Is it worth it to upgrade my sound card?
Oct 19, 2004 at 1:42 AM Post #16 of 36
Humn, if it's any help I think that Dynaudio Audience 52SE are just a tad better than HD25-1 in the imaging department and treble definition, but then again - they're about $1600, not $180. the HD25-1 were much more detailed in the bass-area and had a less coloured midrange, so all in all - different presentation for different setups.
But as a rule, never compare speakers to headphones, but rest assured, no $250 speakers can compete with decent headphones. (for their overall presentation of sound)

EDIT: Mr. Radar explained it perfectly

That said, HD25-1 was horrible sounding from onboard sound, and even more horrible out of Logitech Z560 headphone jack, so place your money one place at a time.
If you want a mini-system besides headphones, the Denon 201SA is a brilliant start. I'm not sure what they go for, but you can buy each section (i.e. tuner, amp, cd, md), so you can upgrade/substitute later on. Speakers are free of choice.

Oct 19, 2004 at 7:45 AM Post #17 of 36
Alright I found it here: http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...roducts_id=247

but this was the only non-german place I could find.

I can't find the speakers separate, though. =/ So I would just want the amp and the speakers? I don't really need a CD player b/c I listen mostly to MP3's and if I use a CD can't I play it off my CD player on the computer?

Oct 19, 2004 at 8:19 AM Post #18 of 36
Cyrillic, there are better forums than this for help on picking out loudspeakers. This group isnt necessarily going to give you the (possibly) best advice on anything other than a headphone setup. Just to let you know.

Oct 19, 2004 at 8:26 AM Post #19 of 36
ok, FINALLY a thread I can help out in....

Check out the multimedia speakers at www.swanspeaker.com and be prepared to drool. You can get the M200 from Newegg.com for I believe $170, but it's a 2.0 speaker. Granted, it's regarded as one of the top speakers out there, but still 2.0. If you want 2.1, which I would assume you would, check out the M-20 series, which is $180 shipped. They used to be called the "retro" series, and sold it for $230. You won't be disappointed.

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:03 PM Post #20 of 36
180+380 eh? That's getting a bit steep... Is there a way to cut down on the cost of the reciever maybe?

Edit: I can't figure out where I should put this because I want to talk about recievers as well... not just about speakers. I could make two of them I guess, but I don't know which forum recievers go in.

Oct 19, 2004 at 2:06 PM Post #21 of 36
I have not purchased computer speakers for a while, but I ran across this:

http://www.vonschweikert.com/fps_speaker.html

Although I have not heard these, this company has a great reputation and offers a free trial. I currently use a pair of their larger floorstanders and they are the best speakers I have owned.

I have been tempted to try them myself even though I am not currently in the market for a smaller speaker set. Using an EMU-404 as a front end to might be the ticket.

Lynn

P.S. No receiver is required.

Oct 19, 2004 at 6:15 PM Post #22 of 36
I'm going to give these speakers a try. I could find virtually nothing about them on the web. It is worth noting that Albert Von Schweikert had nothing to do with designing or making these speakers. Who knows, he could have been stuck with a bunch of them because FPS could not afford to pay him...
Anyway, I'm going to give them a shot - free shipping from amazon.com. I'll try and find this thread and report back how I like them if anybody is interested.

To the original poster, if you haven't already figured out, if you are serious about sound from your computer you should get a better audio out device.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lynn
I have not purchased computer speakers for a while, but I ran across this:

http://www.vonschweikert.com/fps_speaker.html

...snip...

Lynn

P.S. No receiver is required.

Oct 19, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #23 of 36
Oh yes, I've definately decided on buying a new sound card. I just don't know which one I need... I'm tempted to get the Chaintech because it's so cheap.

Those speakers do look good. How long do you think it'll be until you get them? I'd love to hear your review. I've never heard of ribbon speakers, BTW. Are they known for poor quality or not?

PS: So would the sound benefit not be worth it to get a reciever? If I can do without one, I'd love that.

Oct 20, 2004 at 3:44 AM Post #24 of 36
I went free - read slow - shipping, so probably 7-10 days.
Ribbon type speakers are usually very fast and precise.
I'm guessing these speakers will have clear mids and treble.
Probably not much bass. Where I'm using them I can't have
booming bass anyway. They may not be a good choice for a typical highschool student, but you may not be typical. If the amp is quiet, and the
speakers are smooth, clear and precise, I'll be happy (even though, like
I said, I think they'll be lacking in the bass - hard to get much
bass out of a 4" woofer)
A standalone reciever and speakers will no doubt give you better
sound, but, they'll cost more than $130.
I have headphones for more serious listening, and I expect (hope)
these will sound better than the cheap HK speakers I'm using
now while moving around the office.

Edit: I haven't followed the PCI card discussions (I use an M-audio audiophile firewire) but I think most everybody here is probably using a headphone amplifier with the chaintech. You might want to check it'll drive your headphones directly if your not planning to by an amp.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #25 of 36
By typical, you mean basshead? No, my primary concern isn't bass. My room is directly below the room where my parents watch TV and bass drives them nuts.

Oct 20, 2004 at 4:54 AM Post #26 of 36
I'm officially retracting my Swan speaker statement for now. I had ordered a set I demo'd, and the service is non-existant. I ordered them on the 8th, STILL haven't shipped yet, and nobody answers emails or calls. I might have to switch to the Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for $110.

Oct 20, 2004 at 5:46 AM Post #27 of 36
I also second the 0404, it really is quite an improvement over the chaintech, although if you plan on using headphones, the card will not drive them.

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:05 AM Post #28 of 36
Uh darn... I already ordered a Chaintech...

Oct 20, 2004 at 8:42 AM Post #29 of 36
I'm a little leery of getting a PC speaker set, but this is looking pretty good. Ignoring price, how do you think they'll be? Should I just not bother with PC speakers and just go for real speakers? The nice thing about these is that they have a connector that goes into a soundcard.

Oct 20, 2004 at 9:34 AM Post #30 of 36
It'd be easy to connect hifi speakers, especially with an integrated amp or AV reciever, you'd just run a mini to rca cable to the input on the amp or reciever, and then connect the speakers to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back