is it worth to invest in a DAC + Amp using 320 mp3s?
Aug 4, 2011 at 8:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

pazto

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new in the community and sort of newbie in the audio science.
All my music is a 320 kbps mp3 format (most of them encoded with lame), I'm using a macbook pro 5.5 as source, and a modest headphones set: 
- Shure shr840
- Audio technica m50
- KRK 8400
- Bose QC2 (which I'll post on ebay soon)
- Bose triport

I'm thinking in to get a DAC+Amp, but I'm not sure if I'm going to notice the change (since I use only mp3s), is it worth for me?

if yes, any suggestions about the model?

thanks in advance!

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:38 AM Post #2 of 21
pazto,

You are on your way to an amp, a DAC and new headphones. I feel it! 

Then you will play other formats too!

Aug 4, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #3 of 21
I still use 320 mp3s.  DACs give a slight improvement in sound whether you're using FLAC or mp3 or whatever. I'd get an amp first though, and if you get an amp you really need something to carry the sound over from the MacBook to the amp at line-level quality.  So yes, you'll need a DAC of some sort.

That said... none of your cans really need an amp. 

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:07 AM Post #4 of 21
I'm a newbie here as well, but as stated above none of the cans you have really need an amp (but will of course benefit from one). I think you will be well off with a USB dac/amp. I have a Creative sound blaster x-fi HD which is quite cheap and does give a nice improvement in sound for my Beyerdynamic DT770 pro 32 Ohm and my Sennheiser HD598. I use mostly 320 kbps mp3's as well.

But I think you will have to state a budget before we can really give you advice on a model.

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 21
I noticed a very significant change when I got a DAC/headphone amp.  My music is even split between 192-320.  Clarity, sound-stage and instrument separation were night and day.  I'm thinking about digging up the receipt and finding the day I bought my Nuforce Icon HD DAC/AMP and declaring that day a personal holiday.  It's worth it!

Aug 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #6 of 21
There are a couple of things you can try.
An obvious first is to rip a CD to 320 and to ALAC or any other lossless format.
Check if you do hear a difference.

As usual the question is what is the weakest part in the chain.
You might try to connect a headphone to a quality amp and check if you hear a difference due to better electronics.
You can also try the reverse, connect a high quality headphone to your PC.

My gut feeling is that headphones are like loudspeakers.
Often these components causes a lot of coloration and are often the weakest part of the chain.

Aug 4, 2011 at 8:15 PM Post #7 of 21
I'm thinking about digging up the receipt and finding the day I bought my Nuforce Icon HD DAC/AMP and declaring that day a personal holiday.

Classic!

Aug 4, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #8 of 21
Hi all, thanks a lot for your responses, definitely I'm thinking in to eventually get a better set of cans... I thought SHR840 and KRK where decent cans, honest. But it seems I was wrong. I'm just starting in the business =)
Btw I forgot to mention that i bought KGK 701 and are on transit, can't wait for them! (spite of probably they're also newbie cans)
About the question, based on your kindly answers I think a DAC could be a good next step, then better cans and amplifier right?
Budget is always a constraint but in this case the products availability also is (where I live my choices are limited and not everyone ships to my country on eBay).
I'll try to find the models you've mentioned it seems they rock. 
Thanks a lot!!! 
Best,

Aug 5, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #9 of 21
320 mp3 sounds great and playback will benefit from an amp and DAC. but you should consider getting some better headphones before getting an amp/DAC based on that list you have.

that will give you the most noticeable improvement in sound.

Aug 6, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
please provide me an example, I really wonder about what you guys call good headphones (please ignore the bose, they're crap i know)

Those are already pretty good headphones, the Shure, AT and KRK anyway.  The Bose may not really compete on sound quality, but they do active noise cancellation well so they're worth keeping if that's important to you.  I don't know of any other ANC 'phones as good as the Bose.  You can get better sound if you want to spend more money though.  The headphones are most always the weakest link in your chain and usually the best place to spend your money on an upgrade.  Many more expensive and/or better sounding headphones have greater power requirements than the ones you have now and will either not get very loud or possibly sound like crap without a dedicated amp but not all of them are like that.

If you want a new headphone we could help you pick something suitable if you tell us which of your current headphones you like best and why.

Aug 6, 2011 at 5:09 AM Post #12 of 21
Thanks maverickronin for the explanation. I got it and it's clear.
I definitely love the sound of my SHR840 (after burned them), I think these are my kind of headphones, midrange is stunning, bass response is pretty accurate, and the highs are extended. They are bit of heavy/uncomfortable after several hours but it's not a big deal.

I know that there are ways to improve the chain, but I dont have enough knowledge about what is the next step and what to buy, definitely your advice as experts is very welcome.
As I previously pointed out, all my music is in mp3 (most with a 320 rate), and by now this part of the chain won't change.
All the others elements can as long as they are worth.

Aug 6, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #13 of 21
I notice that all of your current 'phones are closed.  Is isolation from the outside world important or is an open model ok?

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:19 AM Post #14 of 21
That's an interesting question. I enjoy closed models, isolation from outside is priceless is the noisy city where I live =)
To be honest I have no gave a chance to open models, I've only tested the models that are in mac stores but nothing far from that. 
Being aware that my headphones are very modest, yesterday I ordered the AKG K702.
I also took the general advice about the DAC and asked the NuForce Icon uDAC2-HP (I'm very curious about this device).
do you think it's a good start?

Aug 7, 2011 at 11:32 AM Post #15 of 21
well, you just ordered one of the most notoriously difficult to power headphones around. the K701 are infamous for requiring a very high quality and powerful amp to sound their best.

so you may want to start budgeting now for a great amp. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back