Is most PCDP's flat with mega bass or xbs off?
Nov 2, 2001 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 6
The bass CDPs add are just an artificial bass extension. How you music sounds depends on your equipment, the best CD player can should play the music as it is recorded, not with any colorations added. IMO, of course
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 2, 2001 at 2:33 AM Post #3 of 6
I realize that, and belive me that is why when I take the out put of my cd player or computer it comes out flat, and get amp'd flat (musical fidelity xcan2
smily_headphones1.gif
to my ears...
however
are most portable cdp's pretty close to flat with the xbs stuff turned off?

Nov 2, 2001 at 3:49 AM Post #4 of 6
Well, not exactly flat,

I made some measurements on the frequency response of my panasonic sl-sw860 line-out connected to a creek obh-11se.

The results are here

The player meets the published spec (just barely) of -1.5 dB at 20 khz, and is flat from 17 hz (low as I could measure) to 2 kHz. At 10 khz its down to -0.5 dB.

Results may vary with both the pcdp model, whether you're using the line-out or headphone jack, and the type of amp its connected to. And possibly how much beer you've consumed.

I don't have enough beer to test my other cd players for comparison.

Nov 2, 2001 at 10:19 PM Post #5 of 6
Nice work, Sneared. (What equip did you use to generate the graph?) Looks like the Senn's have more bass then the Grado's.

Nov 3, 2001 at 3:56 AM Post #6 of 6
I used Newcastle Brown Ale, the CBS test CD, and a Fluke true RMS meter.

When I had access to megabuck test equipment, I could generate all kinds of interesting data in a few minutes. Now I drink beer and wait as the CD cycles through the test signals.
redface.gif

Come to think of it, maybe its better this way.

As I'm sure you know, you have to be careful how you interpret the data.

The Senn and Grado curves just represent how the amp drives the cans. To really say one has more bass would require a sound pressure measurement (Dang! Another piece of equipment I don't have access to anymore.)

I made the measurements because I wanted to see how the two different headphone jack outputs on the Creek OBH-11se drive different cans. My Conclusion was that high impedance phones should use jack #2. Unless, of course, you want more bass.

The interesting thing to me is the low frequency peak that occurs with both sets of headphones. You can see this type of peak in Richard Murdey's jfet-mosfet headphone driver project at HeadWize here .

I assume that this is the driver impedance interacting with the amplifier. Perhaps one of you electronic geniuses could shed some liight on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back