Is monster that bad?
Apr 22, 2004 at 3:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

dan1son

500+ Head-Fier
I ask this for a couple of reasons... the main two being the search function is non-existant, and I work at a retail store so I get a significant discount on the entire monster cable lineup. Are they all that bad?

I'm looking for a good cable in the "cheap" $50 ish level... with a discount I can go up to the $120 level for the monsters... are they better than a $50 cable somewhere else? Or is there something else.

I just built myself a pimeta style amp to use with my alessandro MS-1's and a relatively inexpensive sony cd-player, and/or my relatively old (in dvd years) sd-3109 toshiba dvd player depending which I decide sounds better once everything is ready to go.

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:16 AM Post #2 of 14
I have used (actually still use) some Monster Cable IC's I bought for around $75/pr.(full retail). I think they are quite good actually, so if you can get $120 cables for around $50, I'd say stock up! I seriously doubt you can do better for $50 for something else. Mine are well constructed and sound well balanced.

Apr 22, 2004 at 3:35 AM Post #3 of 14
I've used Monster Cable Interlink 400 MkII interconnects, and actually quite liked them for what little they cost. They seem to get very mixed reviews, but, again, I liked them. I still use a Monster Cable Interlink 400 RCA-to-mini cable.

I also still use Monster Cable products for my component video cables, and also for my PS2 using Monster's S-video PS2 cable (I ran out of component video inputs on my television), and am very happy with these products. Another affordable Monster product that I picked up that actually helped my picture quality is the Monster PowerBar 1100 (my video system, unlike my headphone rig, isn't on a dedicated line).

All of these Monster Cable products I've purchased at Circuit City, which makes them convenient to purchase.

Apr 22, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 14
Well thanks, I was fearing a bunch of negative responses. I suppose for the mid-price range they're not bad, but when you can spend $200+ there is significantly better out there at comparable prices?

Apr 22, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
I've used Monster Cable Interlink 400 MkII interconnects, and actually quite liked them for what little they cost.

I'm with Jude on this one. I've used the same cables in my loudspeaker rig, and they provide quite a good bang-for-the-buck. I'm not saying they're anything special, but definitely better than the cheapo interconnects that come standard with most components.

Apr 22, 2004 at 8:46 AM Post #6 of 14
of the cheaper 'over the counter' interconnects I've had expereince with, I recall prefering AR cables to similarly priced monsters. It's been a while since I've listened to either, I don't recall models, and my ears were far less refined then...

hmm... come to think of it my input almost useless.
eek.gif

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:47 PM Post #7 of 14
I've experimented quite a bit with Monster, due to the ease of finding them. IL-400 is not bad; I actually kind of preferred the Interlink CD -- very smooth, more transparent sounding cable than the IL-400. M-850 is very lush and warm sounding, but appears to obscure some high-frequency detail. M-950 is a better cable, particularly in the mids. Never heard the M-1000, but a fair number of people swear by them. The IL-300 is a bit of a dog, I think. Can't pinpoint anything directly, but there is something not quight "right" with this cable in my system.

Apr 22, 2004 at 11:56 PM Post #8 of 14
Ughhh... I compared my Monster i400's to my AR Pro2's, and the Pro2's were far superior at half the cost. I find the i400's very unfocused, with bloated, flabby bass, and very little treble extension. They've been relegated to my home theatre system. The i400's are the cable I use to convince people of the differences between cables. To me, they are some of the worst cables I've ever used for audio. The Pro2's on the other hand, a bargain.

Apr 23, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #9 of 14
Never used Monster, but I am extremely happy with Acoustic Research OFC Pro ICs.

Cheers,
Alex
580smile.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 2:07 AM Post #10 of 14
I've used probably 12 pairs of various Monster RCA cables and few s-video, RCA to mini cables. Overall, they are not too bad for the money--I also have other more exortic (to me
smily_headphones1.gif
) brand cables such as cardas, zu and so on.

I'm reasonably happy with Monster cables (ranging 20-100 bucks) but I do have couple of problems 1) their rubber grips on the metal connector detoriate and tear too easily with the age and 2) stickers indicating the direction come off with only couple of years of careful use. Not bad considering you can easily pick these up from local bestbuy and local electronics store.

Apr 23, 2004 at 3:43 AM Post #11 of 14
Keep in mind that dan1son is talking about paying $50 for $120 IC's due to his employee discount. I think a $120 Monster would compare VERY favorably to any $50 competitor. I wouldn't even think twice about going for it.

Apr 23, 2004 at 4:58 PM Post #12 of 14
At one time, Monster Cable products were revolutionary. They were litteraly THE FIRST high end cables. A lot of companies wouldn't be in business today had it not been for Monster. Just like anything else, the guy that starts it is always eventually superceeded by the followers. Monster products are definately overpriced compared to what's available now but it's certainly better than Radio Shack.
biggrin.gif

Apr 23, 2004 at 7:21 PM Post #13 of 14
I temporarily used a Monster iCable (mini to rca, "designed for ipod") and liked it much better than a diy freebie mini-to-rca (using canare starquad). I eventually ended up with a Zu Pivot tho.

Apr 23, 2004 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 14
While you may not be able to buy a better cable for $50 brand new than the monster cables you have the discount for, you may very well be able to find a better cable for $50ish on ebay or audiogon or other places to buy used audio gear.

Or DIY
tongue.gif

I've never liked monster cable ICs myself imho, not gonna go into details, just do a search (if its working yet) there is plenty on the topic, also search around on avs forums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back