is KARMA hard drive problem really a issue?
Feb 11, 2005 at 11:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

DJ_ZUKO

New Head-Fier
hi. guys. i'm new to head fi .
i just saw that a RIO KARMA 20 G at amazon for $170.sounds like a good deal.
but i heard alot about the hard drive problem and loc up after six month of use,is it true?
or maybe i should go for a creative zen extra.
what do you guys think?

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:07 PM Post #3 of 27
I got mine used here and it was beat to hell before I got it.

I've have nothing but good things to say about mine.

It's always with me.

B

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:10 PM Post #4 of 27
I've had mine for about a year now, and it's still going strong. I've had a couple of reset problems, but they were because my karma gets shaken a lot when I use it in the car.

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:14 PM Post #5 of 27
i heard rio fixed all of those problems... at least with the new ones, i think your good to go if you still want to get it.

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:24 PM Post #6 of 27
if it does break, then more the reason for you to hack your karma and get a 40GB in there
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:26 PM Post #8 of 27
good point! its a win-win
tongue.gif

Feb 11, 2005 at 11:38 PM Post #12 of 27
2 hrs 40 minutes without a problem!

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:18 AM Post #14 of 27
I have also been tempted to get a Karma, due to their recent price drops.

However, there still remains ...

1) To use an external amp you have to carry around the karma dock with you, you have to use the RCA output on the dock to input into your external amp. Amping the Karma through the headphone out sounds like, What?

There hasn't been an adapter developed, like the ipods SIK adapter for the Karma, so that amping the player with an external headphone amp can be easily accomplished.

2) You still have to use their software to load the Karma right? The only use
for the Network port on the dock is to access the files in read only mode, right? You still cannot transfer songs through the network port, or has the software been upgraded?

I am Curious (I also did a search, didn't find much.)

Thanks!

Feb 12, 2005 at 12:36 AM Post #15 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by rab10
1) To use an external amp you have to carry around the karma dock with you, you have to use the RCA output on the dock to input into your external amp. Amping the Karma through the headphone out sounds like, What?

You don't really need an amp with the karma, imho. The parametric eq lets you balance out the vast majority of cans. If you really wanted to use an amp, a member of the riovolution forums found volume set at 29-30 and a flat eq was close to line out level. This is what I do when I use my karma in my van (Karma -> Mini-RCA Interconnect -> Alpine Aux Adapter -> Alpine CDA9831). I'm not gonna win an db drags anytime soon, but it sounds just as good as regular cds do in there.

Quote:

There hasn't been an adapter developed, like the ipods SIK adapter for the Karma, so that amping the player with an external headphone amp can be easily accomplished.

There are some guys looking into this at the Riov forums. Unfortunately, they haven't had a lot of help from Rio, nor a huge showing of interest by outside parties.

Quote:

2) You still have to use their software to load the Karma right? The only use for the Network port on the dock is to access the files in read only mode, right? You still cannot transfer songs through the network port, or has the software been upgraded?

RMM, the main software is for Win systems to do all the music ripping/transcoding/transferring. This uses USB2 only. RMMLite allows Win, linux, and mac users to transfer music and files over ethernet, albeit much slower than usb2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back