Is it worth it?
Feb 27, 2012 at 3:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

joemg

New Head-Fier
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's for a good deal.  I'm going to be plugging them into my Onkyo TX-SR875 to listen at home when it's not convenient to play loud music (ie. while my girlfriend is sleeping).

In the hunt for the headphones, I've seen post after post going on about headphone amps.  Is this really necessary if i'm using a big 'ol receiver to drive them?

Feb 27, 2012 at 4:16 PM Post #2 of 6
Your receiver is a headphone amp and it will work just fine.  It wasn't too long ago when all people had were receivers to amp their headphones.   Many head-fiers use receivers to amp their headphones.  It's a good solution.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:44 PM Post #3 of 6

Quote:
Your receiver is a headphone amp and it will work just fine.  It wasn't too long ago when all people had were receivers to amp their headphones.   Many head-fiers use receivers to amp their headphones.  It's a good solution.

Thanks for the reality check...  sometimes you read so much about things you lose your perspective.

Feb 27, 2012 at 5:47 PM Post #4 of 6
For all intents and purposes, a receiver should drive them just fine. Hopefully you still aren't in the same room as your sleeping girlfriend listening with open headphones.
L3000.gif

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 6

Quote:
I just got a pair of Sennheiser HD 595's for a good deal.  I'm going to be plugging them into my Onkyo TX-SR875 to listen at home when it's not convenient to play loud music (ie. while my girlfriend is sleeping).

In the hunt for the headphones, I've seen post after post going on about headphone amps.  Is this really necessary if i'm using a big 'ol receiver to drive them?

I had the TX-NR 876 and it drove both the HD600/HD650 well.  There are a lot of hype  about  headphone amps just like about 2 channel audio. If you have a space limitation, some compact headphone amps will help but do not expect day and night results. I never listen to over 1K headphone amps but below that the improvement in SQ is subtle. It's more a matter of convenience of real-estate issue with a dedicated headphone amp.

I have about three different  USC/DAC/AMPs since I need them for my laptops and my PC  and my IMac other than that  my Pioneer Elite integrated A35R  does it headphone job just fine for CDP with most of the headphones that I have and still owned.

Feb 27, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
For all intents and purposes, a receiver should drive them just fine. Hopefully you still aren't in the same room as your sleeping girlfriend listening with open headphones.
L3000.gif

lol... no she's in the bedroom with the door closed.

Listening to the 595's now for the first time (plugged into the 875)... very happy with my purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back