic! But.....whenever the iPod is doing anything like when i switch from one song or album to another, or even when one song ends and then another begins, I hear the unit working. There is a slight sound of the iPod doing its thing almost like the sound of a hard drive or the sound of music fast-forwarding.

I tried my 5th gen iPod (the kids have the newer one with more space and video, but lower SQ). The music was not as good as it 1)never is and 2) is not in lossless, but there was none of the sound of the unit working.

Is this normal? Is my 4th gen on its last legs/ Let me know if some explanation makes sense. I hope it is OK, b/s when the music is playing I do not hear the annoying background stuff anyway and the SQ is amazing.

Thanks.

Its normal. The RedWine mod will fix it and than some! If your using the pod for source only(always with an external amp)? the mod is real nice.

Apr 12, 2007 at 12:22 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Thanks.

Normal. This usually happens as the HD gets older. I have noticed that different HDs make different sounds in my iPod. I actually have two of them, and unfortunately I picked the noisy one as the main one.
tongue.gif

Apr 12, 2007 at 5:51 PM Post #9 of 11
my 3g is silent, it just has the caching problem . . .

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:29 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

But.....whenever the iPod is doing anything like when i switch from one song or album to another, or even when one song ends and then another begins, I hear the unit working. There is a slight sound of the iPod doing its thing almost like the sound of a hard drive or the sound of music fast-forwarding.

Never heard that, sorry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back