is it worth the upgrade from ultimate ears super fi 5 pro to triple 10 pro earphones
Sep 2, 2008 at 11:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 46

BASSMAN1038

New Head-Fier
I have already had a pair of super fi 5 pros for about 7 months and they have excelled on my mp3 player. They have a good clear sound and good bass. Although they don't have as clear vocals like my friends etymotic er4p. I am searching for something like this but also with a nice contolled bass. Sadly the er4p simply do not have enough bass for me. Many people have recommended the triple 10 pro. Do you there is much difference between these earphones and the super fi 5 pro's in sound quality? Is it worth the upgrade?My friends think i am crazy as they think there will be hardly any difference between the super fi 5 pro and the triple 10 pro and think i will be dissapointed. what do you think?

cheers guys

Sep 3, 2008 at 1:56 PM Post #2 of 46
I think you will not be disappointed as I have traveled the same road without looking back. The Trips are the perfect (or as close as you can get) universal fit IEM your money can buy. Take the plunge!

Sep 4, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #4 of 46
Oh you will love the Triple Fis like others have said! I went from the Superfis to the Triple fis last year, and I lovd the sound, like the previous poster said, more pronounced treble and tighter deeper bass. The Triple Fis does everything better, imagine a pair of ER4ps with a lot of bass(I have the ER4ps as well)!I only sold the Triple Fis and went back to the Super fis because they are not comfortable for me and I couldn't justify spending so much on something that I can't wear for more than 20 minutes.

Sep 5, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #5 of 46
having used the superfi and the triple fi, i would definitely ask you to upgrade to it if you love the UE sound signature.

cause for me i love to try different sound signatures. and now am waiting to get freQshows instead of the triplefi!
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 5, 2008 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 46
I have the Triple Fi 's and they are wonderful.

I am testing now the RE1 from head-direct and they are woth giving them a try.

Regards

Sep 5, 2008 at 8:34 PM Post #7 of 46
Absolutely, if you like the UE sound, and Triple is much better than the Super.

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #8 of 46
Provided that you have no fitment problems with super.fi5s, you'll absolutely love the triple.fi10s. But be careful as it is a very slippery slope toward UE11s haha

Sep 6, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #9 of 46
I had Super.fi 5 Pros for a couple of years, and though I could appreciate the bass and mids, I always had to apply EQ to get what I considered to be good highs (I'm a treble fan...). The TFs are just so much better in that respect, and, with the reverse mod, the only universal IEMs I can wear for more than 10 minutes.

Get 'em
waytogo.gif

Mar 13, 2009 at 11:23 AM Post #10 of 46
I have Super.fi 5 Pro and already tried my friend's Triple.fi. Yep, it has better sound quality, clearer highs dan deeper bass. But for my ears, the treble is too much. So I prefer the Super.fi.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:02 PM Post #11 of 46
I have never had the Super.fi , but I do have the Shure530, the Senn ie8, and the Ety er4. For pure listening fun I always pick up the Triple.fi. Its always a treat.
Sandy.

Mar 13, 2009 at 3:48 PM Post #13 of 46
Personally, I would get Westone 3 instead of Triple.fi. Westone 3 is more comfortable, more balanced across the spectrum and clearer in the mids.

BTW: I also prefer Shure SE530 to Triple.fis because I think the Shures have a more controlled bass, a much better midrange and fit better as well, but compared to Westone 3s, the SE530s still loose IMO, because Westone 3 sounds more balanced and extended than the Shures and also has much better build quality (no cracking cables).

Mar 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM Post #14 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, I would get Westone 3 instead of Triple.fi. Westone 3 is more comfortable, more balanced across the spectrum and clearer in the mids.

Huh? W3 has perhaps the most V-shaped frequency response of any iem ever made. Even Westone themselves admit is a "fun" IEM meant for personal listening not monitoring or neutral-ness. Triple Fi is one of the most balanced which is why many find them somewhat boring. Even SE530 is far more balanced than W3.

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #15 of 46
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Huh? W3 has perhaps the most V-shaped frequency response of any iem ever made. Even Westone themselves admit is a "fun" IEM meant for personal listening not monitoring or neutral-ness. Triple Fi is one of the most balanced which is why many find them somewhat boring. Even SE530 is far more balanced than W3.

To each their own. Now, I didn't say that Westone 3 is neutral, I just said that it's more balanced. With Triple.fi, I heard some crossover overlapping issues in upper bass, low mids, just like HeadphoneAddict once mentioned. With some music, the bass sounded as though it was "running over" the mids and that was a real big turn off for me. I also thought that Triple.fi's mids, while not recessed, sounded quite blurry, undefined, and just sounded as though there was some barrier between me and many instruments, singers - sort of like looking through a window, covered by some water vapor, if you know what I mean. Of course, maybe I just didn't get a good fit or needed to use a better source/amp to reveal Triple.fi's true potential, who knows? What really matters is that Westone 3 sounds better to me with my sources/amp than Triple.fi and I can't hear any problems with them that I just described hearing with Triple.fi. Westones sound completely coherent to my ears, like a single driver IEM - can't hear no weired overlaps whatsoever. Also, I think that with Westone 3, no part of the spectrum is overly emphasized or recessed - the bass and highs are somewhat bumped, sure, but not enough to ruin the presentation and what artist intended the listener to hear with good recordings. They just add some unique, but pleasant character of their own to the sound IMO. Now, that's what I mean by balance.

EDIT: To avoid confusion, I wan to clarify that for me balanced doesn't necessarily mean have to mean neutral, although I guess it can't be the other way around. If a headphone is neutral, then can it be unbalanced? Hmm... I guess that depends on which source/amp you're using and how balanced the 'phone is in characteristics other than frequency response. That is, for example, is a headphone has flat response, but lacks detail resolution, than it can't really be called completely balanced I guess. Westone 3 sounds good for me in every regard - it's got good soundstage, imaging, detail, no offensive peaks in frequency response, so I find it balanced. In other words, I guess a headphones has to be a good all-arounder in order to be called balanced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back