Is It Worth it to Pico ES530s$$$$
Jan 11, 2008 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

barmar46

100+ Head-Fier
Listening to my 80 gig ipod classic through Shure SE530s is pretty good. Great drivers. All around ok sound but lacking in vocal clarity and just the bacic oomph. Would the SQ improve SIGNIFICANTLY through the "now the rage" Pico give the expense output of $500 (I'd get the dac too. Even through I don't currently listen through my computer, I hear the dac is the really revolutionary feature and I'm sure I'd get some use out of it.) However, given the Shures are considered the one iem that can stand alone, if there really isn't a significantly appreciable SQ improvement, I could use that $500 to improve my home gear. I'm taking sound here, not status.

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:44 PM Post #2 of 9
I love the Pico, but in my experience amplication doesn't improve the e500s much, if at all. I've owned the Tomahawk and now own the Pico, and in the end use the e500s right out of the headphone jack of my Classic and Nano.

Jan 15, 2008 at 12:53 AM Post #3 of 9
Thanks Greg. Great information. I have E 530's too and have been considering a pico. Mostly because my macbook pro sounds terrible thru the Shures. Your perspective is helpful.

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:58 PM Post #4 of 9
I don't know how much help this is but I demoed the Shures while I was at the airport yesterday with my Pico and I wasn't impressed by the sq at all. This was however the first time I heard them.

Jan 15, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by nautilus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't know how much help this is but I demoed the Shures while I was at the airport yesterday with my Pico and I wasn't impressed by the sq at all. This was however the first time I heard them.

Haha you knocked the beloved shures way down with a statement like that. What does impress you?

Jan 16, 2008 at 2:53 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by filipelli /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha you knocked the beloved shures way down with a statement like that. What does impress you?

All of the stuff that I own that costs less, AH-D2000, Sr-80, wharfedale diamond 9.2's, ksc-75. Ok, not all my stuff, I do own some e3c's that I bought in 9th grade which did impress me until I knew better.

Jan 16, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #7 of 9
I used to own the E4(I've never heard the SE530) and when comparing line out from 5G,5.5G iPod and Zen Vision:M with respective headphone out, there was a small but appreciable improvement, this was using a low-end portable amp (PA2v2)...so I can imagine using a Pico would be better -DUH.

I feel that it's worth it to amp a line out even using efficient IEMs, the upgrade in SQ isn't huge but once you notice it, its difficult to go back to using the headphone output...only the added bulk can be a hassle.

btw, I gave up my E4 for ER4 and I've been happy ever since.
etysmile.gif

Jan 18, 2008 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 9
is anyone comparing the line-out on their own classic to the headphone out? if you feel that the line-out still has some advantage (some do, some dispute it) then amplification will make sense. otherwise, simplify.

Jan 18, 2008 at 11:39 AM Post #9 of 9
I use my e500's (same as the 530's) with my hornet and td2/cardas hpi line out cause i keep it all in my car's glove box just incase i need the sound quality on the go (ipod classic is always with me).

I seriously can not believe people would say no to an amp with the line out of the ipod..the sound stage completely enlarges and thats just one example.

the best match i heard with the 500's (again same as 530's) is the tomahawk by far though, still i think an amp is well worth it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back