Is it worth it to upgrade my sound card?
Oct 18, 2004 at 2:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Cyrillic

100+ Head-Fier
I have Interl(r) 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller for my sound card I think... I play music off my computer speakers which are Harmon Kardon HK695-01 model (it's a 3 piece set) quite a bit, and I might start to use it to play my headphones out of once I get my new HD 25-1's.

So is it worth it to get a soundcard upgrade or will it not really matter? Also, are these speakers something that needs upgrading, too?

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:08 AM Post #2 of 36
Wow.

New soundcard, new headphones, new speakers, you need the works man.

Oct 18, 2004 at 2:29 AM Post #3 of 36
Agreed. Your soundcard NEEDS to go, however. Onboard sound is the ultimate in suckage
biggrin.gif

PC Speakers suck. You need to get two GOOD speakers and a receiver/AMP and play them through your sound card. Those multimedia speaker packages are a terrible value and sound like crap.

PS: If you get the Senneheisers, please, for the love of god, don't play them through your pc speakers.

Oct 18, 2004 at 4:56 AM Post #5 of 36
I have upgraded my laptop sounds from onboard 'SoundMAX' to an Echo Indigo IO, and my media pc's soundcard from a generic onboard AC97 to a (modded) Emu-0404. In both cases the differences have been as clear as day - especially the desktop upgrade to the Emu-0404. So I'd definitely recommend a soundcard upgrade (and, as others have suggested, speakers and headphones
icon10.gif
)

Oct 18, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 36
I also feel a soundcard upgrade is an absolute must. I also think the E-MU cards (404, 1212m) give you a lot for the money. Stay away from consumer gaming cards (Sound Blaster, etc). Given the relatively modest price difference, buying an E-Mu card is a no brainer.

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:05 AM Post #7 of 36
Alright so can I need to get rid of the soundcard. I've gotten a recommendation of the E-MU card, can anyone second it? I'm not looking to spend a lot so her description of it being cheap sounds good.

Quote:

You need to get two GOOD speakers and a receiver/AMP

I don't know what a reciever is... could you clarify? Also, how much will these good speakers and reciever/AMP cost?

Quote:

your computer is screaming for a chaintech

I have no clue what a chaintech is, either... I'm kinda a newbie at this.

Overall, I want the most cost effective solution. I ordered the Sennheiser HD 25-1's yesterday so at least that is fixed. I'm thinking maybe I'll use those instead of speakers, reciever/amp... I will get a new soundcard, however... I do like speakers a lot, though. I always thought mine sounded good, too! Oh well, what do you recommend that's pretty cheap? If I could spend less than $150 that'd be good... But if you think that's unreasonably cheap, feel free to suggest more expensive options.

Oct 18, 2004 at 6:17 AM Post #9 of 36
I should note... I can spend a lot more than $150... but I'm just estimating that that'll be a price that'll get me pretty good sound yet save me some cash... however I'm starting to research sound cards and I'm seeing this may not be possible, especially if I want speakers and a reciever/AMP. If I go with the headphones I don't need an amp, though, so that's nice. I like speakers because I can move about my room, but then again headphones are nice in their own way. I don't think there's any way I'll spend much more than $300, though... and again, if it's possible try and keep it lower than that. I guess the most I would consider doing is $400 and that'd have to be for something pretty seriously good.

EDIT: Found Creative Labs EMU 0404 for $90 and also found it at Zzounds so I might call them to beat the price... They might give me $85 then.

Oct 18, 2004 at 9:08 AM Post #11 of 36
Hmm that chaintech is looking good for the price. And at that price maybe I could get some speakers too? How much are speakers? Also, I've heard no mention of this reciever/AMP... Is the reciever/AMP necessary with speakers cause I know I don't need it for my head phones. If I need it, how much is it?

Oct 18, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrillic
Hmm that chaintech is looking good for the price. And at that price maybe I could get some speakers too? How much are speakers? Also, I've heard no mention of this reciever/AMP... Is the reciever/AMP necessary with speakers cause I know I don't need it for my head phones. If I need it, how much is it?

When they were referring to speakers...they weren't meaning computer multimedia sets (such as your HK695, which just plug into the soundcard). A reciever is a unit to power the speakers. Your speakers that plug into said reciever will most likely be INCOMPATIBLE with your sound card (speaker wire doesn't comply with speaker output jacks on the computer sound card).

For Stereo Output
Sound Card Output (Front Speaker)>Stereo RCA Cable>Reciever Input (Stereo Line-In)>Speakers

For Surround Output
Sound Card Output (Either Coaxial or Optical)>(Either Coaxial or Optical Cable (depending on which one you choose))>Reciever Input (Either Coaxial or Optical)>Speakers

Hope this provides some help...

EDIT: To make the work easier: If you're just listening to normal CD's and similar, you just need a stereo output. In that case, consider purchasing a good mini-system ($250+) to start off.

NOTE: I'm just telling you what I did to "start off" (meaning: this may or may not be what you seek). BTW: I'm upgrading.

Oct 19, 2004 at 12:00 AM Post #14 of 36
Quote:

For Stereo Output
Sound Card Output (Front Speaker)>Stereo RCA Cable>Reciever Input (Stereo Line-In)>Speakers

Okay, I kind of get this. I don't know how I plug in this "front speaker" into the sound card and I don't get what a front speaker is, but a cable to the reciever to the speakers I get. So, how many speakers do you mean when you say "(Stereo Line-In)>Speakers". Do you have recommendations? If it's possible I'd like to spend less than $250, but I'm open to suggestions anyways. Will the sound really be worth the cash to a high school student?

The idea of stereo sound that rivals or exceeds my HD 25-1 is appealing. I can do $250+ if that's what's necessary, but I'd prefer less. If it's $250 then I'll have to either put off the purchase of my new monitor or tap into my bank account ($2500, but I hate to touch it) as an advance on my next birthday/christmas present.

Well anyways, any setup suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is finally boiling down to the good stuff.
smily_headphones1.gif
If possible, maybe a system within a couple or three price ranges would be nice.

Oct 19, 2004 at 1:33 AM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyrillic
Okay, I kind of get this. I don't know how I plug in this "front speaker" into the sound card and I don't get what a front speaker is, but a cable to the reciever to the speakers I get.

The "Front speaker" he is referring to is the front speaker output on surround sound computer soundcards (because mini-jacks, as used on computer soundcards, only support stereo sound to get six channels (5.1 surround sound) you need to use three jacks, commonly labeled "Front speaker", "Rear speaker" and "Center/Sub").

Quote:

So, how many speakers do you mean when you say "(Stereo Line-In)>Speakers".

Two, as in stereo (or maybe two plus a sub, but good subwoofers are expensive).

Quote:

Do you have recommendations?

I can't help you there as I have no experience with speakers.

Quote:

If it's possible I'd like to spend less than $250, but I'm open to suggestions anyways. Will the sound really be worth the cash to a high school student?

To get speakers that are the same quality as headphones you generally need to spend more (much more, sometimes many times the cost of the headphones) to get the same level of sound quality, and speakers (by their nature) will never be able to match the intimate and detailed presentation of headphones. Of course, headphones have their weaknesses in comparison to speakers as well (most notabely they will never be able to have the same soundstage and impact that speakers have).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back