Is it worth it?
Sep 25, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #31 of 34
This is what I keep hearing by many of the more experienced reviewers. I have never auditioned them for myself, but it seems the M50 seldom impresses those who've heard a wider range of quality phones.

I can certainly say that they didn't impress me. I would spend about $20 more and get the k553. But Bobtrinity has me broke for now. XD

Sep 25, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #33 of 34
This is what I keep hearing by many of the more experienced reviewers. I have never auditioned them for myself, but it seems the M50 seldom impresses those who've heard a wider range of quality phones.

Quoting myself here, as it's relevant.

Here are some headphones I got for $150 or less that sounded better to me than the M50x:

Audio-Technica ATH-AD700
Audio-Technica ATH-M30x
Audio-Technica ATH-M40x
Koss KSC75
Koss KTXPRO1
Koss UR40
MartinLogan Mikros 90
Philips SHP9500
Pioneer SE-300
Sennheiser HD 590 Prestige
STAX SR-30
Yamaha HPH-MT220

The Sony MDR-7506 & MDR-V6 also sometimes sounded better.

(And that doesn't even get into more expensive headphones.)

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #34 of 34
were the HE-1K's worth it? Not at this point, I needed more headphone variety so I can appreciate their differences more.

This is actually a really interesting point, and one that I hadn't considered before. Once you start moving past the point of diminishing returns (wherever that line may be), a certain amount of experience is probably required to appreciate, for instance, why you might prefer one much more expensive headphone over another that has a "style" of sound. Simply saying that one is "better" than the other to your ears is a perfectly valid observation, but if you're interested in making Headphones a hobby, rather than a means to an end, it's probably more interesting to be able to articulate why you feel that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back