is kenwood 60gb media player worth at buying?
Feb 25, 2008 at 9:49 AM Post #16 of 28
The sad thing about all these portable DAPs is that feeding my baby stax the headphonia dac cable out of the usb port of my computer provides better sound than any portable I've ever heard including my HD30GB9.

The DAC cable only cost me 40 bucks but to get decent sound out of a portable you have to pay over $400.

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #17 of 28
Upon many more hours of listening to HD60GD9EC I have come to realize that Mediakeg is the most "fun" and "rich" sounding player I have ever owned. The other players seem to provide the similar level of sonic outputs but at times they seem so dry, dull and lifeless as compared to MediaKeg. Although the Supreme Ex makes the sound a tiny bit artificial no doubt it makes the music so elegantly musical.

Feb 28, 2008 at 12:44 AM Post #18 of 28
No way to buy a $500 player that hiss........

Feb 28, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by faichiu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No way to buy a $500 player that hiss........

You must be a magician knowing about the hiss without ever hearing the device in your life. Yes, .5K seems kinda over the head regardless for some...I wouldn't recommend anyone to spend this much $$ if they are completely happy with their current devices but there is a different player out there..

I found out another bug with the Kenwood software that it would make the system freeze/hang if you try to play the DVD using WMP11.

Feb 29, 2008 at 3:36 AM Post #20 of 28
I have been using the 60gb Mediakeg for the last few days, and still getting used to the ridiculous interface. I find navigation around it extremely difficult, and miss the simple folder tree structure of the iRiver H340, with its drag-and-drop and ability to organise files in convenient structures. I also don't understand why an expensive player such as this will play AAC files but not Ogg, since about 20% of my music is in Ogg and will therefore have to be re-ripped. It is also irritating having no English instructions and having to figure everything out by trial and error.

Having said all that, the sound quality is excellent, and far above any previous DAP I have heard, including the iRiver which was my former reference. The sound is rich, detailed, clear, and silky smooth. I find it to be a very significant step above the iRiver or iPod. Also, I don't (yet) hear any hiss at all, even when using Ety ER4Ps, which are about the most revealing IEMs available.

Despite the awful interface, the irritating software, and the absence of English instructions, the kenwood is still a winner based on sound quality alone.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:06 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have been using the 60gb Mediakeg for the last few days, and still getting used to the ridiculous interface. I find navigation around it extremely difficult, and miss the simple folder tree structure of the iRiver H340, with its drag-and-drop and ability to organise files in convenient structures.

Why don't you just use drag and drop from Windows Explorer, then use the file tree under folder view on the Kenwood to navigate? This just requires that the files on your PC are well organised into artist/album etc.

Feb 29, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #22 of 28
I am still figuring out how the Kenwood software works, but I don't think it allows drag and drop from windows explorer. (Can any other Kenwood users confirm this?) It seems to require that the folders be imported and then it appears to reorganise them.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:02 AM Post #23 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ross /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am still figuring out how the Kenwood software works, but I don't think it allows drag and drop from windows explorer. (Can any other Kenwood users confirm this?) It seems to require that the folders be imported and then it appears to reorganise them.

I may be wrong about the drag and drop thing (typing too quickly, not thinking enough perhaps), but for me, I converted FLAC to WAV, and made Foobar create an album/artist directory structure. I then copied to the Kenwood using the Kenwood Media App, and it created Kenwood Lossless files using the same directory structure. I could then browse the file tree on the Kenwood, without worrying about re-tagging all the files.

Make sure the track file names are tracknumber - title, or they won't show up in the correct order.

I stopped using the Kenwood after listening to it and not being happy with the sound quality, so it's back in it's box, otherwise I'd do some more testing for you.

Feb 29, 2008 at 6:07 AM Post #24 of 28
Thanks. What didn't you like about the sound quality?

Feb 29, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #26 of 28
Although I haven't actually tried this, I heard that you can drag and drop the files using the Windows Explorer and use the "Update Library" option in KMA software to view the files in the players. Also, I did find some bugs with KMA software. Firstly, you can't use the WMP11 to play DVD movies as it will just hang. If you have DVD disk in your DVD drive and run multimedia programs, you may find your system in crash mode. I found that with DVD disk inside, if I try to run the winamp, wwmp11 or any video/audio programs, the system would just hang..
smily_headphones1.gif

Sometimes, the Mediakeg does sound artificial as if it's writing its own music but hey, whatever make it sound good..

Mar 1, 2008 at 1:20 AM Post #27 of 28
Here i am hearing people praise the sq of the kenwood except for a few and the hiss issue. But other than that I think it is safe to say that it is the best sounding dap of this forum? I have been using my MD player for awhile and decided to get a new dap (samsung P2) but then the buggy beta firmware that came with the first batch annoyed the hell out of me so i returned it, but other than that i really liked it. So now im back to my old problem, i need a new dap. I saw the new Sony flash players but i dont like how they looked like toys. My MZ-RH1 has always been my reference for SQ, so i was wondering how the kenwood sounds compared to my MD? Anyways anybody with experience with these two please let me know.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:46 AM Post #28 of 28
Just note that you are taking a big risk buying this player as it costs almost $.6K (the latest HD60GD9EC). You may not even like the sound like lexnasa, who know? If you are a person who prefers the thin but pure and more analytical sounds, this player may not be for you but if you like me who likes the songs you play to have some "kicks" and be"fun" w/ Kenwood ingredients (?), this would be an exciting choice. I found it to be quite warm sounding unit as in most Sony Daps, so may be compatible with your taste. But then again, don't take my word for it....it's just my personal opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back