Is it worth biding on the STAX SR-Ω(ORIGINAL)Auction
Jul 14, 2006 at 3:04 PM Post #16 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by LS4ME
Dear sir,
I did asked for one here. If you read my reply CAREFULLY,you will realized that I had done so. Furthermore, It is on the net, anybody could have seen it. Anyone who have access will look at the auctions at a regular interval and would have spotted it anyway....Our friend jjcha included.
Is there any posting restrictions here???What about freedom of press and speech?????? I believe his comment is uncoth and uncalled for.I rest my case. Thank you.
I join this forum with the intention of having fun not enemies.
best regards
LS4ME

We are not trying to be your enemies, but well... posting auction links on head-fi *usually* leads to the listing gaining far more attention than it would/should have. For instance a certain ECR-500 went for an amazing $150 after it was posted on head-fi; the second time it was listed (without anyone noticing it), it went for a mere $30. If you needed more replies on your thread, a simple bump would have sufficed; and you could have asked for a smaller comparison
biggrin.gif
(02 against the 01 instead of 02 vs 01 vs SRXmk3)

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:10 PM Post #17 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nomad
Probably not after you posting this!
tongue.gif

Now in all seriousness, it is worth biding on them.

For me they are at least as good as the HE90, after weeks of careful and extensive A/B tests with all kind of music. I honestly think they are technically better but the Big O is so smooth... that it is a very tough call.

Think about a cross between the HE90 and the Qualias. Or about a HE60 on steroids. Or about a HE90 with much better PRaT, a bit better detail and soundstage and realism (voices are superb) but a bit lean on bass and with a tad thin sound compared with the fullness of the HE90.

This is using the HEV90 (unfair for the Omega). With the SRM-T1 the tad thin sound dissapears, but some of the detail, soundstage and realism is gone too. Still a worthy rival for the Big O system (a tad better for me and for a Big O owner), but after knowing how good the Omegas were from the HEV90 (apart from a bit thin sounding sometimes on mid-bass) you want more.

An HEV90 with a mid-bass hump will be the perfect partner for the SR-Omega. I'm sure Singlepower or Headamp or Rudistor... can tune their amps for that.

Still... the Big O is smoother and magical but I can't say it's the best headphone I heard no more (and I have a fair large collection). I must say that tastes will come in play here. I can see a lot of people preferring the Big O, specially in short auditions and meets. I think I did prefer it too in short auditions. Perhaps in long ones too.

Beware that Stax are not servicing those headphones anymore! If they get broken, that will be it. Stax can only put OmegaII drivers on them, so they will become a tad weird OmegaIIs with a totally different sound signature that some might not like.

Besides, it is known that they had reliability issues and that the OmegaIIs are much more reliable, so you need a leap of faith on those. The head-fier Akira got them in an auction and they stopped to work after 6 months. That was it. No way to fix them.

Bottom line: They are great, but it is risky. At least Sennheiser still services the Orpheus so that would give me more peace of mind. And I'm not saying this to scare bidders. I won't bid on these.

I wanted to write a review later on but this special chance to get a pair forced me to give some impressions after several weeks of testing the SR-Omegas and the Orpheus system. I hope this helps.

EDIT: Just realized that the number is #146. It seems like these first ones were actually the more prone to fail and that's why Stax changed production, with a different driver and a diferent material for the disk that keeps the mylar in place (from plastic to aluminium?). It is uncertain the serial number on where those changes started to apply. Anybody knows?

This might be an urban mith, though. The reliability problems and the production change are true but I don't know if both things are related and if the first ones are really worse than the last ones.

Dear Nomad,
Thank you very much for your excellent and constructive input. I really appreciate it. I will take my hat off for you.
tongue.gif
tongue.gif
Although I have access to the president of stax, I am worry about reliability problems. Poor Akira....

On the website, I noticed that STAX can replace the unit,as mentioned by you before, what I am not sure is that if it is the sr-omege or sr-007 unit???Secondly, the website also states that the earpad can be replaced depending on cause of damage. Anyway, they have requested that one should check with them first.
Hope this helps and once again thank you sir!
best regards
LS4ME

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #20 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma
We are not trying to be your enemies, but well... posting auction links on head-fi *usually* leads to the listing gaining far more attention than it would/should have. For instance a certain ECR-500 went for an amazing $150 after it was posted on head-fi; the second time it was listed (without anyone noticing it), it went for a mere $30. If you needed more replies on your thread, a simple bump would have sufficed; and you could have asked for a smaller comparison
biggrin.gif
(02 against the 01 instead of 02 vs 01 vs SRXmk3)

Dear Sir,
Publicity is one thing .but access is another.... Do you have access to yahoo japan? If you really want to you could I supposed.... Do you want to go thru' all the problems to convert ringgit to yen for payment and pay taxes and shipping when it arrives iin Malaysia?? There is no paypal, and the seller will not ship internationally. You would have ask a friend to bid for you in Japan and have it send to you in Malaysia sir. If you want it soooo badly just pay up and you will get it.

Secondly how do you bump the thread.????

Thirdly, I asked for comparision of the cans that I like, If you really have to pick on me then , may I send my future threads to you for approval and editing????I still believe in freedom of press and speech.
Thank you very much

Best regards
LS4ME

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #21 of 100
The problem with posting stuff like this up is it drives the price up, and that way everyone losses. It goes without saying that most of us only have a limited amount of funds to work with.

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:50 PM Post #22 of 100
Quote:

Dear Sir,
Publicity is one thing .but access is another.... Do you have access to yahoo japan? If you really want to you could I supposed.... Do you want to go thru' all the problems to convert ringgit to yen for payment and pay taxes and shipping when it arrives iin Malaysia?? There is no paypal, and the seller will not ship internationally. You would have ask a friend to bid for you in Japan and have it send to you in Malaysia sir. If you want it soooo badly just pay up and you will get it.

