Is it worth sending the A2s back and getting A5s?
Aug 2, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #16 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know where I hinted to the size of the room I'm in but this computer is in the living room, the largest room in my house. The desk with the A2s is in the very corner of it. My room is 12'x22'.

This kind of information shouldn't be left out of your original post. We only have your pictures to go off.

For your room, I'd definitely opt for the A5s and a small musical subwoofer if possible.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #18 of 30
If you have the space and the cash and you're at all unsatisfied, by all means -- go for it.

Aug 2, 2009 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 30
My experience with the A2's was very positive...Really thought they sounded great...Especially sitting on my desk.

Yes speaker placement can have profound effects on the sound quality from the A2's and especially the A5's.

With a near field setting like yours I would highly recommend getting either the MoPads.

Auralex MoPad Monitor Isolation Pads and more Acoustic Treatments at GuitarCenter.com.

As you can see they are much more versitile versus a similar product that AudioEngine sells.

Audioengine - Upgrade your music

My setup consist of A5's sitting on MoPads with a Velodyne VX-10 subwoofer...Fry's has them onsale for 129 duckies about once a month.

Velodyne

So for roughly what you would spend on the A5's you can keep the A2's which have the same tweeter, are front ported which makes them alot less picky about placement and the Velodyne VX-10 sub for a few bones more than the A5's.

In my humble opinion for your setup your best bang for the buck would be to purchase an inexpensive sub like the VX-10 that has line level inputs that have a built in crossover that keep anything below 80Hz from getting the A2's really making them shine in the mid and upper end stuff.

For the money the A2's and a VX-10 would probably be really hard to beat...And for not much more than the A5's.

In my humble opinion of course.

Aug 3, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #20 of 30
I'm eerily curious about the A5s, and since I can still get them for $314 with a coupon, I figure it's worth a try. I've heard good things about similar Aktimates. Does anyone know anything about those?

Aug 3, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #21 of 30
+1 what Hookem said.

A5s rear port must have >6" space behind them.

It also depends on where most of your listening will be, and at what loudness.

For nearfield, you're probably better off with A2s and a sub.

If you're filling a 20'x30' room like me, then the A5s with or without a sub are a good choice too.

When I'm going to be mostly in front of the computer, headphones are used.

Aug 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 30
my desktop set up is in my study room, which is about 10' X 15'. Should I go straight for the A5 (not sure about a sub woofer), or A2 (also not sure about sub woofer)? I guess i'm just trying to figure out at what size is an A2 "too small" for a room. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:55 PM Post #23 of 30
Forget about the size of the room. If your main application will be a set of speakers for your PC, which means you'll be at an arms length away from them, then consider the A2 (or any other speaker for near field listening). If you on the other hand plan to sit comfortably in a armchair a cross the room from the speakers, then look at the A5 (or any other monitor).

Aug 4, 2009 at 5:27 AM Post #24 of 30
Why not A5s for nearfield? Hell, 90% of the pictures I've seen of people using the A5s, the A5s are propped up right on the desk right in front of them.

Aug 4, 2009 at 2:48 PM Post #25 of 30
I had my A5's on stands...But since I am always working on different computer's and in and out of my computer snatching data off of clients hard drives I decided to take them off the stands and put them on two end tables.

Almost knocked one over when they were on stands while switching out computers at my desk.

In a room your size I would also recommend the A5's with a sub.

Aug 4, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #26 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why not A5s for nearfield? Hell, 90% of the pictures I've seen of people using the A5s, the A5s are propped up right on the desk right in front of them.

I just loaned my A5's to a friend I am building a computer for...Small glass desk...Pushed right up against the wall...Sounded kinda funky.

Pulled the desk out a few inch's and moved the A5's foward to get them about 6 inches away from the wall...Much better...Then we took some books and raised them to near ear level...Again, much better.

Then we took a couple of DVD cases and put them under the front of the A5's to tilt them up and again...Big help.

He was kinda tripping that moving the speakers made such profound affects on sound quality.

Now I have my Mackie MR5's sitting on the two end tables, sitting on the MoPads and will get around to hooking up the VX-10.

Aug 4, 2009 at 4:42 PM Post #27 of 30
I recommend you add a good powered sub. If you're interested in multi-channel you could add another set of A2 speakers.

Also Audioengine sells desktop speaker stands for $29 that tilt back the A2 by 15 degrees. A more expensive option would be the Mapleshade Record stands for several times the cost of the A2 speakers.

Aug 5, 2009 at 4:47 AM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Anyone ever try the Audioengine stands? Seems like a good substitute for a ~6" makeshift stand.

and IMO a good sub will make a bigger difference than changing to A5's.

I use them. They work great for standard desk/seat height. They point the A2's very close to my ear level. They are very aesthetically pleasing also, the A2's look like they belong on top of the stands.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #30 of 30
Jumping in here, no one has mentioned that the A2s have the exact same tweeter as the A5s. I think A2s with the angled stands sound better than A5s with no stand. The A2s are smaller so also easier to get on your desk and place, etc. Add a subwoofer and you you're all set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back