Is it worth upgrading to FiiO FH5 from KZ IEMs?
May 15, 2020 at 1:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

pjones5

100+ Head-Fier
Some of you may read this and think - is he seriously asking if upgrading from a pair of chi-fi $40-$60 IEMs to a pair $250 IEMs is worth it? Yep, I'm asking that.

I've got both the KZ ZS10 Pro and KZ ZSX "Terminator" IEMs, and I actually really do like them. I've been content to use cheaper IEMs because I'm really an over-ear headphone kind of guy. I recently got some graduation money (college) and I was looking at purchasing a more expensive over-ear. Two problems with that though - my primary candidate (the Sony Z7M2s) are out-of-stock/back-ordered until like mid-July and all of my secondary candidates have such mixed reviews that I'm hesitant to pull the trigger. Plus, I figure two-things; I'm pretty content with the trifecta I currently have (HD6XXs, HE4XXs, and Meze 99 Noirs) and I primarily use IEMs in the office anyways. So... now I'm looking at getting a more expensive pair of IEMs.

A few extra details...

I'd be running these primarily off an M11 or BTR5 using either Spotify or Tidal.

It's difficult to describe my personal sound tastes because I'm somewhere in the middle in a lot of areas. I like neutral sounds, but with warmth. I like to feel the bass, but I'm not a bass-head. I like detail, but don't want it to sound aggressive or clinical. Ultimately, I'm looking for an enjoyable experience when I listen to music.

Basically, I'm looking to know if the FH5s are a noticeable upgrade in sound quality, sound stage, and comfort from what I've got now. If I'm having to sacrifice any of those three, then its just not worth it for me.

Any additional suggestions are welcomed!

Thanks in advance.

May 15, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #2 of 15
FH5 definitely will be an upgrade to the ZSX, more over the ZS10 pro.

Even NX7 pro, tri i3, spring 1 , and several entry level midfi are already upgrade to ZSX. Resolution, matureness, etc.

But always remember that you have to be ready for diminishing return. The more expensive IEM, the less value but if you have budget and ready to go, you wont regret it.

From ISN thread, the fiio FH5 is comparable to H40, some prefer H40 more. But from what i get, the FH5 maybe brighter than H40 overall.

And to compare my ZSX with my H40, they definitely on different level. Even i praise the ZSX so much after so much improvement over countless model of KZ IEMs, they still cant touch H40. Different level, different driver, different matures, different resolution. Timbre, tonality, separation, soundstage, imaging, bass texture, depth, speed, midrange, clarity, treble extension, air, not even 1 point ZSX can beat H40 in my opinion.

From my experience with side grades and upgrade, you better save money to buy real upgrade than keep buying a lot of side grades. I know its difficult to jump, to gamble on bigger price IEM, its not always easy, so i suggest to carefully read impressions and reviews about your next target, dont hesitate to ask from helpful fellows here.

May 15, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks DynamicEars

I was going to add... would the FH7s be a worthy "full-send"? Ideally, I'd like this to purchase to be a one-and-done/long-time upgrade. I've got the budget for the FH7s, I'm just hesitant to spend that extra couple hundred over the FH5s. Watched ZReviews, he seems to praise both, any recommendations?

May 17, 2020 at 12:39 PM Post #4 of 15
Thanks DynamicEars

I was going to add... would the FH7s be a worthy "full-send"? Ideally, I'd like this to purchase to be a one-and-done/long-time upgrade. I've got the budget for the FH7s, I'm just hesitant to spend that extra couple hundred over the FH5s. Watched ZReviews, he seems to praise both, any recommendations?

I am also considering the FH5, FH7, FA7, and FA9. I have the wonderful Dunu DK2001. I am indulging myself by adding a competent FiiO phone. I am leaning toward the FH5 or FA7. I am curious to hear some FA9 reviews. I am wondering if going all BA with the FA9 might be a smarter sonic complement to the DK2001.

May 17, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #5 of 15
I upgraded from KZ ZS7 to ZS10 Pro to FH7 and do not regret it. KZ IEMs are already pretty great, but with FH7 you get smoother treble(less harsh) and 3 tips each gives you a different sound signature. Build quality is excellent too.

However, according to Crinacle mids are funky on FH7 and he rates other IEMs(Fearless S8F for example) much higher than FH7. So I'd recommend take a look at his rankings. Personally, I like FH7 a lot but I do feel the 13mm Beryllium driver disappoints when it comes to bass.

May 18, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #6 of 15
Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I'm tempted to just got FH5s... I figure, even though I want a nice pair of IEMs, I am still not an IEM kind of guy so it just wouldn't be worth spending that extra to get the FH7s.

Jan 10, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #8 of 15
Ya i have the

KZ ZS10 Pro as well and think they sound awesome. I want to upgrade as well, Fiio Fh3, moondrop Kato or OH10, i do like bass, but never really tested anything other then the Kz's. All 3 iem are the same price.​

Jan 10, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #10 of 15
Ya i have the

KZ ZS10 Pro as well and think they sound awesome. I want to upgrade as well, Fiio Fh3, moondrop Kato or OH10, i do like bass, but never really tested anything other then the Kz's. All 3 iem are the same price.​

The only cheap chi-fi I've tried is the Basn BSingr, which is a bass-bloated mess.

I have the Ikko OH10, and I've compared it and prefer it to both FH5 and KATO, which were a bit more mid-centered vs. the OH10's nice mild but solid V-shape sound. OH10 bass is not overpowering, but has sneaky deep extension and thump. I really like them.

I have a used Blessing 2 on the way to try, and kinda hope i like the OH10 better!

Jan 11, 2022 at 12:25 AM Post #11 of 15
it's down to the FIOO FH3 and or FD3 pro as they are easier to get and cheapest.

Jan 11, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #13 of 15
i like what u get with the FD3 pro

Jan 12, 2022 at 10:38 AM Post #14 of 15
Of those two options, I like my FiiO FD3 Pro more. I’m a big fan of single dynamic driver IEMs.

If you want better noise isolation and stronger low end, then I’d go for FH3 as the FD3 Pro has a sort of semi-open design.
How do they diff in sound quality? Why do u like the fd3 better?

Jan 12, 2022 at 12:27 PM Post #15 of 15
How do they diff in sound quality? Why do u like the fd3 better?
It's hard to describe. I think the single dynamic driver does a lot more for general coherency and timbre than a combination of dynamic driver with several balanced armatures. The FH3 definitely has more low-end and detail, but the FD3 just sounds better. Some of it I think is that the FD3 has a semi-open design so it feels a little more spacious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back