Is Koss really going down?
Feb 8, 2010 at 9:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

wnmnkh

Headphoneus Supremus
Koss likely to face more lawsuits - The Business Journal of Milwaukee:

If you have visited a blog of Tyll of Headroom, you are probably aware a fraud issue going on Koss. But it seems the problem is even bigger and bigger as time goes on.

Koss is really small company, and based on investor reports they are struggling for a while, this may be death kneel.

Not to mention their recent new ones are rather unimpressive at best. I had chance to listen QZ900 (their top line of noise cancelling headphones) and found out these ones are actually worse than Bose QC2 (nevermind other better ones from Sennheiser and/or Monster Beats)

Thoughts?
popcorn.gif

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:25 PM Post #3 of 16
I like Koss. It does generate its share of crap, but that's only because it caters to a variety of low-price niches. I've found that if you can remove the driver, you can reset it in a better frame, one that brings out its full potential. But for the money, Koss makes some surprisingly decent headphones. Given its rock-bottom price, the PortaPro is a surprisingly decent headphone. It's minimalist architecture sometimes gets in the way of driver performance (the HF is undermined by the metal backing of this "open" phone, as well as its diminutive cushions) but at its price point, it's hard to imagine a better headphone.

Feb 8, 2010 at 11:35 PM Post #4 of 16
They still make the ESP-950 which is one of the best current production headphones. And they have EXCELLENT customer service. I hope they dont go down, as it would be a shame to lose such a nice company

I think they should pull through though and last

Feb 9, 2010 at 12:35 AM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabeer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They still make the ESP-950 which is one of the best current production headphones. And they have EXCELLENT customer service. I hope they dont go down, as it would be a shame to lose such a nice company

Buy more Koss...
icon10.gif

Feb 9, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #6 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x331m /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Buy more Koss...
icon10.gif

Lol i have too many headphones :'(, I need to sell not buy more lol.

Feb 9, 2010 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Well, they still sell it. For all we know there were just a few production runs in the 90's.

It's possible that they may end up dissolving the company and selling the IP to someone, who hopefully will continue on with the business - like the rebirth of Stax.

If nothing else, this fraud has revealed that, if they'd just had an honest finance officer and a competent auditor, they could have been a lot more profitable for the last several years.

Feb 9, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #9 of 16
I certainly hope that this isn't the case. I will be sending my first pair of beloved PortaPro's in for replacement in the next few weeks. They are definitely one of the best cheap pairs of can's you can get your ears between.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:06 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they still sell it. For all we know there were just a few production runs in the 90's.

It's possible that they may end up dissolving the company and selling the IP to someone, who hopefully will continue on with the business - like the rebirth of Stax.

If nothing else, this fraud has revealed that, if they'd just had an honest finance officer and a competent auditor, they could have been a lot more profitable for the last several years.

ESP-950 have been introduced long time ago. And from my understanding, ESP-950 is ESP-9 with various tweaks, which was introduced VERY long time ago. The technology used in ESP-950 is already more than 30 years old.

Thing is Koss is not doing any R&D at all other than some accessories like trying to put mp3 player and headphones together. Their recent offerings such as Pro4AAAT and MV1 are nothing more than retool'd Pro4AAA, which is more than whooping 40 years old, even worse situation than ESP case.

(and this 40 years old technology headphones sound does not good. I can tell you because they are sitting on my head right now.)

See, Protapro is like 25 years old. While it is impressive it continued its popularity in market for a such long time, it also indicates that there have been little/no R&D going on for at least last 20(or less) years, which is not explained by recent event.

Pretty much only full-size worth to buy during last years (I am talking late-90s) was A2x0 series, and Koss killed the lineup.

Feb 9, 2010 at 5:52 AM Post #13 of 16
I hope they get this over with ASAP

and maybe when this is over they get to R&D more new/redesigned headphones

Feb 9, 2010 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by nycdoi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i was planning to get the next anniversary version of koss portapro...

solid gold Portas?
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back