Is it worth it to upgrade the HD-590s with a GSP Audio Solo amp?
Mar 8, 2002 at 10:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Keiso

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,
My name is Keiso, and I'm a newbie in this forum. Let me just start by saying that I own a pair of Sennheiser HD-590, and I love them. Before I bought them, I listened to the 580, 590 and the 600 for a long time at the audioshop. All 3 pairs were excellent sounding, but in the end, I prefered the more detailed sound of the 590s. I have absolutely no idea what the other people are talking about when they say that the 590s are bright. I've heard bright gears before, and the 590s are not in that category, at least to my ears (I'm a 22 year old guy, whose hearing capacity has not been damaged yet ^_^)

I'm not after to start a huge discussion about 580 vs 590 vs 600, because I know these headphones will suit different people (although I still get pissed everytime someone says the 580s are way better than the 590s, which it is NOT. With or without amp.)

Currently, I'm running the 590s with my Sony SCD-XB940 player, which I think is a fantastic CD player, definitely one of the best in its price class. Actually, Sony is dumping this older model away now, so you can get it for like less that $300 bucks if you're lucky, and for that price, there's no contest, this is THE CD player to get, and you can take the SACD feature as a bonus
smily_headphones1.gif

This CD player has a 10 mW headphone output. Maybe not a very impressive number, but the 590s sound fantastic with this SACD player. My B&W setup in the living room is collecting dust these days because the Senns sound so good with this Sony player. But as good as it sounds, I can't help but to wonder if my Senns has actually reached its full potential yet.

I've been thinking about buying a dedicated headphone amp for a while now. But the problem is, it seems like I can't get a really audiophile class amp without shelling out a fortune for it. I'm looking for an amp around the $300 price range, and for that sum, it seems like I won't be able to get any huge improvement in sound....

Then I saw this Solo Amp from GSP Audio designed by Mr. Slee. It looks just like what I'm looking for. The price is right, the design is pleasing, and as far as I've read about the performance, it's very good, even a match for more expensive amps.

So now I'm wondering, is it worth it to me to buy this amp to couple with my Senn 590s, which are already very easy driven? Will I get any noticeable improvement in sound from my current setup with the Sony player? At least an improvement that's worth shelling out $300 bucks for?

In the future, I might pick up a pair of Senn 600s too, since these are such a classic pair of cans... so maybe I'll need an amp anyway. Does anyone know if the Solo amp is good enough to drive the 600s?

It's been a long post, but thanks for reading!
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 9, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Keiso;

Why not consider Meier Audio Corda, or Porta Corda. They are tried, tested and true!

Email Jan for details.

I tried to purchase a Slee Solo but parts were in short supply, so no deal. Made me think of Mickey Mouse!!!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Mar 9, 2002 at 10:59 PM Post #3 of 5
Yes, the Meier Corda amp is also one of the amps I'm considering....

It seems like that the Solo amp has better quality components, though.

Or maybe I should just save up for a Stax system that includes an amp
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 10, 2002 at 1:02 PM Post #5 of 5
Oh man, I need more insight into the world of headphones. I didn't discover the Sugden Headmaster amp until yesterday!

This is exactly what I'm looking for! Kick-@ss design, great connectivity, and as far as I've read, high-end sound! Doesn't seem to come cheap, though..... but if I'm getting a headphone amp, this will be it!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back