Is it worth going from JH13 to JH16?
Nov 24, 2011 at 8:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

kryten123

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Seeing as JH Audio have their Black Friday deals on at the moment, I am seriously considering whether to get the JH16. I have a pair of reshelled JH13 already but am really tempted by the idea of upgrading to the JH16

Does anyone here own both or have experience of both?

Other than the bass, are there sufficient differences to warrant the huge investment?

I listen to all forms of music from Opera to Prog Metal so dont specifically need Bass heavy IEMs for one genre of music.

Does anyone from the UK own them? How was your experience - I am a little concerned about being stung for import tax and the extra costs involved if they dont fit 100% first time.

Any comments to help me make up my mind would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

Nov 24, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #2 of 9
The JH13 shares a lot of similarity with the JH16, and you would be getting a more hefty, bassier sound with the JH16s. To me, the JH13 sounds like a very neutral studio monitor that extracts every bit of detail out of the music to deliver an outstanding presentation of the recording. The JH16 sounds like an exceptionally well-tuned stereo setup that focuses on the musical experience while still retrieving nearly as much detail as the JH13.

I've heard both IEMs side-by-side, and I can say they are quite different, but not enough to warrant a completely new purchase if you already have the JH13. That is my opinion. 

Nov 24, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #3 of 9

Quote:
The JH13 shares a lot of similarity with the JH16, and you would be getting a more hefty, bassier sound with the JH16s. To me, the JH13 sounds like a very neutral studio monitor that extracts every bit of detail out of the music to deliver an outstanding presentation of the recording. The JH16 sounds like an exceptionally well-tuned stereo setup that focuses on the musical experience while still retrieving nearly as much detail as the JH13.

I've heard both IEMs side-by-side, and I can say they are quite different, but not enough to warrant a completely new purchase if you already have the JH13. That is my opinion. 

I've owned both and agree 100%.  JH16 certainly more fun though...

Nov 24, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 9
Nov 25, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #6 of 9
Thanks everyone.

mmmm.....I love the clarity of detail with the JH13 and would not want to lose that.
However, the extra depth of Bass intrigues me...but I am not sure I would want that dance club deep thumping bass all the time.
Is the JH16 bass always there ie is it overpowering and obscure some of the subtleties in the music?

The other thing I love about the JH13 is the soundstage width and depth, where every instrument is seperate and I can "see" where it located in the band - is this altered\less obvious with the JH16?

This is going to be a really difficult decision....although if Denon do a Black Friday deal on their D7000 (which I also want), that would make my mind up instantly...lol

Thanks guys

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #7 of 9

Quote:
TS already knows about the Black Friday sale and he owns the JH13 thus the consideration.

Sorry,  I didn't know.  I have the JH13 and have been contemplating the same whether to buy both and coming across the Black Friday sale almost pushed me into buying the JH16s.  They were in my cart but I backed out but only knowing that I can torment myself another couple of days since the sale is on through the 27th.

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 9
Audio Addict - I have gone so far as using the IEM designer on the website and designing my JH16. I've emailed JH Audio with some questions about the whole purchasing process...so am moving closer to buying.
I am very curious as to how they compare with the JH13. Having read lots of posts and various reviews, I think that although they have more bass, it fits in with what you'e listening to without overpowering the rest of the audio spectrum.
Only 2 more days to make a decision!

Nov 25, 2011 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 9
yeah i was offered an upgrade to jh16 due to an issue with a service of my jh13 ie. i could chose whichever i wanted at no further cost, i decided after seeing the frequency response plots around the place that i would just stick with the 13's, which already are just a touch south of neutral

Users who are viewing this thread

Back