Is Koss Porta pro endgame? What are similar headphones or above?
Feb 24, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #121 of 134
Sorry for reviving this old topic, but you guys still use the Porta pros? Is there any better portable headphone for that price? I already have the v-jays, px100-Ii, skullcandy grind, jcv s400, aiaiai tracks and some others and I am still looking for the perfect budget portable headphones.
The skullcandy are almost great, but they are really uncomfortable :/

May 8, 2018 at 11:27 AM Post #124 of 134
I got the Abyss paired with A100 and Nuwave, and used to have a set of 407+006T2 combo. but I still find myself reaching for portapros more. That's how good it really is.

Actually when you pair a porta pro with exceptionally exotic gears you'd be surprised how well it scales. I plugged mine into a GS-X MkII + MSB Reference once and I couldn't for the life of me believe its my unmodded, dirt cheap porta pro. Sentimental values aside, this headphone is pretty much unbeatable. I'm pretty sure if I can only own one can and have to choose between Abyss, 009 and the porta pros I would grab the portas without much thinking at all. No offense to all Abyss owner out there, I'm happy with my pair and I know for the money I can get 100+ pairs of porta pros, but I still prefer the portas. I'm a cheap man lol.

Last edited:
May 8, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #126 of 134
wow that is a high praise. Wonder then if I should pair it with something else than e10k
Next time when you go to CanJam or other headphone conventions you can bring your porta pros with you, plug it into whatever gears headamp booth has to offer, and wow everyone :darthsmile:

Jun 2, 2018 at 1:28 AM Post #127 of 134
I got the Abyss paired with A100 and Nuwave, and used to have a set of 407+006T2 combo. but I still find myself reaching for portapros more. That's how good it really is.

Actually when you pair a porta pro with exceptionally exotic gears you'd be surprised how well it scales. I plugged mine into a GS-X MkII + MSB Reference once and I couldn't for the life of me believe its my unmodded, dirt cheap porta pro. Sentimental values aside, this headphone is pretty much unbeatable. I'm pretty sure if I can only own one can and have to choose between Abyss, 009 and the porta pros I would grab the portas without much thinking at all. No offense to all Abyss owner out there, I'm happy with my pair and I know for the money I can get 100+ pairs of porta pros, but I still prefer the portas. I'm a cheap man lol.

I believe you. I pair my Sony NW WM1Z with the Porta Pros. I have tried AKG’s, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, Shures, Sony’s, Oppos, boses but with none of them I reach the same level of emotion, vibe and inmmertion I get with the Porta Pro. And I am not a dark or bass fixated listener. My second favourite is a pair of modded senns HD600 (without the little foam, which removes that thin veil noted by some). I can only imagine how the Porta Pro scales with your gear.

Jun 26, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #128 of 134
I believe you. I pair my Sony NW WM1Z with the Porta Pros. I have tried AKG’s, Sennheisers, Beyerdynamics, Shures, Sony’s, Oppos, boses but with none of them I reach the same level of emotion, vibe and inmmertion I get with the Porta Pro. And I am not a dark or bass fixated listener. My second favourite is a pair of modded senns HD600 (without the little foam, which removes that thin veil noted by some). I can only imagine how the Porta Pro scales with your gear.
That's my man. I heard WM1Z on CanJam this year, it sounds so good for a moment I thought I was gonna drop that much money on a DAP. In the end I didn't, but glad to hear you're rocking your porta pro with that nice a DAP.

As for porta pros I actually think its a lot like HD600 in a sense that it scales extremely well. Most folks either dismiss it as low-fi or just shove it in a drawer never to be seen again when they move up the headphone ladder. If they actually bother to try it on a modest setup I bet they'll be amazed at how the portas can sound. HD600 gains flesh and bones (as in better soundstage, bigger bass, etc.) as you get better DAC and amps while porta pros brings more emotional engagement as you move the gear ladder. It's never going to out-resolve any modern headphones but the emotional connection it draws between you and the artist is rarely, if ever, heard. I brought my porta pro to a local meet the other day and my jaw hit the floor I heard it on a dCS+GS-X MkII setup. Music enveloped me and wrapped me in a nice cocoon of sound. I don't think I'm going to hear that kind of a sound ever again, but the experience alone was worth it. Again the portas don't have the level of detail HD6XX has, but my god this thing lures you in whatever music that's playing, and no other headphone can do that. STAXes? Not even close.

Jul 13, 2018 at 5:14 PM Post #129 of 134
That's my man. I heard WM1Z on CanJam this year, it sounds so good for a moment I thought I was gonna drop that much money on a DAP. In the end I didn't, but glad to hear you're rocking your porta pro with that nice a DAP.

