Is itunes okay for music?
Dec 9, 2012 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

bcd127

Head-Fier
So right now all I use is Itunes, and I was curious if that is good to run music through. I understand that's what it is made for, but is it good, average, or just horrible? Also, Is there any other good media software out there? I am obviously uneducated about any of this and just want to become more knowledgeable about it. Thank you for anything you give me!

Dec 9, 2012 at 6:28 PM Post #2 of 11
On a Mac it is completely respectable, but better sounding software is out there.  I tried it years ago on my PC, but it didn't sound as good.  But really this was 5 years ago so much may have changed.  

Dec 10, 2012 at 1:36 AM Post #5 of 11
I use iTunes, I hear no difference in players. It's the best to declutter a huge library though I use foobar for flac.

Perfectly fine to use.... That or foobar or Winamp.

Low spec pc will get sluggish with itunes, high end has no performance impact.

Sent From My Thunderbolt with Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
I use iTunes, I hear no difference in players. It's the best to declutter a huge library though I use foobar for flac.
Perfectly fine to use.... That or foobar or Winamp.
Low spec pc will get sluggish with itunes, high end has no performance impact.
Sent From My Thunderbolt with Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

Ohhh. alright. Well i have a good pc, so theres no problem with it, i was just curious.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:48 PM Post #7 of 11
I use Fidelia (advanced with the FHX plug-in) and I find it to be a big improvement over iTunes, though it's a little pricy. Bit Perfect is a more economical option, which also imparts a noticeable improvement.

Dec 10, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #8 of 11
And also, if you want to keep your music in FLAC format... I believe iTunes does not handle that.
And it will play WAV, but probably most iTunes users go to ALAC or AIFF.

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:22 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
And also, if you want to keep your music in FLAC format... I believe iTunes does not handle that.
And it will play WAV, but probably most iTunes users go to ALAC or AIFF.

ALAC is still lossless....so really no difference. (Besides the extra step to download a shell-integrated converter to batch convert folder of flac to alac)

Dec 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #10 of 11
Its fine but I prefer Foobar2000 supports all formats and I like to organize and view my music using folder/directory view.  Also I use RPGWizard Laidback Dolby Headphone config to listen to my music with headphones pretty sure you can't get that on itunes.  There are also some extra features I've added that don't effect playback or music management but I like to have and to my knowledge only work with foobar2000.

Dec 14, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #11 of 11
If you own an iPod then iTunes is great for syncing/updating.  I use a lot of smart playlists on my iPod and that's how I rotate through my large library.   iTunes is also great for subscribing to free podcasts and then automatically updating your iPod.   All my syncing is automatic, none of that drag & drop needed.

If you like browsing new music then the direct access to the iTunes store is also very convenient.  I also like that they allow you to preview 90 secs samples rather then the 30 secs Amazon allows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back