Is It Worth It?
Jan 14, 2009 at 9:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

CaptHowie

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Everyone,
Just a quick question related to the HeadRoom Total Bithead Headphone Amp/USB DAC. And that question is 'Is it worth it?'.
How big a leap is the quality from using a normal output from a 6th Gen iPod classic 80GB or a MacBook Pro? So, is it worth putting out the money to buy one since the AUD exchange rate is so crap compared to the USD at the moment (although better than it was a few weeks ago
tongue.gif
). All help appreciated
beerchug.gif

Jan 14, 2009 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 8
DOn't buy, exchange rate makes a huge difference.

Jan 14, 2009 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 8
What 'phones are you using?

FYI: Asking "Is it worth it" at head-fi is sort of like asking a group of devout bible-thumpers if they believe in God...
tongue.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:36 AM Post #4 of 8
Using a pair of Grado SR-60's and some Sennheiser CX400's for my portable rig, soon to be upgraded to a pair of UE Super.Fi5 Pro's when the exchange rate gets to at least a good average
frown.gif

If heard the SR-60's don't really need an amp, but would it be a worthwhile purchase for the future? I'm currently using an original Altec Lansing inMotion iPod Dock which seems to have a good amplifier in it [suprisingly, unlike modern docks :]]... and that last comment is certainly true... should have 're-worded' it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #5 of 8
Just had another thought. Is it worth spending money on the Total BitHead or just spending $20 on a Fiio E5? How much better do SR-60's get with a good amp?

Jan 15, 2009 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 8
I'd say any headphone would benefit from an amp + dac -- bypassing the crappy circuitry of your source is never a bad thing. Some headphones just need an amp more badly than others.

Oh man, I love threads when someone has some super cheap, improvised audio system and everyone comes in and tells them to empty their bank account.

"Hullo there, I am currently using my grandfather's toaster as a DAC, hooked up to a Betamax VCR's RCA jacks as an amp, powering my iPod's earbuds. Which part needs upgraded first, help!"

Response: "ZANA DEUX NOW"

Jan 15, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #7 of 8
Or is it worth building the Mini3?

Jan 15, 2009 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 8
The real benefit to the Total Bithead is to replace the crappy soundcard in your computer with a decent usb dac/amp combo. It also offers crossfeed which you may or may not like.
The Mini3 is a much better amp and will drive a wider range of headphones than the others you have mentioned. That's the route I would go.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back