Is it worthwhile upgrading from vintage amps?
Jan 16, 2017 at 9:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a Sansui AU-7900 that I am trying to get rid of. It sounds fantastic and is pretty clean considering its age but it is a burden to move around with (about to graduate college) and I know inevitably it will require major service (although everything works currently). I use it as my headphone amp as well as a phonostage and speaker amp. That being said, I have an offer of $300 for it (which seems reasonable) but I'm not sure what sort of modern integrated amp could compete with the Sansui at that price point.

Do you think it would be a wise idea to sell the vintage unit and go for something more modern? If so, what integrated(s) would you all recommend? I just need something to use for headphones, speakers, that hopefully has (but does not need) a phono stage. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 2:35 PM Post #2 of 8
I doubt in the future, for $300, you going to find something as good as the Sansui AU-7900 for a speaker amplifier.

Jan 16, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Th
  I doubt in the future, for $300, you going to find something as good as the Sansui AU-7900 for a speaker amplifier.

This is precisely my fear. I wonder if it would be worth it to spend a couple hundred to get it recapped. It works but I'm sure it sounded better in 1974 than now 43 years later. 

Jan 16, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 8
  Th

This is precisely my fear. I wonder if it would be worth it to spend a couple hundred to get it recapped. It works but I'm sure it sounded better in 1974 than now 43 years later. 

Capacitors drying out is an over-rated myth in most circumstances.  If you've got 1940's and 1950's paper/cardboard electrolytics, then yes - it would probably be worth replacing them.  However, the Sansui you have was late enough to have used modern, can-type electrolytics.  If it's been sounding good to you, I doubt seriously that you have any issue.  As long as there isn't any leakage, capacitors get rejuvenated to some extent simply by running current through them.

More often than not, re-capping results in improvements because people naturally use higher-quality and larger versions of modern capacitors.  The result is an improvement in performance because the replacements are simply better.  That's where the benefit lies, not because the originals have dried up.

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 8
  Th

I'm not the expert.....but.
Modern mass market audio is more driven by features, then audio quality.
So the market for quality audio is limited and there for not cheap.
So i'm guessing to get something modern that can match the Sansui is going to be way more then $300 to replace, way more.

But if you really have no need for the Sansui, might as well sell it off.
Assuming after collage you will have a job where you will be able to afford a replacement 

Jan 16, 2017 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 8
That's a hell of a dilemma. For me this is almost like getting rid of books. They are a total pain to move around, but I just can't bear to part with them.

Admittedly, I don't know nearly as much about vintage amps as I'd like to, but I'd say that if you do decide to part with it, there are plenty of great modern amps that could probably compete with the sound.

Jan 16, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #7 of 8
it is up to you... pffft  14kg ..my Sony TA-N77ES is 25kg the matching preamp weighs as much as the Sansui..

the offer is reasonable... but the amp is quite nice and you may well regret selling it... however there are also more amplifiers in the sea

if it was me... I'd keep the Sansui ... you can recap it yourself (if remotely handy) later or even if you have to pay someone to do it... nothing modern is going to sound as nice with speakers for that kind of money.

Jan 16, 2017 at 9:23 PM Post #8 of 8
Well, I think I'm going to keep it thanks to all of the encouragement. Only reason I considered parting with it is because I was offered 10x what I paid for it and I will be graduating college soon (it is a PITA to move). But I doubt I will be able to afford something as nice as this to use as a speaker amp for under $1000. Might find a tube preamp to relieve my new gear craving though, 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back