I don't think he wants to buy them, he was just raising awareness.
Quote:

Secondly how do you bump the thread.????

Type "bump" (or anything else you might want to say) and post it in the thread.
Quote:

Thirdly, I asked for comparision of the cans that I like, If you really have to pick on me then , may I send my future threads to you for approval and editing????I still believe in freedom of press and speech.
Thank you very much

Best regards
LS4ME

Nobody's picking on you, if you carefully read what we're saying. You really don't have to be so quick to defend.

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:52 PM Post #23 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by akwok
The circled mark in the picture, is that fixable?

This seems to be my oppurtunity!

According to the auction, it is a fold created due to normal wear. As I mentioned in the reply thread to NOMAD, you have to discuss the matter with STAX.
Best regards
LS4ME

Jul 14, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #24 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by flamerz
Nobody's picking on you, if you carefully read what we're saying. You really don't have to be so quick to defend.

Right. The internet is part about saying what you want, but it's also about hearing what others have to say. If it wasn't, it would just denigrate into shouting matches without purpose.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:16 PM Post #25 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carl
The problem with posting stuff like this up is it drives the price up, and that way everyone losses. It goes without saying that most of us only have a limited amount of funds to work with.

Your conclusion is false.

You say "everyone loses". Had he not posted it, in fact, "everyone loses" anyway, except for the ONE person who wins the auction. Now, though, by posting, TWO people don't lose. The first is the buyer who wins the auction and obtains an item that he desired at a price he was willing to pay. The second is the seller, who has maximized her price.

This is an economically optimal outcome. Of course this argument has been hashed out in other threads where people complain about posters publicizing auctions. Frankly, I don't understand where the sense of entitlement comes from - just because someone thinks they are the first and only person to spot an auction doesn't mean they are entitled to any protection. There is no logic here.

At any rate, anyone who pays attention to Yahoo Japan related threads realizes that there is a group of Head-fi'ers who monitor Yahoo Japan and are willing to bid on things there.

The only true auction (ebay and YHJ) bargains are the buy-it-nows which are underpriced. But once something is listed in an auction that lasts for a few days, chances are some number of head-fiers are alert to it and will begin bidding on it. They may even publicize it. And I welcome this because, after all, I might like to buy the very thing that they are bringing to light.

So please folks, can we just get over the sense of entitlement that people seem to get when they spot an auction. Good luck to everyone - but really stuff should go to the highest bidder. That is, after all, the very point of the auction format. And if the highest bidder is a johnny-come-lately, well good for him: he got something he wanted a price he was willing to pay. It is worth more in his hands than it is in yours. He is the one entitled to the item, because he was willing to pay for it. Not you because you thought you might snag a bargain.

Admittedly if the OP intends to bid on this SR-Omega auction, it was probably not a good idea for him to publish it, because now he is competing against more bidders. But I'm guessing he won't make that mistake again. Nonetheless, it is his right to do it if he wants, and expressing hostility towards him for doing this is just completely out of line, for the reasons explained above.

(if anyone cares to discuss my position with me, please do so via PM. I will not post again on this thread.)

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:22 PM Post #26 of 100
Don't dive into the conclusion that there is some sense of false entitlement here please, when people do that these discussions always degenerate into pointless head butting.

There's a difference between expressing a preference and expressing an expectation, and the internet is big enough and ugly enough to support the existance of both.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:24 PM Post #27 of 100
Quote:

I don't think he wants to buy them, he was just raising awareness.

Type "bump" (or anything else you might want to say) and post it in the thread.

Awareness is on thing, but access is another. Awareness without access is null.

Thanks for the 'bumping' instructions. pun intended
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I am not on a defend, there is nothing to defend about. I asked for the comparision of 3 cans, Tachikoma suggested that I should as for 2....
with the intention of getting replies. 3 of the top STAX cans should be a good comparision. If a reply came with a constructive input of 2 of the 3 cans requested, I will be very happy. Instead, I got an awful and useless reply. I would rather not have a reply.

I am a newbie in the can world, I know Stax, but I have never thought of spending giga $ on them before. due to work, I needed music and I can not use my systems at night so the only solution are cans.
Thank you for your concern.

Best regards
LSM4ME

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:28 PM Post #28 of 100
Quote:

Originally Posted by heymaceo
Admittedly if the OP intends to bid on this SR-Omega auction, it was probably not a good idea for him to publish it, because now he is competing against more bidders. But I'm guessing he won't make that mistake again. Nonetheless, it is his right to do it if he wants, and expressing hostility towards him for doing this is just completely out of line, for the reasons explained above.

I'm really being sincere when I say there is no hostility from anyone but the OP. People were just saying and explaining what you're saying in this quote, only instead of to each other, to him.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:32 PM Post #29 of 100
Quote:

Awareness is on thing, but access is another. Awareness without access is null.

Although that's a good point, there's a possibility that there are people with access among us, even though it's unlikely/there won't be many.
Quote:

I asked for the comparision of 3 cans, Tachikoma suggested that I should as for 2....
with the intention of getting replies. 3 of the top STAX cans should be a good comparision. If a reply came with a constructive input of 2 of the 3 cans requested, I will be very happy. Instead, I got an awful and useless reply. I would rather not have a reply.

Ah, I see. There was a misunderstanding then.

Jul 14, 2006 at 4:36 PM Post #30 of 100
Quote:

Although that's a good point, there's a possibility that there are people with access among us, even though it's unlikely/there won't be many.

Several. Over ten, certainly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back