Is it worth it to try the fiio FH5 if I have the FD5?
Jan 5, 2022 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FlatBeat

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Fiio FD5's and like them quite a bit. Still, they're not perfect. I can't put my finger on it but I'm interested in trying other sounds signatures (I'm relatively new to the hobby).

I can get a pair of used FH5's for a decent price but the reviews I've read said that the FD5's are superior in pretty much every way.

I'm probably going to be trying and flipping a bunch of pairs so I don't want to lose money on a re-sale if it's not neccesary. In your opinion is it worth it to buy and try the FH5's? Thanks.

Jan 6, 2022 at 9:49 PM Post #2 of 2
I haven't tried the FH5s. I have the FH3s and the FD3s (so basically similar relationship but a tier down) and they sound very different. The dynamics between a single driver IEM and a multi-driver IEM can't be understated. Plus, the FD5s incorporate a semi-open design. In my opinion, FiiO's single dynamic line-up sounds more spacious, even and cohesive - I much prefer it. The multi-driver (in this case for me, the FH3) pack a little more detail and low-end and are frequently on the warmer side, I think this is especially true for the FH5. While I do think FiiO single driver lineup is better, it's also just different so I don't believe the FH5 would be a let-down.

Personally, I'd look at the FA7s, that's my next target. I've tried a lot of different IEMs, but never a full BA arrangement. Multi-driver IEMs are sort of a dime a dozen, but finding a good multi-BA IEM is tough.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back