As for porta pros I actually think its a lot like HD600 in a sense that it scales extremely well. Most folks either dismiss it as low-fi or just shove it in a drawer never to be seen again when they move up the headphone ladder. If they actually bother to try it on a modest setup I bet they'll be amazed at how the portas can sound. HD600 gains flesh and bones (as in better soundstage, bigger bass, etc.) as you get better DAC and amps while porta pros brings more emotional engagement as you move the gear ladder. It's never going to out-resolve any modern headphones but the emotional connection it draws between you and the artist is rarely, if ever, heard. I brought my porta pro to a local meet the other day and my jaw hit the floor I heard it on a dCS+GS-X MkII setup. Music enveloped me and wrapped me in a nice cocoon of sound. I don't think I'm going to hear that kind of a sound ever again, but the experience alone was worth it. Again the portas don't have the level of detail HD6XX has, but my god this thing lures you in whatever music that's playing, and no other headphone can do that. STAXes? Not even close.

Wow, this thread is still going. I've mainly been a speaker person, but I've always been partial to the Koss headphones (35, 75, Portapro, KTX). I finally invested in some budget headphone gear (Modi Multibit/Magni 3) to hook up to my computer. I'm actually more impressed with the improvement in performance of the KTX than the Sennheiser 58X from the setup. I've also tried a few other random earbuds and headphones laying around, but none really gained performance like the KTX. It was an interesting unscientific testing result :) I'm tempted to build up a WHAMMY to get myself into the headphone hobby a bit more.

Aug 27, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #130 of 134
What do you guys think about those cheaper Koss PortaPro options:
Akg k414p; JVC Flats (the cheaper ones); Koss ksc75 (with headband mod); Koss kph30i; Edifier h840/h850.

I really want something cheap that sounds great — not totally balanced or anything like that. Mostly I listen to rock, electronic, hip hop and blues genres.

Aug 27, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #131 of 134
What do you guys think about those cheaper Koss PortaPro options:
Akg k414p; JVC Flats (the cheaper ones); Koss ksc75 (with headband mod); Koss kph30i; Edifier h840/h850.

I really want something cheap that sounds great — not totally balanced or anything like that. Mostly I listen to rock, electronic, hip hop and blues genres.
I have akg k414p, koss ksc75 and koss porta pro and porta pro is hands down my fav. k414p is great for the style and old school feeling and sounds decent if You want even more bass but it lacks detail

Aug 27, 2020 at 2:02 PM Post #132 of 134
I have akg k414p, koss ksc75 and koss porta pro and porta pro is hands down my fav. k414p is great for the style and old school feeling and sounds decent if You want even more bass but it lacks detail
It's bass being overwhelming and lacking details are that biggest cons to me... But at the price ($18) I thinks It's great.

Do you have (or know) the JVC Flats? People say that this things are better than the Portapros and costs less.

I think I'm going to pick up both ksc75 and k414p. One bright and detailed, the other bassy and closed back.

Aug 28, 2020 at 3:38 PM Post #133 of 134
It's bass being overwhelming and lacking details are that biggest cons to me... But at the price ($18) I thinks It's great.

Do you have (or know) the JVC Flats? People say that this things are better than the Portapros and costs less.

I think I'm going to pick up both ksc75 and k414p. One bright and detailed, the other bassy and closed back.
No. I don't have flats. KSC75 are just super dry for me. I mean, the detail and clarity is great but it lacks warmth imo and the "meat" of the sound but that might be because I had porta pro for years before buying ksc75

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #134 of 134
Hey everyone,
I just sold my Brainwavz HM5 because I almost never used it since I got porta pro few months back. HM5 was was clamping too much, was making my head hurt and was just very hot and sweaty. The sound was nicely detailed but it lacked bass or almost any reasonable musicality and oomph to it. No enjoyment from games and movies.

Then I got porta pro and wow! For less than half the price of hm5, I got something thats super comfortable, sounds fantastic with bassy sound which surprised me for it's size. The only gripe with it, is medicore build quality and cheap foam but I don't have problem with it. At least it feels like something to daily use and not to praise on the stand.

Now, I had many headphones before hm5 and portapro. Like CAL!, superluxes and few others but now I think I don't ever want to use around ear heavy design ever anymore. Those little on ear headphones are super light and You forget about them on Your head. I always disgarded them at first look because I thought they sound like they look but they can pack a punch!

So, should I just stay with my porta pro or look at something else (below 100$)?
I like punchy bassy sound which grants enjoyment with electronic music(both chiptune and some dubstep), games and movies?
What is the improvement over koss porta pro? All I could think of, is that I would like a bit more isolation from outside but thats not a priority.

share Your opinions!

Tried the Porta Pro's and liked them. Ended up giving them to my girlfriend because she liked the style. I love my Koss KPH30i's - fantastic sound for such a low price; I've ordered multiple pairs just to have some headphones lying around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back