Is it worth it to add a Car amp to the 4 speakers in my car?
May 1, 2004 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

skiguy411

100+ Head-Fier
I have two 4 inch (60 watt) and two 5.25 inch (80 watt) Rockford Fosgate speakers in my car driven by my Pioneer head unit (50 x 4).

My question is that would there be a noticable sound change if I were to add an amp to those speakers? If so, can anyone recommend me some multichannel car amps?

May 1, 2004 at 4:55 PM Post #2 of 11
Yes, adding a car amp will enable you to play your music louder inside your car. A 50x4 amp will do for you. That head unit of yours is rated 50x4, but you would be lucky if it gives out 25RMS per channel. Rockford Fosgate makes nice car amps.

May 1, 2004 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 11
Not only louder but cleaner. The amp in the head unit is not the best
tongue.gif

Better to use signal level out to the dedicated amp and from there to the speakers. You can also add a subwoofer if you want.

More potential for tweaking...

May 1, 2004 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
You can also add a subwoofer if you want.

gsferrari,

What are you trying to do?! clean out his wallet? He has to have some money left to buy some new headphone gear!
tongue.gif

May 1, 2004 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gsferrari
Not only louder but cleaner. The amp in the head unit is not the best
tongue.gif

Better to use signal level out to the dedicated amp and from there to the speakers. You can also add a subwoofer if you want.

Hm...alright, well I already have a small sub (Infinity Bass Link) just to fill out the sound. Im looking at the Rockford Fosgate P4004 Amp

Im still trying to figure out if its worth the some 300 dollars....

Thanks for you help!

May 1, 2004 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 11
Oh yeah, amp will definitely help. Those headunit power ratings are always pmpo. I find that their rms ratings are somewhat doubtful too, usually. 19w RMS x4? More like 19w total...

May 1, 2004 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

I have two 4 inch (60 watt) and two 5.25 inch (80 watt) Rockford Fosgate speakers in my car driven by my Pioneer head unit (50 x 4).

the 50x4 is it's peak power. they hit about 18-23 watts rms. That is most head-units. FEW and i mean FEW go above that.

if i remember correctly, car speakers are usually at 2 ohms..or that might be subs. before you make your choice.. go to www.elitecaraudio.com ..once again, sorry for your wallet.

May 1, 2004 at 6:43 PM Post #8 of 11
Different headunits sound different even at the same RMS power rating. My Sony HU sounds CRAP, rated at I think 23w RMS. My friend's Pioneer HU rated at like 19w RMS blows mine out of the water. Both volume and soundwise. I hate sony...

May 1, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 11
50x4 is likely 50 watts into 4 channels, or about 12 wpc, peak. A good quality amp will certainly help, and you mentioned you already have a sub which is normally my first recommendation to fill in the bottom. I have a Nakamichi head unit that puts out 11 wpc & a 10" Infinity sub powered by a 90 wpc harmon Kardon mono amp. The system won't blow your eardrums out but sounds very balanced top to bottom.

May 2, 2004 at 4:27 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by skiguy411

My question is that would there be a noticable sound change if I were to add an amp to those speakers? If so, can anyone recommend me some multichannel car amps?

how much do you want to spend? much like headphone amps, car amps can run anywhere from under $100 to multi-$1000 setups. Even though they are both "rated" at 50X4, a dedicated amp will have much better sound than the built in amp on your head unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back