Is it worth to spend 1 month salary to buy high end headphones?
Apr 29, 2012 at 11:58 AM Post #16 of 53
The ODAC is on pre-order and shipping late May (The only place in the US selling it is JDSLabs -- PCB only).  Its a ~$200 combo but would hold its only against much higher dollar value setups.  That with whatever pair of headphones you want to use them with would be great.

I don't know about many "cheaper" amps that you could use at home and on the go at the same time.  They definitely wouldn't provide the same sound quality.

I'm sure someone can come up with something that fits your exact budget.

Did you really just state the best quality/value is on a DAC that isn't even available yet? I smell fanboy, and nothing backing it up. I guess I could say Fiio provides the best bang for the buck sound, but that would be just as much fanboying. Honestly, most of your posts in this thread are 100% opinion stated as fact. You should learn the difference, and present your opinions as opinions.

Apr 29, 2012 at 12:49 PM Post #17 of 53
I'm going to back my "YES" vote by saying that the month's salary should include the best headphones and external DAC/AMP combo you can get, desktop or portable, depending on your primary listening situation.

You won't be looking at an upgrade path for a while AND enjoy the music with SOTA equipment that you've sacrificed in saving up a month's salary for. Some things (like music) are just worth it in life and getting the very best equipment to help deliver it will make a big difference in upping your enjoyment of it.

Apr 29, 2012 at 1:57 PM Post #18 of 53
Denon D2000. Great sound, no amp required.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM Post #19 of 53
My vote goes to, do you think you enjoy it enough to be worth all that hard work? If so than by all means go for it and buy it, if not don't. Just make sure you got everything else working in order, living off noodles and the dollar menu is not good for you.

Apr 29, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 53

Quote:

Most portable players (iPod has been proven mathematically) can only drive up to 32ohms impedance.  The HD598's are 50ohms.  Therefore, they need an amp.

Next would be Pandora.  Their audio quality sucks and the HD598's are far too revealing of that crappy audio quality.  Crap in, crap out.

If you're going to want something unamped, get some super-sensitive IEM's.  Its easy to take care of source files.  Load up some lossless stuff or at the very, very least 320kbps MP3 files on a portable player.  If you're at your computer, listen to lossless files or (again at the very least) 320kbps files. 

Pandora doesn't suck if you subscribe to the higher end service (higher fidelity streaming). 

Apr 29, 2012 at 6:02 PM Post #21 of 53

Quote:

I understand that impedance is not directly related to needing an amp, however its easiest to state it that way without having to go into a mathematical proof.  Sometimes its just easier to say less things because in the ends its true that an amp is required. 

Nevertheless, I have to try and please both knowledgeable and regular folk, and its a losing battle.

Basically:

High impedance:    the 'phones require a bit more voltage & a bit less current
Low impedance:  the 'phones require a bit less voltage & a bit more current.

When we are talking about efficiency, are we referring to electrical efficiency, i.e. how much power the 'phones need?    1 mW = 96 dB SPL?
In that case then it does not matter if the 'phones are low impedance or high impedance.  Impedance does not directly relate to how much power the phones need.

Some of the headphone manufacturers use sensitivity which normally refers to how much Voltage the 'phones need     for example  1 Volt = 105 dB
This is easier to understand, gives you a rough idea how much you need to adjust your volume control as adjusting the volume control turns the output voltage up and down.

Apr 30, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #22 of 53
Do not listen to the amp and DAC jibberish. Buy the headphones and enjoy them. The most important part of a setup is the headphone and if you do not want to spend moeny, just buy that and be done.

May 1, 2012 at 12:25 AM Post #23 of 53
Yep, people place too much emphasis on the amp and DAC, until you get into the higher dollar area of the hobby those things make little difference.

May 1, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #25 of 53
Yet you have D7000 in your signature.

Can you give me a very quick break-down on the differences?

I've owned two pairs of D2000s, but I keep giving them away... oh well. D7000 is smoother, warmer bass, a little less piercing and more fluid in the highs. Just more musical overall with a larger and more defined soundstage. The D2Ks are really damned good, though. For a little over $200 they're one of the best deals in all of HiFi, right up there with the SR60i.

May 1, 2012 at 1:30 AM Post #27 of 53
J&R music has sold me two pairs for $210 each, but that's likely USA only.

May 1, 2012 at 1:54 AM Post #29 of 53
popcorn.gif
one month? are you kidding us... throw your entire life saving at it! once you get in the hole... it is almost impossible to get out... you just keep digging...

May 1, 2012 at 11:37 AM Post #30 of 53

Quote:

Thanks a lot.

I live in the city of four seasons in one day, the T5p never cut it as a portable for me.

Denons aren't the most portable headphones in the world. They don't fold, they're mildly fragile (they can't take a bullet like an Ultrasone), and the cable is quite long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back