Is live sound reproducable with headphones or speakers?
Mar 7, 2005 at 3:32 AM Post #16 of 27
That doesn't take into account recording and mixing...

My experience with six figure systems in dedicated rooms is the answer to that question is no, something never sounds quite right no matter how close it is.

jesse

Mar 7, 2005 at 3:49 AM Post #17 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blitzula
Right...I meant to say same venue, same acoustics, whatever variables need to be the same...can live music then sound the same as recorded.

My money is still on no, personally. But I haven't heard an incredible $100K plus system in the perfect environment either. And I'm only deeply experienced with live rock music, not other kinds.

i don't think you need a "100K system in the perfect environment" (in fact that's exactly what you wouldn't want). in all venues i've been to, the acoustics, quality of electronics, and quality of speakers are so poor that i would bet that one would be hard pressed to tell the difference between a recording taken directly off the mixing board played back through the house sound system (with the room full of people, of course) and the actual live performance, assuming all other factors were truly controlled.

for unamplified performances, it's a completely different story, though.

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:06 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rempert
Given your rock music example (unless you happen to be talking about an accoustic rock set in a small venue), the answer would obviously be "yes", because everything at a rock concert already is already going through speakers. The same thing is true for virtually any vocal performance.

Outside of symphony orchestras, large brass bands, and church organs, how much live music do we ever hear that isn't coming out of speakers?

Just because both live and prerecorded music are being played through speakers doesn't mean that it's obvious they can be made to sound the same. If that's true, please, point me to the system that sounds just like a live show. They often play cds on those same speakers at a live show between bands, but you wouldn't think that was live....

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by sacundim
Funny you ask right after I read this article by Jack Endino .

"A great live performance, experienced live, will often blow away the album version. A recording of that same show usually will not. If it did, live albums would be a lot more popular."

He's right on with that. Prerecorded music generally sounds better than live music on cd, in part because they often polish away all the flaws.

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:37 AM Post #21 of 27
I don't think it is possible. While the music live is certainly more involving, and a great experience, recorded music will sound cleaner as it is made to sound clean and closer to perfect in the studio.

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #22 of 27
For simple ensemble, Dunlavy expiremented a/b of live music (unamped ?) vs his speakers and got people fooled. Never heard anything as daring experiment as that one anymore though.

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:32 AM Post #23 of 27
If you're talking about rock shows, most high end home gear blows the average arena PA systems out of the water. Live PA systems make LOTS of compromises to be able to pump out large quantities of sound from relatively small speaker enclosures. The further back you are from the speakers, the more dispersed the bass becomes.

If you are talking about classical concerts, no amplified reproduction can ever match the sound of an orchestra in an acoustically designed concert hall.

See ya
Steve

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:50 AM Post #24 of 27
I would say... Yes its possible to acoustically get a set of speakers to sound very close to a live concert venue (small club)... Assuming you were able to replicate the club acoustics in your home, and get that resonance and reverberation right. It might take a multi-track recording and deticated speakers physically located across a "stage" for each track/instrument.. but it seems possible,

However.... the psycho-acoustics would be impossible to overcome. What the eyes see would heavily influene what the ear hears. So to 99%of the listeners a pair of speakers will always sound like a pair of speakers and a live concert will sound like a live concert.

Just my thoughts...
Garrett

Mar 7, 2005 at 6:04 AM Post #25 of 27
I've heard a lot of pretty fine systems over the years but none of them sounded like live music. The biggest limitation IMHO is dynamic range. When you think about the ground covered from noise floor to the crescendos in classical music that's just way too much distance for any speaker or amp combination to cover.

In all fairness though, I've heard a lot of systems that made it very difficult to drag myself off the couch. I'm quite happy if the system conveys the emotional impact, the goosebump thing. Live or pre-recorded, when the music goes straight to that feel good portion of the brain, it's hard to complain.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:20 AM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by hifiguy
I've heard a lot of pretty fine systems over the years but none of them sounded like live music. The biggest limitation IMHO is dynamic range. When you think about the ground covered from noise floor to the crescendos in classical music that's just way too much distance for any speaker or amp combination to cover.

In all fairness though, I've heard a lot of systems that made it very difficult to drag myself off the couch. I'm quite happy if the system conveys the emotional impact, the goosebump thing. Live or pre-recorded, when the music goes straight to that feel good portion of the brain, it's hard to complain.

this is very true. In a rock venue the guitarist might be running a 200 watt amp, the bass player an 800 watt amp, vocals with 50 watts? drums a feat to reproduce even unamped. The dynamics that can be produced by this combination is impossible to accomplish through the average hi-fi system. Your tiny hi-fi mid range cones won't be able to give the power and sound of a 8x12inch full stack cabinet the guitar is playing through for example.

when choosing a live show to attend, i'm very careful about which shows i go to. I've found large rock concerts to be the absolute worst, where the music is way too loud and most of the time clipping through the PA system. I can understand the fustration of the guitarist/bassist/vocalist spending hours upon hours tuning the sound that comes out of their amplifiers to be just right, just to have it being spit out in a horrible acoustical nightmare. Small venues like clubs/bars are ok, tiny ones where there is no PA used I find is the best. Of course then there is symphony/orchestral performances which I have heard very few of but probably take the cake.

Mar 7, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #27 of 27
i think the sound or more the "feeling" of a live-show can be soonest simulated by binaural recordings and headphones.

take your bassy headphones, turn up loud and listen to this track:
http://s117794305.onlinehome.us/mp3/pastamtn.mp3

it is not heavy-metal but some country-kind of rock, but i think you can really feel the show with this recording.

you can find more of that binaural stuff on:
http://www.sonicstudios.cbm/mp3.htm

is this effect what you are looking for? many live-recordings recorded this way can be found on: http://www.archive.org/audio/
search for "binaural"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back