Is it worth it?
Feb 26, 2005 at 11:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Cyclone

Headphoneus Supremus
So im contemplating making the jump from my px100's to the grado sr-60's. Is it worth it? Other than portability and weight what am i losing/gaining by going up to the sr60's. i would say about 80% of my music is encoded at 128 mp3 (sorry, thats what i get for pirating my music) with the remaining 20% being divided up evenly by 160kbps and 192kbps. I'll be using the sr-60's mostly at home on my chaintech card (see signature). i listen to alot of different styles of music from really heavy bass stuff like NIN, Tool, and Techno but also listen to alot of music with a more high end signature like Bob Dylan, Led Zeppelin, and just a bunch of other stuff that sits in the middle. So is it worth it guys/gals?

Feb 27, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 11
Cyclone
HI: How are you? I would suggest buying the Alessandro MS-1 for 99.00 and free shipping. The MS-1 has great bass upfront mids and extended highs. But in my opinion the MS-1 is not as harsh as the grado 60,80,225.

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #4 of 11
Warning - Grado Fanboy Here!

I think either the SR60 or the MS1 would be good choices for you. Which one I would recomend lies only in how much money you are able to spend. If you can make the $30+ plunge from the SR60 to the MS1 I would do it in a heartbeat. Either one is worth the money, and most important in your case worth the money for the upgraded sound. This is espacialy true if you are not expecting to upgrade your source, interconnects, and buy an amp or two. Without spending the money to upgrade all of those the SR60 & the MS1 are near the height of reasonable upgrading.

Is it worth it...yes, expecialy when you get the feeling that you know you are listening to the best there is...

Feb 27, 2005 at 5:58 AM Post #5 of 11
Has anyone asked you if you are happy with your Sennheiser PX100 cans?
confused.gif

If you are still happy with your PX100 cans, then stick with them. However, should you want a bump up in clarity, Pace-Rhythm-Acceleration-and-Timing (PRAT), along with tighter bass response: Grado SR-60.
tongue.gif

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #6 of 11
I have both the PX100 and SR60. They definitely give you very different listening experiences, and this is based on listening to WMA files encoded at 128. Take the plunge.

Feb 27, 2005 at 6:38 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
Has anyone asked you if you are happy with your Sennheiser PX100 cans?
confused.gif

If you are still happy with your PX100 cans, then stick with them. However, should you want a bump up in clarity, Pace-Rhythm-Acceleration-and-Timing (PRAT), along with tighter bass response: Grado SR-60.
tongue.gif

I like my PX100's but i feel like i could be getting alot more out of my music after listening to my HD545's for a while. Unfortunately the 545's are only a temp hand-me-down so they will be leaving me shortly
frown.gif
. Im pretty sure no one here has the 545 references as they are a bit old, rare, and have been replaced by another model (cant remember which though) so it would be difficult for someone to compare the 545's with the sr-60's. I am also seriously contemplating the 280 pro's because of their isolation abilities. I would use them at home but my house is usually filled with background noise, other TV's running, or people playing halo 2(
biggrin.gif
) . How do the 280's compare to the px100's SQ wise? Its too bad that the 280's are so ugly and are non portable player friendly because i would have bought them along time ago. Would i notice a big difference between the sr-60's and the 280 pros with such low bit rate music?

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:33 AM Post #8 of 11
I auditioned the Sennheiser HD280 PRO and I own the Grado SR-60 cans. I feel that both headphones need an extremely high number of hours to burn in before they blossom in sound quality. These two headphones can not be more different from each other in terms of design and price. The HD280 PRO is a closed circumaural pair of cans that have a relatively high level of passive sound isolation and an extremely neutral frequency response while the SR-60s are open-air circumaural cans with a legendary history for warm, harmonically rich, and smooth frequency response. In my humble opinion, both cans represent excellent values for mid-priced full-sized cans. So, you really can not go wrong with either if you decide they are worthy upgrades.

If I were you, then I would audition these two cans before investing your money. If that is not possible, then continue doing research into both cans as they have a storied past within the purview of Head-Fi. My gut tells me that the Grado SR-60 would represent a better price : performance ratio of the two aforementioned cans. There is no doubt in my mind that they will give you added resolution, tighter bass response, and a slightly fuller soundstage as compared to your Sennheiser PX100 cans.

No, I won't sell my Grado SR-60 cans, but I would recommend them to you especially if you are looking for an alternative to the Sennheiser house sound.

As an addendum to what I have written, remember that you can decide to re-encode to a higher sample bit rate or utilize a different audio compression codec from the source material. In doing so, you will achieve greater transparency which may be a boon should you decide to get either the HD280 PRO or SR-60.

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:45 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Welly Wu
As an addendum to what I have written, remember that you can decide to re-encode to a higher sample bit rate or utilize a different audio compression codec from the source material. In doing so, you will achieve greater transparency which may be a boon should you decide to get either the HD280 PRO or SR-60.

All of my music is downloaded so i dont have the source to re-encode from.

Well it seems that i have stumbled upon another headphone in my price range that seems very very attrictive. The HD555's seem like a great ballance for me as long as i can get them in the 50ohm version so i can occasionally use them with my portable. Grado's are just so hard to find and i just dont like buying headphones that i cant audition first. I will be off tommorow to go have a quick audition at my local sennheiser dealer so i can see if the 280's clamp my head or not or if they just feel uncomfortable and i think i will be able to find the 555's there too. as for now i think that the sr-60's are out unless i dont like the 280's or the 555's as i can find them both for under 100 bucks.

Thanks for your help so far guys i'll be back tommorow with some impressions on the 280's and 555's (hopefully
biggrin.gif
)

Feb 27, 2005 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 11
IMO, Grados or HD280's are too revealing for a collection of mostly 128 mp3's, unless you plan on changing that situation in the future (and trust me, what the SR60's will do to your MP3's would make you). You might get away with the HD555's as they seem to be a bit on the warmer side to me, and wouldn't make those mp3's sound quite as bad. Unless you got them for the circumaural comfort, I really see no point in any headphones more expensive than the PX100's for 128 mp3's.

Feb 28, 2005 at 1:25 AM Post #11 of 11
Update: Well i went to go find the local sennheiser dealer in my city but it was burried somewhere downtown and i couldnt find it, so i went over to my local ski shop cause i was bored and well.... i tried on some Soloman X wave 9 boots ($340
eek.gif
), big mistake on my part i guess. screw new headphones im getting those boots
icon10.gif
. Im a skier first and an audiophile second so i'll get some headphones for my birthday i guess
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back