Is it worth sending the A2s back and getting A5s?
Jul 31, 2009 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 30

t1337Dude

100+ Head-Fier
My neighbor pawned on me a bunch of free computer parts a few weeks ago and I sold most of it off on Craigslist. I ended up with $200 and since I was dying to try one of the AudioEngines, I ordered myself the A2s.

My first impressions with them were pretty bad. The mid bass overwhelmed practically everything and songs with even slight amounts of bass were unlistenable. So I picked up a bunch of books off my book shelf, propped them up in 2 even piles on my computer desk, and set the A2s on top. The A2s are almost ear level and the sound took an absolute turn.

They sound fantastic now, and the excess bass is completely gone. But now that I've been listening them critically for a few days now - I wouldn't bigger sound and a little more "umph". Feels like a piece of the picture is missing with the A2s. My neighbor just pawned on me about $200's worth of more extra computer stuff, so If I went through the effort of selling it - I could easily have enough for the A5s.

Money really isn't an issue to me, but the 2-3 weeks of wait until the A5s actually arrive is. If they are actually that much of an improvement, I'd gladly do it. Are the A5s much better than the A2s? Are they worth it?

Jul 31, 2009 at 7:55 PM Post #2 of 30
I'm afraid that if you run of to get the A5's and place them in the same way as your A2's you'll still be disappointed... If I were you I would elaborate a little bit more with the speaker placement. The placement have a huge impact on how the speakers will sound, as you've already found out by using stacks of books. Make sure that you have at least 6" of clearance behind the speakers, any thing less will make them sound boomy.

Jul 31, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #3 of 30
I've got atleast 2 ft behind my A2s.

a2s.jpg

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you want more bass and a wider soundstage . . . then YES!

The soundstage with the A2s is impressive, especially coming from Z-2300s, but damn - more bass and a wider soundstage is something I could go for.

But that A5 fatigue thread is making me nervous...would that happen to me? Even if I moved the A5s back to around 1ft from the wall instead of 2 ft?

Aug 1, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #6 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The soundstage with the A2s is impressive, especially coming from Z-2300s, but damn - more bass and a wider soundstage is something I could go for.

But that A5 fatigue thread is making me nervous...would that happen to me? Even if I moved the A5s back to around 1ft from the wall instead of 2 ft?

My buddy bought a set for his relatively small bedroom (we're talking NYC here) and is extremely happy with them. He came from a set of A2s as well.

Aug 1, 2009 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 30
Its natural. when you buy the second best in the product line up you will always wonder what the top of line would sound like. I would say if you have the means, go for it. I went straight to the top of the line d7000, surpassing the D2000/5000 and am liking it every bit without a feeling of missing out anything since I'm already at the top. But mind you, unlike headphones, speaker do need a bit of acoustics management in terms of room size, depth etc. If you feel the room/setup will be able to handle it, I would say go for it.

Aug 1, 2009 at 5:37 PM Post #10 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were in your shoes I would keep the A2s and go for a modest subwoofer.

For a room of that size, I'm going to agree with this advice. The A5's really need a larger area and stands (or MoPads) to shine.

Aug 1, 2009 at 11:47 PM Post #11 of 30
I had the same question before I asked a lot of questions of the nice people at Audioengine.

From your setup, looks like you made the right choice with the A2s.

The 5s are three times the size and really need more room.

Enjoy!

Aug 2, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #12 of 30
A2's have a way more natural sound. A5's will sound bloated. X2 on getting a sub

Aug 2, 2009 at 1:09 AM Post #13 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a room of that size, I'm going to agree with this advice. The A5's really need a larger area and stands (or MoPads) to shine.

I don't know where I hinted to the size of the room I'm in but this computer is in the living room, the largest room in my house. The desk with the A2s is in the very corner of it. My room is 12'x22'.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:32 AM Post #14 of 30
Quote:

Originally Posted by rjoseph /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Its natural. when you buy the second best in the product line up you will always wonder what the top of line would sound like.

Second best?! I beg to differ. OK, the A2 are smaller than the A5, but to say that they're second best is a little bit to harsh and honestly plain arrogant. The A2 are made for a different application than the A5, different not inferior. Would you also say that the Ferrari 430 is second best to the 599, The BMW M3 to the M5, the Porsche Cayman to the 911... I don't think so...

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoseFan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I were in your shoes I would keep the A2s and go for a modest subwoofer.

I agree. I have a NuForce W-1 subwoofer attached to my A2. It do make a difference, but please note that you'll have to take some time to set it all up - it's not just plug 'n play. I've managed to get my speakers and subwoofer to blend quite nicely after some laboration. It's worth it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by t1337Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I noticed from your picture that your speakers are slightly behind your LCD screen. Try to move them slightly forward so that the speaker elements clears the screen. That will improve your image and eliminate some of the reflections caused by your screen. In a perfect setup you shouldn't have anything between your speakers, not even a rack. Though this is quite impossible in a desktop setup
tongue.gif
I would also position my computer case on the floor instead of on top of my desktop next to one of the speakers...
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back