Is jewelry wire ok for recables?
Jan 17, 2008 at 5:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

johnanderson

100+ Head-Fier
Jan 17, 2008 at 6:51 AM Post #2 of 11
I think as long as it's "fine" silver and not sterling, it should be fine. But be aware most of the silver wire sold for audio is 4N or 5N, so this stuff (3N) is less pure. I'm not sure how that affects the sound for silver, but I actually can hear a substantial difference between Radio Shack copper and nice Neotech 6N wire (even just a few inches of it, the input of my Millett MAX).

Jan 17, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #4 of 11
youre looking at a lot of 5 foot wires. i dont know if thats what you want for re-cabling.
i ordered " PURE SILVER WIRE a 100ft Lot 28 Gauge Round Fine .999" from the same seller. should arrive today or tomorrow.

Jan 17, 2008 at 6:17 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by EightTrack /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey off topic, I see your in Tuscon (OP), Im in Tempe any leads on where I could get some DIY supplies here in AZ for Modding etc...

Thx

I assume fry's electronics has alot of DIY stuff, especially since youre up in tempe. I actually order most of my stuff online so other than the occasional visit to my local electronics store I can't really say where good places to find this stuff would be. I would check local listings first though as sometimes the material can be cheaper + you don't have to pay for shipping
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjumper78 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
youre looking at a lot of 5 foot wires. i dont know if thats what you want for re-cabling.
i ordered " PURE SILVER WIRE a 100ft Lot 28 Gauge Round Fine .999" from the same seller. should arrive today or tomorrow.

Sounds good. Let me know how that goes. If its any good I'll order some.

Jan 18, 2008 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 11
just received mine in the mail.
by the looks and feels of it, it's pretty good. i hope it's not too hard to put this into tubing. some people said pure silver wires were fragile but this feels pretty strong. i think i'll like this better than stranded copper wires.
i can finally go ahead and try to make sennheiser cables.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:27 PM Post #7 of 11
Thats great to hear. Have you tried bending and flexing the wire to see if its prone to breaking? I would assume 28awg is much more flexible than even the stranded 26awg stuff I've got.

Jan 18, 2008 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 11
it's very flexible.
i bent it 90 degrees to one side, straightened it, bent it 90 degrees to the other side. i kept on doing that cycle, and the wire broke after 15 tries. i think it'll be fine as long as it goes into good tubings.

Jan 19, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #9 of 11
Slide in some slighter thinner wire, copper or anything will do, then solder your silver wire to it and pull it through. About 2m is the most I can get through (using 0.5mm wire in a 1.2mm ID teflon sleeve).

Fran

Jan 19, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #10 of 11
BTW tjumper78, what are you going to sleeve that silver in since it comes as a naked solid core? I'm going to use teflon tubing + multifilament nylon on the outside but don't know what I'm going to use on the wire.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back