Is it worth to buy a portable DAP aside from a Smartphone?
Aug 27, 2015 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

BlackDog

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone. This topic aims to answer the question in question. Feel free to post experiences, pros and cons of having one device or two, or anything that helps solve this question. If you have spare time, I have a special case that needs to be solved. If you have any information that helps solve my special case, I beg you share it.

I recently moved out from an Xperia Z3 compact to an HTC One M9. I really miss the quality of the Z3 in terms of sound (DSEE, surround, sound +). The Walkman NWZ-A series have the same sound HW found on an Xperia Z3, so I was thinking on giving it a shot. So, is it worth to get such Walkman? (in case you need it, I am using Sennheiser CX 5.00).

Aug 28, 2015 at 5:26 AM Post #2 of 6
Hello everyone. This topic aims to answer the question in question. Feel free to post experiences, pros and cons of having one device or two, or anything that helps solve this question. If you have spare time, I have a special case that needs to be solved. If you have any information that helps solve my special case, I beg you share it.

I recently moved out from an Xperia Z3 compact to an HTC One M9. I really miss the quality of the Z3 in terms of sound (DSEE, surround, sound +). The Walkman NWZ-A series have the same sound HW found on an Xperia Z3, so I was thinking on giving it a shot. So, is it worth to get such Walkman? (in case you need it, I am using Sennheiser CX 5.00).

If I recall correctly, the M9 has a very good DAC in it already. If you have the storage space, I would just use it as your source instead of a dedicated DAC. That's what I would do anyway, but my vision of a portable setup is using as little as possible (phone-headphones, period).

Aug 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM Post #3 of 6
Thank you very much for your reply! (I was loosing hope in this matter).
Yes, the HTC has some impressive DAC for it's kind (the speakers blow me away), however it isn't the best . As a matter of fact, the best DAC built in a phone is the one found on the Z3. Also, the Z3 has some "gimmicks" that made mp3 music more lively and punchy (namely, the DSEE technology and other surrounds effects). Since I have tons of music that I don't expect to find in FLAC anytime soon, I was thinking this is the best choice for a DAP.

I share (or used to share) your vision: "the less the better". And trust me, if Xperias weren't "glass cannons", I would totally stick to them. However, they are so fragile (had 3 replacement in less than 6 months) that calling them portable is a joke. Fortunately, the walkman (by the way, it has all the audio gimmicks found on the Z3) has been compared with the Z3 and it has been reported it sound better. That, plus the fact I can save some battery in the HTC M9 (awful battery life) made me think that perhaps having a dedicated portable DAP is the best choice.

Any insight on what I just said?

Aug 29, 2015 at 4:11 AM Post #4 of 6
A lot of companies put their own little EQ on their devices to help you like their sound as an average consumer. High pitch frequencies being emphasized makes the phone seem like it's louder, more bass sells stuff for all the hip hop lovers, etc. 

A DAP could help you on the battery issue, but so could a battery case for your phone.

Aug 30, 2015 at 7:50 PM Post #5 of 6
In your case definitely spend the money on a better pair of iems and maybe external battery. Something like RHA T20i will be a much larger upgrade than a new dap, cx5.00 is a lower end warm iem. Missing calls/messages because your headphones are plugged into another dap is annoying, same with the extra bulk in the pocket.

The sony z3 just uses the qualcomm chip (check the taredown for evidence) similar to the m9 (different versions), just that sony has better software integration to bring out the potential. Trying players with a custom dsp (sometimes you have to go to the settings and enable it) like poweramp, gonemad, playerpro(can't enable dsp in trial version) improves the sound for me. if you root v4a is a great dsp.

Aug 31, 2015 at 12:22 AM Post #6 of 6

Like mentioned above, the most improvement in your situation will come from an IEM upgrade, specifically heading away from consumer or mainstream level IEMs like CX 5.00. You'll be much better off looking at something like Chinese Fidue A73 for around $150 USD which will give a substantial increase compared to the entry level Sennhesiers or any DAP upgrade could bring for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back