Is it worth to EQ?
Sep 15, 2013 at 2:13 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

highrolller

aka Androidhero2310, Vlooienuker, tsiknus, Savagee
Incomplete Trades
Hi guys, I use Winamp as my primary music player on my computer and it seems like the EQ on it is pretty plain and inconvenient and I wanted to find a better music player. Maybe Foober 2K? Anyway, if I do find another good music player, should I EQ my HE500s? I feel like having it flat or off for so long makes the sound pretty boring. Having just upgraded my amp and dac and spending waaay too much on them and tubes, I can't afford to buy a new pair of phones so whats the solution? Equalizing them. Just suggest the frequencies, etc because I don't know what sound I want and I will most likely try them all out and make little tweaks a long the way to fit to my liking. If you guys leave the EQ off, then damn, I must make my own EQ and I completely suck at that... :frowning2:

tldr; Please suggest me a good music player for my computer and good EQ's for my HE500s.

Thank you everyone! Much appreciated.
highrolller

Sep 24, 2013 at 6:26 PM Post #2 of 3
Hey,

Yes, it is worth it! Surprisingly (good on me) I was able to let go of my purist mindset and started a little eq-ing myself. I'm now boldly saying that it's the holy grail. Big words yeah, but it's awesome to be able to make micro adjustments and getting results that I haven't been able to do with tubes. For now it's what I call the last bit of finetuning. Found this info that gives more background to get started but it's not really needed though. Just experiment whatever your headphones or music player may be. Why wouldn't you? My music player of choice is XMPlay with it's basic 9-band equalizer. Boosting +2db around 8k is just what I've missed in the highs and overall presentation but I'm still messing around. Really really nice. Go for it and post back your findings.

Sep 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM Post #3 of 3
My Vsonic GR04's are unbareable to listen to without EQ. However, with EQ they are very pleasent. 

The way I use it I aim to tune the sound signature of lesser phones to match my reference setup. Before I bought a tube amp, I also did add a little bass to my HD600's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back