is it worth buying an amp
Dec 14, 2006 at 7:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

gugi

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I just bought myself HD595 for christmas (still waiting for DHL) and I think I will also need a headphone amp to connect to my ipod. But I do not have anough money to also buy a line-out dock.
I am wondering whether it is worthed buying an amp anyways and in several months buying the dock as well.

This is probably very stupid question, but I am very new to this and I have been trying to read these forums for the last 10 days. It's very overwhelming and I haven't yet found the answer so I thought I would just ask.

Thank you very much for your answers.

P.S. I am also not quite sure of what amp to buy. Looks like for 50-60 I can buy a cmoy amp, or sometimes people sell other used amps for the same price, which is what i am leaning to. Also read about misterX building amps that are better than cmoy, but I'm not sure how expensive they are. from what I read he is currently away too.

Dec 14, 2006 at 7:27 PM Post #2 of 3
Welcome,

The very efficient HD-595s will NOT need an amp out of the iPod as there is already a small (basic) amp there already.
Should you decide to add an amp thru the headphone out of the iPod the signal would first be amped by the iPods amp then that signal will be amplified more by any outboard amp. The best thing to use with a outboard amp is the signal from the "line out" of the ipod as the signal will be pure and not have been degraded by the iPods headphone out amplification!

You should be fine and get fairly good sonics w/595s hooked into the headphone out with enough volume to be enjoyable for you.

Save up for the line out dock and only then get an amp of choice for that signals sonic improvements ;-}

Enjoy ya new 595s!

Dec 14, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #3 of 3
Many thanks for the quick reply,

This is what I suspected, but it's very reassuring to hear it from somebody experienced.

I'm so anxious to get them - looks like they got delayed by another day
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back